mtbr member
    Sep 2017

2017 KM bikepacker setup: Suspension

I just scored a 2017 Karate Monkey (so purple) that I aim to use for a 7-day hut to hut trip in 2018 (Telluride-Moab). This is my first bikepacking adventure, so I'll take any random off-topic advice. On topic, my first question is what front suspension to consider?

Bike is set up as a 29" now, which is fine by me as everything else I have is a 29" too.

I have a Fox Float CTD Evolution on my '13 29" Specialized Stumpy FSR; I could probably loan that fork to the Monkey for a season (steer tube length checks out).

I don't know a lot about Manitou, but one thing I've read stands out: It sounds like they are easier to maintain/repair for the casual mechanic? That seems like a big feature for a multiday trip. Are any of their sub-$500 forks worth considering?

But ideally, I'd just put on a great fork that won't fall apart, so trail maintenance is not a big concern.

Advice?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos View Post
    I just scored a 2017 Karate Monkey (so purple) that I aim to use for a 7-day hut to hut trip in 2018 (Telluride-Moab). This is my first bikepacking adventure, so I'll take any random off-topic advice. On topic, my first question is what front suspension to consider?

Bike is set up as a 29" now, which is fine by me as everything else I have is a 29" too.

I have a Fox Float CTD Evolution on my '13 29" Specialized Stumpy FSR; I could probably loan that fork to the Monkey for a season (steer tube length checks out).

I don't know a lot about Manitou, but one thing I've read stands out: It sounds like they are easier to maintain/repair for the casual mechanic? That seems like a big feature for a multiday trip. Are any of their sub-$500 forks worth considering?

But ideally, I'd just put on a great fork that won't fall apart, so trail maintenance is not a big concern.

Advice?
    Advice is x-post this in the Bikepacking forum.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

MTB B'dos
    I dunno, I might be more inclined to use the rigid fork with all the bosses on there and be able to run another rack or bottle cages and then I'd go for PLUS setup for cush, 29+ front for sure and maybe in the rear as well if it'll fit, if not B+, but that would cost you a new wheelset and tyres for optimum performance. Just my $0.02
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??