Thread: 2014 fox forks

mtbr member

2014 fox forks

I just bought a 32 float ctd 29 with remote. Anyone running this yet?
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Float! Cool! I was stuck buying 29er TALAS 120 remote. Do not like Talas, but I love remote for my singlespeed. 32 stanchion is what I have, wish it was 34. I am envious. Float in black wouldmbemcool with remote (in 120).

mtbr member
    I'll be running this on my SS. I've been rigid since December. I'm not going to know how to act with front squish.

I've read fox has reworked the dampering for the ctd. The "climb" mode is supposed to be very close to fully locked out. That's a huge plus in my book.

It should be here and installed just in time for the ORAMM. Ill definitely post up a review.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

metrotuned WoS
    Possum, I run the 2013 CTD Fox 100 on my 29er SS hardtail. I like the simple three click. Owned the Terralogic and RLC before to compare. The part to dial is the sag and the psi to run... I'm actually still working on that rubber o-ring and getting it dialed so the fork doesn't bottom out nor not stroke enough.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    2014 Fox Float 34 140 on my Rip.
    I weigh 220 and this fork feels really good. Like the rigidity.
    Still playing with rebound and air pressure settings.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Just pulled the trigger on new 2014 PIKE for 26 inch squish. After 10 FOX forks/shocks, I am going in a new direction. Sorry, CTD is not for me, Stanchion creak is a deal breaker on my 60 hour old FOX 32 float 150 CTD. Deal is done. Walked into Wrench Science with $1000 for a FOX 34, walked out with PIKE 35, 160 black with black stanchions (hopefully will ship fast). Will be interesting year ahead to see how it does!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on new 2014 PIKE for 26 inch squish. After 10 FOX forks/shocks, I am going in a new direction. Sorry, CTD is not for me, Stanchion creak is a deal breaker on my 60 hour old FOX 32 float 150 CTD. Deal is done. Walked into Wrench Science with $1000 for a FOX 34, walked out with PIKE 35, 160 black with black stanchions (hopefully will ship fast). Will be interesting year ahead to see how it does!
    I'm on this page...my 34 went back to Fox 4 times for the creaky crown...and on this last/4th time, they said they're just going to send me a new one. It's getting sold so I can go Pike 35 29er.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Awesome picture of Picard! Engage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Awesome picture of Picard! Engage.
    What he's...motioning...isn't really for "engage"...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: 2014 fox forks

Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    I just bought a 32 float ctd 29 with remote. Anyone running this yet?
    Got any photos?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have 2014 120 32 Float CTD remote on my 2013 Rocky Mountain Element RSL 999, it's at Suspension Experts getting serviced also they are changing out Crown to 51mm offset to make bike handle better and steer quicker. Love the fork, the remote works great !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have just put 2014 factory fox float ctd with trail adj and FIT 100mm 29er fork on my 2013 trek superfly al after no end of trouble with the rockshox reba it came with. Great fork although there is very little difference between the trail and descend modes. Also I have fluid coming out of the air valve when I adjust the forks air pressure, is this normal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy1 View Post
    I have just put 2014 factory fox float ctd with trail adj and FIT 100mm 29er fork on my 2013 trek superfly al after no end of trouble with the rockshox reba it came with. Great fork although there is very little difference between the trail and descend modes. Also I have fluid coming out of the air valve when I adjust the forks air pressure, is this normal?
    I have a 120mm and 100mm 2014 and yes it is normal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2014 Fox 32 CTD remote 120mm with custom red stickers from Slik Graphics AB from Sweden 30.00 bucks. I just got the fork back from Suspension Experts, fork now has 51mm offset crown. This will help it steer like a smaller 26 inch bike. Suspension Experts also tuned my rear shock it made a huge difference on my Rocky Mountain Element 999 RSL, 29er. The gold stickers had to go !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 fox forks-p1060341.jpg  

2014 fox forks-p1060337.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love the 51mm offset on my Rocky, I also went to a shorter stem 70mm. The steering is very quick now, but still very stable going fast downhill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 fox forks-p1060386.jpg  

2014 fox forks-p1060374.jpg  

2014 fox forks-p1060369.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've got a 2014 Fox Float CTD remote 100mm on my black diamond overdrive carbon. Generally I like it, I like the remote and the adjustable rebound. I'm still working on finding the sweet spot for air pressure. I've had a couple of rides that I found the o-ring all the way at the top of the stanchion, but I love the way it rides and I don't notice any bob when it's locked out. So far I have no complaints, I'm a bit apprehensive about servicing it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    excuse my ingnorance but what will a 51mm offset to the Crown make on the steering

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roroman66 View Post
    excuse my ingnorance but what will a 51mm offset to the Crown make on the steering
    More offset decreases Trail which quickens steering. If you don't know what Trail is, I think Wikipedia has a pretty good write up.

But on a related question, is fork offset created by both the position of the dropouts and the offset of the crown?
    If so, then a fork with 51mm offset wouldn't have a crown with 51mm offset, so is it a misnomer to call it a 51mm offset crown?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It will make steering quicker, be able to make sharp turns easier. It will make your bike less slacked out, so steeper head angle!! Many people say one of the draw backs to 29er is slow steering, the 51mm offset helps this. Another name is G2 fork, this is what Gary Fisher or Trek uses on their bikes. It's not a bad question at all, many people do not know this. The talk is many companies will be using the 51mm offset on there 29ers to make them handle more like 26ers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    It will make steering quicker, be able to make sharp turns easier. It will make your bike less slacked out, so steeper head angle!! Many people say one of the draw backs to 29er is slow steering, the 51mm offset helps this. Another name is G2 fork, this is what Gary Fisher or Trek uses on their bikes. It's not a bad question at all, many people do not know this. The talk is many companies will be using the 51mm offset on there 29ers to make them handle more like 26ers.
    More offset has a similar affect to increasing head angle by decreasing trail, but it doesn't actually change the head angle, of course.

DHMTBR.com
    Guys,

We all know that Air Pressure (sag) is the key to shock/fork setup. The new CTD systems from Fox ask us to set sag int he Descend mode.

A lot of you have been riding for quite some time now with the new system, and should have your pressure dialed in fairly well?

Fox just upgraded my 2007 Float RLC to a 2015 Float 32 120 on my Santa Cruz Superlight (size small) - I have it set to the recommended air pressure (100psi) for my weight (215 lbs) and one ride on it. I did speed up the rebound quite a bit, which is typical for my area, but what I noticed when I got back to the truck after a 13 mile, 1,800 ft ascent trail ride in the Colorado Mountains - was the o-ring only moved 1/2 way through the stroke? Thinking something was odd, I did check to make sure that it was actually set in Trail mode vs Climb.

This trail was not technical by any means, but there was enough bumps and berms that I would have expected much more travel.

1) Should I expect full travel in Trail Mode?
    2) What do I do with the Trail Adjust control?

Any insight to air pressure.sag setup would be greatly appreciated!

Ride Details & Photos:
    https://plus.google.com/109561737349...ts/Jy9VyA6ai5K
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csgaraglino View Post
    Guys,

We all know that Air Pressure (sag) is the key to shock/fork setup. The new CTD systems from Fox ask us to set sag int he Descend mode.

A lot of you have been riding for quite some time now with the new system, and should have your pressure dialed in fairly well?

Fox just upgraded my 2007 Float RLC to a 2015 Float 32 120 on my Santa Cruz Superlight (size small) - I have it set to the recommended air pressure (100psi) for my weight (215 lbs) and one ride on it. I did speed up the rebound quite a bit, which is typical for my area, but what I noticed when I got back to the truck after a 13 mile, 1,800 ft ascent trail ride in the Colorado Mountains - was the o-ring only moved 1/2 way through the stroke? Thinking something was odd, I did check to make sure that it was actually set in Trail mode vs Climb.

This trail was not technical by any means, but there was enough bumps and berms that I would have expected much more travel.

1) Should I expect full travel in Trail Mode?
    2) What do I do with the Trail Adjust control?

Any insight to air pressure.sag setup would be greatly appreciated!

Ride Details & Photos:
    https://plus.google.com/109561737349...ts/Jy9VyA6ai5K
    Experiment with lower air pressure.
    Fox recommended air pressures are just recommendations. Many riders end up with considerably less psi than Fox recommends for their weight.

On the CTD forks, the CTD adjustments are basically just low speed compression adjustments.
    Descend is wide open with minimal low speed compression damping
    Trail ads a bit of low speed compression damping and the fork becomes less influenced by weight shifts and body input.
    Climb is max low speed compresssion.

Many riders leave the CTD stuff in Trail mode and don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    That ride you did isn't technical, so I'm not sure how much movement you should have gotten. You need to test it on some rocky downhills. I think you should expect full travel in trail mode. The trail mode should give you some platform (low speed compression), but still open up with high speed compression.
    Trail adjust is fine tuning for the trail mode only. So can increase or decrease the amount of platform in trail mode.