mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2014 Fox float 29er fork

Have recently purchased a 2014 fox float ctd w/trail adj FIT 100mm fork and have noticed fluid in the Schrader valve. On earlier models the air and fluid were able to mix but the 2014 model with the FIT bladder system the are now supposed to be kept separate, should I be concerned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just checked the Fox website to see what the oil/fluid levels are, what an aggravating site. t used took terrible date but you could easily find this information...Are you saying that there's not supposed to be any fluid in the air chamber like float fluid to keep it lubricted?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's what I want to know, is the float fluid sealed from the air chamber, therefore it shouldn't be coming through the Schrader valve.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

2014 Fox float 29er fork

Unless the valve core is a bit loose?

mtbr member
    There is 5cc I believe of float fluid in the air chamber, you will get a little residue coming out of the shader valve, completely normal. The fit cartridge is completely seperate a swell as the fork leg oil is seperate as well.

mtbr member
    Float fluid goes in the air chamber. Totally normal to have some come out of the valve when you release air. Put a rag over it before letting air out so it doesn't spray all over you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The fit bladder is in the damper side of the fork. It is a sealed system, meaning as oil flows thru the damper it does so without any air mixing with the oil to keep consistent damping performance.

The air spring is totally different. There is supposed to be some oil in there to lube the air seals. Read up on the fork you have and view the diagram schematics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you let air out do it with your pump attached and in small/short intervals. If you depress the valve with nothing over it and hold it that way you'll likely get a stream of float fluid shooting out with the rush of air.

Don't check your fork air pressure add air withnthe bike upside down on the ground, you'll lose a lot float fluid if you do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all replies, that's what I thought , that it would have some fluid for lubrication, just wanted to check as my previous fork (rockshox reba) didn't do this, may be the reason I had so much trouble with it. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Reba uses globs of grease (red rum) on the piston, not like runny 80w oil that fox uses.