Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2013 RockShox Reba RL Solo Air 100 29er,Tapered

Posted this in the Shocks section but figured it might belong here as well.

I'm in the market for a new front suspension fork and might have found a decent deal on this fork. Can anyone who have used this fork tell me how it performs and how you like it? I know that most if not all Rockshox's models are now solo air so I'm thinking this is a good feature. This will be put on a SC TallboyC and used for mostly XC trails. I have used both the older Reba RL and Fox forks and tend to like Rockshox better. TIA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't think it's a good feature. I wouldn't buy one. Scott and others dropped the Reba from all their bikes and replaced it with the Fox CTD-- which also lacs tunability.
    A dual air 2012 or 2011 is available from bluesky for 350. Put 5 additional psi in the negative over the amount for your weight in the positive. You get small bump compliance.
    A Manitou Tower Pro gives you a shim stack for tuning. That is another good option.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Now that I know how tunable dual air is, I don't plan on going to solo air. I put 20 psi less in the neg chamber, giving me the ride I want. I would never be able to get something close to that in solo air since it equalizes the pressures. I'd go pick up one of the Reba's on bluesky If i were you. I think they have striaght steerers but to my knowledge, you can buy an adapter.

mtbr member
    Going to Solo Air from Dual Air seems like a major downgrade by Rockshox.

I have not ridden the new Solo air but I am not very optimistic about.

Did they drop any weight going Solo Air?

Fox which is basically Solo Air always felt non compliant to me and very difficult to tune. The Dual Air Reba I have on my Anthem X29 is easily tweeked and super plus and compliant compared to the F29's that I had.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    These $350 reba's are 2011's with straight steerers and 9mm dropouts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice.

mtbr member
    I got the 2012 RL DuaL Air 29 from Blue Sky for $350. It's still available:

BlueSkyCycling.com - 2012 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air 29er Fork
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow, that is a smoking price on that fork. My LBS wants $450 for a solo air G2. So is the Dual air a more desirable fork over the solo air?

At this point paying $450 for a solo air just to get the G2 geometry may be something I can overlook if this is a better shock in the end. From what I was told the G2 Geometry only affects the slow speed turning.
    Last edited by TJay74; 10-02-2012 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    So is the Dual air a more desirable fork over the solo air?.
    Dual Air means the fork is more adjustable. I'm not really knowledgeable of how these things work, but I do know that the positive chamber of the Dual is for adjusting travel and sag (based upon rider weight), and the negative chamber is for small bump compliance. I don't know how the Solo works, but the general consensus seems to be that two air chambers are better than one.

ready to ride
    Trust me you want 120mm on your Tallboy. Huge difference IMHO. Right now I am running the recon that came with mine. I had the spacers taken out and big time difference. Its like putting the bike into attack mode. A lot fewer pedal strikes as well. Not sure where you ride but even strictly XC I think the Tallboy shines with a 120mm fork

Unfortunately that rules out the post 2011 Rebas. I will be upgrading this winter, torn between several choices such as the Fox float, White Borthers loop, and the Manitou Tower Pro. I'd get the Reba in a heartbeat if they made them in 120mm tapered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The link that was posted I called, he said the dual air listed is a straight shaft and not tapered as well. I may order one for myself later, they only have 8 of them left.

mtbr member
    The link that was posted I called, he said the dual air listed is a straight shaft and not tapered as well. I may order one for myself later, they only have 8 of them left.
    You won't get better for the $. Also, bear in mind that this comes with a shock pump AND a repair seal kit- something that the 2011 RL Dual does not come with (from Blue Sky because it's an OE version).

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    Posted this in the Shocks section but figured it might belong here as well.

I'm in the market for a new front suspension fork and might have found a decent deal on this fork. Can anyone who have used this fork tell me how it performs and how you like it? I know that most if not all Rockshox's models are now solo air so I'm thinking this is a good feature. This will be put on a SC TallboyC and used for mostly XC trails. I have used both the older Reba RL and Fox forks and tend to like Rockshox better. TIA.
    Yeah, I don't know why taking off the negative air is actually a feature. I love that you can tune dual air for small bump compliance, and spring rate. I can tune it to blow through all of it's travel or very little travel.

Back when I had dual air Rebas, I would put 110 positive and 100 psi negative. BTW, I'm 208# nekkid. I like my forks nice and soft... and I almost never blew through all of the travel, even on my little XC 2' (real) drops to flat, or plowing through rock gardens. If I found I needed a less active fork, you can crank more air in the positive and negative springs and keep the same sag, but with more spring ramp-up.

Great fork as dual air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am going to place an order for the Reba RLT instead, little nicer fork and only $30 more than the regular dual air.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    guys
    I'm looking for info about full RS lineup for 2012 and 2013. SRAM www is not to clear for me when rading about remotes (which are where) and travel length (not sure if SID 2013 can be 120 and 100 by spacer removal?).
    Does anyone have better links?
    I'm looking for SID QR15, tapered 29 with remote. Can be 2012 or 2013.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone can confirm options of SID 29 2013 15mm tapered

1. SID RCT3 2013, 29" MxlLt15 Blk MoCoDNA Taper 120mm
    2. SID XX 2013, Solo Air 29" MxlLt15 White XLoc Rem Taper 100mm
    3. SID XX 2013, Solo Air 29" MxlLt15 White XLoc Rem Taper 120mm
    4. SID XX WCup 2013, 29" MxLt15 Keronite XLoc Rem Cbn Tpr 100mm

Is there any info that SID 100mm can be 120mm just by removing the spacer ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just in case anyone is skeptical of the 2013 REBA performance, don't be. Im 250 lbs and it is the best fork Ive owned. It is plenty stiff even at my weight and was extremely easy to setup (17 percent sag and 2 clicks slower rebound). The two FOX forks that I run on my 2012 Superfly and 2012 Rumblefish Pro do not allow for equal small bump compliance while maintaining middle stroke performance. Both do not use all their travel. Before trying the REBA RLT on my Cannondale SL3 Single Speed, I was ignorantly blissful of the performance of Fox Forks on the mentioned bikes. The REBA on the c-dale is setup 100mm, tapered, 15mm axle. I'm now disappointed in the performance of the 2012 Fox Shocks, especially the uber expensive DRCV Kashima on the Rumblefish Pro. For reference, the REBA RLT was purchased off of Ebay for 500 delivered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I love the Rebat RLT as of now, the bike rieds more planted and is not washing out in the corners as bas as it was before and is alot more stable over the bumps, jumps, and whoops now.

The mechanic set mine up with 135psi in the top and 130psi in the bottom, I have not played with the rebound yet as it is riding too good to mess with it right now. Wheels (Stans Arch Ex) and rotors are to be ordered today and then convert over to tubeless as well.

mtbr member
    I love the Rebat RLT as of now, the bike rieds more planted and is not washing out in the corners as bas as it was before and is alot more stable over the bumps, jumps, and whoops now.

The mechanic set mine up with 135psi in the top and 130psi in the bottom, I have not played with the rebound yet as it is riding too good to mess with it right now. Wheels (Stans Arch Ex) and rotors are to be ordered today and then convert over to tubeless as well.
    If the mechanic put pressure in the upper and lower air chamber, then your fork is not a 2013 model. The 2013 has a single solo air chamber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    If the mechanic put pressure in the upper and lower air chamber, then your fork is not a 2013 model. The 2013 has a single solo air chamber.
    I bought the 2011 Reba RLT dual air instead of the single air.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    Just in case anyone is skeptical of the 2013 REBA performance, don't be. Im 250 lbs and it is the best fork Ive owned. It is plenty stiff even at my weight and was extremely easy to setup (17 percent sag and 2 clicks slower rebound). The two FOX forks that I run on my 2012 Superfly and 2012 Rumblefish Pro do not allow for equal small bump compliance while maintaining middle stroke performance. Both do not use all their travel. Before trying the REBA RLT on my Cannondale SL3 Single Speed, I was ignorantly blissful of the performance of Fox Forks on the mentioned bikes. The REBA on the c-dale is setup 100mm, tapered, 15mm axle. I'm now disappointed in the performance of the 2012 Fox Shocks, especially the uber expensive DRCV Kashima on the Rumblefish Pro. For reference, the REBA RLT was purchased off of Ebay for 500 delivered.
    Agreed. 2013 SID XX and the fork feels very nice. I've had Fox and Lefty's and gotta say the 2013 SID XX is good.

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 110mm SID RLT on my Spec Camber. Same complaint, feels harsh on small bumps. I have noticed that the recommended PSI settings are a bit high for my less aggressive XC type riding. The only thing that helped was turning the air pressure down to about 100psi from the recommended 125psi for my weight of 190 #'s. This made a big change in the fork as far as harshness and I didn't notice any real drawbacks. I thought I might have bottomed the fork out late in the ride on a log but still used only 90mm of travel.

Is anyone riding the 2013 RCT3? Does it help with have small bump tune ability?

Does anyone know if the RCT3 dampening cartridge is interchangeable with the RLT cartridge?
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought a 2011 Reba RLT Ti dual air, tapered, 120mm, 20mm TA. Installed it today and hope to get a ride on it soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How do you know whether or not you need tapered? Looking for a solid replacement to my stock XC30 and would like remote lockout. I ride a Felt Nine 60. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    How do you know whether or not you need tapered? Looking for a solid replacement to my stock XC30 and would like remote lockout. I ride a Felt Nine 60. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Look at the bottom of the head tube on your frame. If the circumference and diameter is larger at the bottom than the top of the head tube, you need tapered

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast