Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Hello

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MObiker View Post
    I have a 2013 110mm SID RLT on my Spec Camber. Same complaint, feels harsh on small bumps. I have noticed that the recommended PSI settings are a bit high for my less aggressive XC type riding. The only thing that helped was turning the air pressure down to about 100psi from the recommended 125psi for my weight of 190 #'s. This made a big change in the fork as far as harshness and I didn't notice any real drawbacks. I thought I might have bottomed the fork out late in the ride on a log but still used only 90mm of travel.

    Is anyone riding the 2013 RCT3? Does it help with have small bump tune ability?

    Does anyone know if the RCT3 dampening cartridge is interchangeable with the RLT cartridge?
    Hi
    I have a question to You about your RS SID 2013 Solo Air. I plans to purchase the same fork but I'm afraid of Solo Air. Do you lost some travel when you reduced the pressure in the chamber? I hesitate between the 2012 Dual Air and 2013 Solo Air and so far I have heard nothing but bad reviews of Solo Air. Do you have any comparison to the Dual Air fork... what do you suggest? I would add that I am a light weight rider and do not want to lose travel gaining softness and sensitivity. Now I haw RS SID Team Dual Air and I like the way It works and do not want to lose it by buying a new fork.

    Could You help me guys?

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    111

    Solo air

    I have 2013 sid 120mm solo air and love it.If you read comparisons some people prefer tunability of dual air.I prefer solo air after having several dual air revelation XX forks leak air from one chamber to the other.My 2013 Sid relalced my2012 fox Kashima Talus on a niner RDO it is also a 1/2 pound lighter.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    I forgot to mention that I'm talking about XC fork with 100mm travel. you can not compare the 120 to 100 where it is a completely different style of riding and there is a different sensitivity of these forks. The second issue is that I ride a 26er. Does anyone have a comparison of SA to DA does anyone ridden on both types of forks?

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by mixchris View Post
    I forgot to mention that I'm talking about XC fork with 100mm travel. you can not compare the 120 to 100 where it is a completely different style of riding and there is a different sensitivity of these forks.

    Different sensitivity? So You mean different materials used ? As far as i know You can make 100mm from 120mm by spacer removal - won't it work as factory 100mm fork ?

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    I don't know? That why I'm asking You guys. I think that they have different "feeling" because of different travel. That's all... and I think it's hard to compare 120 to 100 but I could be wrong... Anyone compared the SA with DA in reality?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thasingletrackmastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    330
    I have both the Fox F29 RL and the Reba 29 RL soloair 2013.
    The Fox is still going strong after several years and only 1 service.

    The reason for buying the (tapered) Reba was the tapered headtube of my new bike.
    New bike, so I only use it for holidays and sunny rides.
    The Fox is in my old bike, which I now use for bad weather. We have a lot of mud and rain in the wintertime.

    But I had to take the Reba apart after just 3 weeks of riding in Sunny Italy and France. It got very sticky,right to the point where it wouldn't move at all. :-(
    Surprise surprise, there was almost no oil inside.
    The fork hadn't leaked, so I guess there was never enough oil from the start.
    After some TLC the Reba works fine, now let's see if it lasts as long as the Fox .?.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

  8. #33
    Village Newbie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Is it possible to convert a tapered head tube to straight tube without sacrificing durability? In a case such as a 2012 Marlin and wanting to upgrade to a 2011 Reba RLT DA fork or anything other than stock?

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MObiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by mixchris View Post
    Hi
    I have a question to You about your RS SID 2013 Solo Air. I plans to purchase the same fork but I'm afraid of Solo Air. Do you lost some travel when you reduced the pressure in the chamber? I hesitate between the 2012 Dual Air and 2013 Solo Air and so far I have heard nothing but bad reviews of Solo Air. Do you have any comparison to the Dual Air fork... what do you suggest? I would add that I am a light weight rider and do not want to lose travel gaining softness and sensitivity. Now I haw RS SID Team Dual Air and I like the way It works and do not want to lose it by buying a new fork.

    Could You help me guys?
    After several more rides I have gotten used to the 2013 SID. I am running about 95 psi for my 190 # weight and it feels pretty good. I have an 80mm dual air Reba on my HT Spec Stumpy. It works real well but with such short travel it's hard to compare. I'm not really sure the threshold on the RLT amounts to much, an RL is probably just as good. I don't think you can go wrong with the solo air, just ignore the suggested air pressure !! I think most of these fork options these days are pretty sweat. Hard to go wrong.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    250
    I have a 2 week old SID XX 29" tapered w/Remote Lockout avail. I bought it brand new from my LBS for my Felt bike which is being replaced by a new Soma Juice. The Juice requires a straight steerer tube. I will be looking for something as close to the SID as I can find as I loved what little use I got from it (less than 20 miles). PM me if interested.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MObiker View Post
    After several more rides I have gotten used to the 2013 SID. I am running about 95 psi for my 190 # weight and it feels pretty good. I have an 80mm dual air Reba on my HT Spec Stumpy. It works real well but with such short travel it's hard to compare. I'm not really sure the threshold on the RLT amounts to much, an RL is probably just as good. I don't think you can go wrong with the solo air, just ignore the suggested air pressure !! I think most of these fork options these days are pretty sweat. Hard to go wrong.
    Thanks for your answer Probably You have right but I have one more question. When You are changing pressure in the fork (Solo Air) the travel of fork is changing as well? I like when the fork is really soft but I don't wont to lose travel.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thasingletrackmastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    330
    Less psi means more sag.
    Normaly you would have about 20% sag (XC), which means you have 80% travel left.
    However, sag does not reduce travel.
    Whitout sag you would have a harsh fork which only uses the first 80% of it's travel (at most, 50% is more likely).
    With sag you have a plush fork which uses all of it's travel, starting at 20%.

    So, reducing pressure does not actualy reduce travel.
    The right pressure enables you to use the full potential of your suspension.
    Remember, RS tables are way to high, so most of the time this means you have te reduce pressure.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Yes I totally agree with You but in my actual fork (SID Team dual air) I have issue that when I put less air to the fork to have more plush filling I'm losing about 10% of travel with 20% of sag. So in fact, I have 90mm of travel and I should have 100. When I gone put more pressure to the fork I have 100mm of travel and sag is still 20% but it is not so sensitive any more. So do You understand my problem? I'm afraid that with Solo Air I had the same problem but with my Dual Air fork I could solve that problem with putting different pressure to the chambers in Sol Air fork it's impossible.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thasingletrackmastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    330
    The dual-air has a positive and a negative airspring.
    The solo-air only has a positive airspring, the negative spring is steel and not adjustable.
    So, with dual air you can adjust both the positive and the negative springrate, with solo air only the positive.
    In a dual air fork, if you lower the pos.pressure, you'll also have to lower the neg.pressure by about the same percentage.
    Ifyou don't, you'll lose a lot of travel.

    Dual-air is better to set up, solo-air is easier to set up.
    RS had some issues with dual-air, that's why they switched to solo-air.
    Solo air is also cheaper
    I have no problem with RS's choice for solo-air.
    But I do (did) have a problem with the forklegs sticking in place.
    I had the same problem with my old Reba (dual air) and my Recon (U-turn steel spring).
    Maybe next year they'll use better seals, fill up enough oil and use enough lubrication at fabrication.
    But you get what you pay for. Overhere (Europe), Fox is almost 3 times as expensive as RS.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: heavyd66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    49
    i just bought a 2013 epic with the Reba RL 100mm solo air and need to know how much to pump it up im 245lbs with gear. thanks

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mixchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Look at the Rock Shox web page there you will find an Air Chart for 2013 RS forks so help yourself but I advise you to inflate about 135psi because RS Air Chart is WAY overstated. 135psi is a good start for your weight. The best way to set up your fork is to set up by sag. You can read about it on RS web page too just find Service Tab below the page and find there PDF named "Tuning Guide - RockShox Dual Air 2001-2012" I know it's for Dual Air but the idea is the same look at the page 9 I recommend 20% of sag its best set up but experimenting is always welcome

    P.S

    I do not have enough posts to give direct links

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    The dual-air has a positive and a negative airspring.
    The solo-air only has a positive airspring, the negative spring is steel and not adjustable.
    So, with dual air you can adjust both the positive and the negative springrate, with solo air only the positive.
    In a dual air fork, if you lower the pos.pressure, you'll also have to lower the neg.pressure by about the same percentage.
    Ifyou don't, you'll lose a lot of travel.

    Dual-air is better to set up, solo-air is easier to set up.
    RS had some issues with dual-air, that's why they switched to solo-air.
    Solo air is also cheaper
    I have no problem with RS's choice for solo-air.
    But I do (did) have a problem with the forklegs sticking in place.
    I had the same problem with my old Reba (dual air) and my Recon (U-turn steel spring).
    Maybe next year they'll use better seals, fill up enough oil and use enough lubrication at fabrication.
    But you get what you pay for. Overhere (Europe), Fox is almost 3 times as expensive as RS.

    Actually, there is not a steel mechanical spring in the solo air design. It's still a dual air chamber (pos and neg) design just like the dual air design. The difference in solo air and dual air is input. There are two independent input valves for dual air forks and a single valve for the solo air forks. Pressure in the two air chambers is kept equal by a check valve. You can read about the design in this article.

    Unboxed, Weighed & First Rides – 2013 SID XX World Cup Fork - Bike Rumor

    I have both a 2013 SID RCT3 and a 2011 Reba RLT. The SID is a little lighter (1660 grams with 15mm thru axle for the SID, 1800 with 20mm TA for the Reba). My SID is quite new and not broken in but like others have posted, I find that I need to run less pressure in the SID than recommended (currently 90 vs. 120) for my weight. I like to run about 25% sag with both forks. One you equalize the sag, the forks feel quite similar.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    103
    None of the bluesky sale forks are tapered and none are 15mm thru axle.. as usual

    if you want a new fork with these features especially in the color black be ready to shuck out 600-900 bucks...

  19. #44
    rth009
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    286
    Does anyone know if RockShox made any 2013 Reba RLT 29s tapered 15mm that DO NOT have remote lockout?

    Also, if I buy one with a pushloc remote, can I just take it off?

    Thanks,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •