Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2013 Reba RL 29 and Reba RLT 29 100mm Travel adjustable to 120mm?

I am having a hard time finding 120mm 29er forks that are 15mm thru axle. There are a few more offerings in QR but still not many. I prefer Rock Shox, mostly because of price.

Does anyone know if the new 2013 Solo Air Reba RL and RLT 29 100mm forks can be increased to 120mm? When I look on the website it says the forks are "80mm/ 100mm/ 120mm". I am hoping its all one fork with internally adjustable travel, and not 2 or 3 differant forks like 2012.

It seems the 100mm are starting to become plentiful, and are a good value, but I can't find the 120's.

Also if anyone has a 120mm 15qr fork you are looking to sell please PM me.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The newer Reba's are adjustable between 80/100/120 with spacers...and they might even be able to do 10mm increments, I forget the exact specs. I'm guessing 100mm is the most popular so it's more common to find them set at 100. The SIDs are the ones you need to be careful with. They have a version that can be run at 100mm or less only...and a different one that comes set at 120 which can be reduced. You can't increase the travel on the 100mm version with just spacers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You might wanna get a second opinion. I thought all the Reba's could be changed with spacers up to 120...but saw another thread where someome mentioned the newest versions are the same as the Sid..only go to 120mm if it's set that way from the factory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For 2013, they did away with dual air and the ability to adjust travel. There are no more spacers. You need to replace the air spring assembly to change travel.

EDIT: Also, you're kind of stuck between model year change over for Rockshox. SRAM made significant changes to the 2013 forks and they haven't made their way into the sales channel quite yet. The Manitou Tower Pro is another good alternative, but they seem to be sold out in the configuration you're looking for. You can try looking in to the X-Fusion Slide RL2. I'd suggest calling X-Fusion direct and see if they have any 120mm tapered 15mm's in stock.

Edit Part 2: Pricepoint has the Tower Pro/Tapered/15 for $500. I'd jump on that before they're gone.
    Last edited by car_nut; 02-13-2013 at 06:00 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    For 2013, they did away with dual air and the ability to adjust travel. There are no more spacers. You need to replace the air spring assembly to change travel.
    This is what I was told.

I thought dual air was a serious pain in the ass. But the adjustability with the spacers was awesome.

For what it's worth - the White brothers loop comes in 80/100/120 and 130/140 versions. It takes a few more minutes to change compared to the RS forks but it's still really easy. I've been really really happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm following this thread because i'm also wondering if I can adjust the travel of my Reba RLT 29er from 100 to 120mm.
    I bought my bike in january 2012.
    How can I determine what year my Reba is?
    Is it really that simple to remove the spacers?
    I do all the work on the bike myself only the fork scares me a bit.
    Trek Madone 3.5 (’15)
    Canyon Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9 SL (’14)
    Bulls Black Adder 29 (’12)
    Bulls Copperhead 3 26” (’11)

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aandegrens View Post
    No way you have a 2013 fork.

Sram has videos on you tube showing how to work on the fork. You'll see the spacers when you're in there. They just click on the air sleeve shaft. Very easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aandegrens View Post
    I'm following this thread because i'm also wondering if I can adjust the travel of my Reba RLT 29er from 100 to 120mm.
    How can I determine what year my Reba is?
    Is it really that simple to remove the spacers?
    I do all the work on the bike myself only the fork scares me a bit.
    You probably have a 2012 Fork. The one thing I do know is that on 2012 Forks you cannot change the travel with spacers. If you have a 2011 there are some threads that say you can.

Apparently I had bad info....so disregard my post. Sorry
    Last edited by Venturewest; 02-13-2013 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    The newer Reba's are adjustable between 80/100/120 with spacers...and they might even be able to do 10mm increments, I forget the exact specs. I'm guessing 100mm is the most popular so it's more common to find them set at 100. The SIDs are the ones you need to be careful with. They have a version that can be run at 100mm or less only...and a different one that comes set at 120 which can be reduced. You can't increase the travel on the 100mm version with just spacers.
    What years are you talking about specifically? I know that 2012's do not adjust with spacers. Did they go back to this in 2012?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

EDIT: Also, you're kind of stuck between model year change over for Rockshox. SRAM made significant changes to the 2013 forks and they haven't made their way into the sales channel quite yet. The Manitou Tower Pro is another good alternative, but they seem to be sold out in the configuration you're looking for. You can try looking in to the X-Fusion Slide RL2. I'd suggest calling X-Fusion direct and see if they have any 120mm tapered 15mm's in stock.

Edit Part 2: Pricepoint has the Tower Pro/Tapered/15 for $500. I'd jump on that before they're gone.
    I downloaded the 2013 Rock Shox Spare parts catalog. It appears that it is true that there are separate part numbers for each air spring assembly of each travel.

There are some 2013 solo spring rebas on ebay now. I haven't seen any in 120mm though.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    I know that 2012's do not adjust with spacers.
    Yes they do.

2012 rebas are the only year that they had the SID lowers with dual air and travel spacers.

AZ
    banned
    My 2012 Reba RL 100mm Dual Air came with travel spacers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am seriously confused now. I have read many threads that say the opposite. Are you saying the 2009-2011 Reba's didn't have adjustable travel? Are you talking about the 29 Rebas?

So just to clarify, you can definitely remove the spacers from a 100mm Reba and increase travel to 120mm? Since I have heard conflicting information on this do you have a source? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yes they do.

2012 rebas are the only year that they had the SID lowers with dual air and travel spacers.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    I am seriously confused now. I have read many threads that say the opposite. Are you saying the 2009-2011 Reba's didn't have adjustable travel? Are you talking about the 29 Rebas?
    They all have spacers through 2012 and are adjustable. 26 and 29

2013s not adjustable.

2012 rebas are like a hybrid of the 09-11 reba and the '12 SID (sid lowers, reba uppers, reba air spring with adjustable travel). They are a pretty nice fork if dual air doesn't annoy the **** out of you like it did to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2013s not adjustable.

2012 rebas are like a hybrid of the 09-11 reba and the '12 SID (sid lowers, reba uppers, reba air spring with adjustable travel). They are a pretty nice fork if dual air doesn't annoy the **** out of you like it did to me.
    That is sweet info! You can actually get a 2012 with 15mm axle. I could only find 2011 with 20mm or qr.

ready to ride
    Should be noted that the 2012s do not adjust 120mm. They are 80/100 only. Which is done for the op.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FYI, The 2012 RL can not go to 120mm... I tried... and the uppers are different length than the RLT model... even the lowers were different... I tried mixing parts with two forks to give me a tapered head tube ( RL model ) with my RLT 9mm lowers... no go...

You at least want the RLT model... My 2011 RLT went to 120mm no problems...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Should be noted that the 2012s do not adjust 120mm. They are 80/100 only. Which is done for the op.
    Now that is what I was afraid of. That is what I have heard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting, I bought my 120mm SID Solo Air assuming it could be spaced down to 100mm. Oh well, hope I like it at 120!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Seriously. Look into these.

Manitou Tower Pro 29er QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Interesting, I bought my 120mm SID Solo Air assuming it could be spaced down to 100mm. Oh well, hope I like it at 120!
    Where did you find your 120mm solo air? I am in the market!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I got it off ebay from "ninjashipper". Appears to be sold out though:
    RockShox Sid RCT3 Solo Air Fork 120mm 29" Black 00 4018 238 004 New | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have only a 2012 RS Reba RLT 29er QR15 fork but that version is adjustable internally between 80 and 100 mm with travel spacer. This version is definitely NOT convertible to 120mm. You can take a look to the right side stanchion where you can also check whether the CSU is capable to 120 or it can be used only with 80 or 100mm setting. (Regarding the travel adjustment: I bought the 2012 version as an aftermarket fork and a spacer (and also a service kit) was included to it.) I need to mention, I have seen a 2012 RS Reba RLT Ti in a stock Niner R.I.P. with 120mm travel - probably Niner ordered a special version from RS. This means, you may have the possibility to found an OEM 2012 dual-air version which is capable to 120mm of travel.

Regarding the 2013 RS Reba RL/RLTs: I can confirm the information that was mentioned earlier. According to the 2013 Reba Service Manual, travel is adjustable only by changing air spring assembly. You can find the documentation here:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Bh...ice_manual.pdf

"To change the travel in your suspension fork, replace the entire solo air spring assembly according to the directions below. For part number information, please refer to the Spare Parts Catalog available on our website at sram.com/service. For ordering information, please contact your local SRAM distributor or dealer."
    (page 10)
    ___
    2016 Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9 tuned (fully-rigid, 1x11)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    White Brothers Loop (80-120mm adjustable) sweet fork!
    (a bit spender than the reba, tho)

mtbr member
    My fork (I think) is a 2012 Reba RL 29" (solo air) and it shows the the 120mm sag indication on the side of the fork... does this mean it is capable of being extended to 120mm?

I emailed Bikes Direct (I have a Moto Fly Ti 29er) to see if they can provide any input, but I have my reservations... If I can increase the travel, I'd be all for it, but I'd rather not pull the fork apart just to see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    2012 Reba RL 29"... 100mm is the max...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    My fork (I think) is a 2012 Reba RL 29" (solo air) and it shows the the 120mm sag indication on the side of the fork... does this mean it is capable of being extended to 120mm?

I emailed Bikes Direct (I have a Moto Fly Ti 29er) to see if they can provide any input, but I have my reservations... If I can increase the travel, I'd be all for it, but I'd rather not pull the fork apart just to see.
    I have a feeling its not a 2012. If it's a 2011, as I suspect, and it has the marks for 120 on it, you should be good to go. If you can post a good pic of the lowers I can tell you.

mtbr member
    Just to add a bit of closure to this (at least for those with a 2013 fork...), I contacted Bikes Direct (where I bought my bike) and this was their response:

"If your fork is a dual air fork then it is most likely a 2012 fork. If it is a solo air fork it is most likely a 2013 fork.

For 2013, Rockshox dropped the Dual Air spring technology in favor of Solo Air systems across the board.

For the unfamiliar, Dual Air provided separate valves for the positive and negative air chambers, letting you fine tune the beginning stroke feel of the fork by putting slightly more or less pressure in the negative.

SID Product Manager Jed Douglas said the move allowed them to simplify the system by removing the second air valve and a few internal bits. A side benefit is it saves about 10g of unsprung weight.

Jeremiah Boobar, one of Rockshox’s suspension engineers, and he said the forks feel as good or better than the heavier and more complex dual air system from before.

If you call SRAM/Rockshox directly with the serial number of the fork I'm sure they can let you know if the travel of that fork can be changed, as the serial number will help them pull up all of the info related to that specific fork."

So I called SRAM and gave them my fork's serial number, and the tech told me that it's possible to convert the fork to 120mm, but in order to do that I would need a longer air spring, different fork lowers with the 15mm thru axle, and the correct bushings. Even though my fork stanchions have the 120mm sag meter, I'd still have to replace a lot of things to gain an extra 20mm.

So essentially, if you have a solo air fork, and unless you want to buy a bunch or parts... the fork is essentially set at the travel you bought it at. Personally, I just wanted an easy extra 20mm, but I'm doing fine with 100... Hope this helps.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    So you're SURE your bike came with a 2013 solo air ? You said before - 2012 solo air - there is no such thing. Obviously if it says solo air on it then it's a '13.

mtbr member
    So you're SURE your bike came with a 2013 solo air ? You said before - 2012 solo air - there is no such thing. Obviously if it says solo air on it then it's a '13.
    I only said that because I ordered the bike in 2012... I had no idea what model year the fork was because I was ordered my bike right at the point where they were shipping the 2013 setup. I gave the SRAM tech my serial number, so I have to assume that what he told me was correct.

Again, I didn't buy the bike assuming I could stretch the travel... that was just something I found out after and wanted to look into it further. Honestly, I don't really know if a titanium hardtail 29er would benefit much from 20mm more.. it might make things worse, not better. At least in my case, it's probably better this way anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    ...the tech told me that it's possible to convert the fork to 120mm, but in order to do that I would need a longer air spring, different fork lowers with the 15mm thru axle, and the correct bushings. Even though my fork stanchions have the 120mm sag meter, I'd still have to replace a lot of things to gain an extra 20mm.

I have the 2013 Reba RL 100mm, also trying to find out whether it will adapt with relative ease to 120mm to pair with a new FS frame I'm considering.
    Found this page of air assemblies:
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Solo Air Spring Kits
    which if the only thing required is fairly painless. I would assume these assemblies came with the right bushings etc you mentioned? My lowers already feature the 15mm maxle, or did you mean another, bigger set of lowers for the longer travel?
    Can anyone confirm my assumptions? Hard to find any info on this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyhanway View Post
    I have the 2013 Reba RL 100mm, also trying to find out whether it will adapt with relative ease to 120mm to pair with a new FS frame I'm considering.
    Found this page of air assemblies:
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Solo Air Spring Kits
    which if the only thing required is fairly painless. I would assume these assemblies came with the right bushings etc you mentioned? My lowers already feature the 15mm maxle, or did you mean another, bigger set of lowers for the longer travel?
    Can anyone confirm my assumptions? Hard to find any info on this.
    Honestly, I think the tech I spoke to was mis-informed or was just making stuff up... If you look at the 2013 Rock Shox service manual it clearly states that for increasing or decreasing the travel, you need a specific length air spring... nothing more. It seems ridiculous that additional travel would require a bigger axle. To that end, I haven't researched the topic further, but I have seen that Universal Cycles has the specific air spring that both you and I would need to go to 120mm. Maybe try calling SRAM tech support and see if they give you a different answer... I'm sure plenty of other people going forward would like to know for sure what the answer to this simple question is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'll struggle to call them direct (I'm in New Zealand), going to try and find an email address. I'll report back here if I hear anything.
    Cheers man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I heard back, I'm going to ask the SRAM tech if he doesn't mind me quoting his reply in it's entirety just for the record,

but the short answer is NO.

Glad I found that out before I dropped $100 on the air assembly.
    In short, the CSU, the rebound damper side, and the bushings in the lowers, are all different between 100mm and 120mm forks. Specifically OEM forks and QR versions, but probably other models too. Unfortunately not as simple as just adding in a longer air assembly.

What a shame.

mtbr member
    Well that settles that, lol. I'm curious though... why are they selling those airsprings then? Is it simply for replacement purposes? Either way, this is saving me money, so I should be somewhat thankful. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah I'm curious about that too, surely they don't wear any quicker than the rest of the fork...
    With regards to the CSU he mentioned that if there are gradient markings on it for 120mm then it will accept 120mm. I can't tell on my fork without taking it apart (the markings only show to 100mm before disappearing into the lower).
    Then I guess if you knew how to set the lower bushing position for 120mm, and could also find a 120mm spare for the damper side you would be in business. Sounds like a lot more work though huh. Not to mention the risk.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it'd be easier just to sell it and buy a used revelation or something... But I think I'm fine with 100mm... it's a hardtail after all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So I asked permission to post the contents of my email exchange with SRAM, this is the official word:

"The 100mm versions of the REBA have different parts than the 120mm versions. In order to extend the travel, the CSU would need to be designed to accept the 120mm travel change. This is easily identified by 120mm gradient marks on the right stanchion. On the 29er forks, only the 15Maxle Lowers designed for 120mm can accept the 120mm travel change. There are 15Maxle Lowers designed for 100mm that have a different bushing placement than the 120mm version. All QR lowers are designed only to accept the 100mm travel. A fork with 100mm Lowers would not have the proper over lap between the stanchions and bushings when extended to 120mm. The rebound damper shaft needs to be the longer version to accept the 120mm travel otherwise the shorter shaft used in the 100mm fork would prevent the fork from extending to 120mm."

My CSU clearly does not extend to 120mm — the markings only go up to 100mm. Makes it an easy decision for me

I have to say a big thanks to the guy at SRAM replaying to my emails, he was very responsive, informative and provided me with some much needed clarity on this. Cheers.

ballbuster

2013s not adjustable.

Really? I loved Dual Air. Once you figure it out (and the instructions are not much help at this) it is way adjustable. I like my forks soft and set up so they blow through their travel more easily than most folks like. Hey, I got wrist pain issues...

First off, the manual says to jam like 160 psi in there if you weigh 200-ish pounds like I do, top and bottom, or some stupid thing like that. For my weight, I found 110/110 worked perfectly.

More air in both chambers makes the fork feel harder, and doesn't use it's travel as much, but it can take a bigger hit without bottoming out.

Less air makes it softer feeling... more bob, etc... but I used the Motion Control as a hard lockout, so bob isn't an issue.

I use the negative/positive air ratio for setting the sag. In other words, for max soft cush, I could do 80 psi in the top and 0 in the bottom and it would have about the same sag as 110/110... but it would blow through the travel if you looked at it funny. You can get the same sag out of 150+/170- at my same weight, but it would feel harder.

So, go forth and experiment with it!

Yeah, Solo air is stupid, IMO. That is one thing that would keep me from buying a Reba. The Lefty forks I now use are solo positive air with auto-setting negative. But, if I don't use the air chamber volume limiter for 29er forks, I get the same soft feel I liked in my dual air Reba.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is the response I got from SRAM today:-

''You should be able to convert the fork to 120mm travel by installing a 120mm air spring. It is also essential, if you are currently running quick release lowers, to install lowers with a 15mm axle. The warranty is void if you run the fork at 120 with a quick release.''

That was in response to me asking this question:-

''I have a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon with the Reba RL 29 solo air shock. It has 110 mm of travel but has visible markings on it showing 120mm.

I have read that it is potentially possible to convert the fork to 120mm. Are you able to confirm if this is true and what it would involve doing?''

two wheel whore
    Bumping this up, to me it looks like you can change the travel on the 2013's (page 11) http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/oV...ice_manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Alright. So I have a 110mm 2013 Reba RL 29 that came stock on a Specialized camber with the painful proprietary OS28 end caps. The right stanchion shows travel indication up to 120mm. I'm looking to buy the 120mm air spring kit outlined here Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Solo Air Spring Kits and extend the travel out 10mm (and slacken the head angle a smidge).

From the informative discussion in this thread it appears that my main issue it that extending a QR fork to 120mm voids warranty (despite all indications that this fork has the capacity to do so). Thoughts? I'm thinking I might just do it to be honest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a feeling its not a 2012. If it's a 2011, as I suspect, and it has the marks for 120 on it, you should be good to go. If you can post a good pic of the lowers I can tell you.
    Any chance that offer still applies?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Reba RL 29 and Reba RLT 29 100mm Travel adjustable to 120mm?-hubmarket-50283-0-13147600-1402573894.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm looking at the parts list from the SRAM website for 2012-2014 Reba RL shock. It only list one part number for the "rebound damper and seal head assembly" (11.4018.025.000), so this should mean that the damper is the same on both the 100mm and 120mm shocks.

... But if you increase the air spring side with a longer air shaft and use the same internals for the damper side, how would it compensate for the additional 20mm?

Also, I do not see any part numbers for 120mm specific CSU's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just bought a 2014 demo Camber comp. It had been upgraded with a reba but it was only a 100mm. I am changing it to 120mm.
    The bike shop rang the Australian rockshok importer and they said I only need a new air spring. $40. seems to cheap to me but we'll see what i get.
    Pity there is a 6 week wait for it
    Uppo

Warrior's Society
    My understanding is when they went to 15QR, the Reba was split into 2......Reba was 80-100mm 15QR / Revelation 100-140mm 20mm Maxle.

My wife's 2011 Reba RL can only go up to 100mm.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Delete
    Last edited by TMO8853; 08-11-2014 at 01:07 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Can this 2012 Dual Air SID XX 29 go 120mm? Fork is set slightly past the 100mm mark:

2013 Reba RL 29 and Reba RLT 29 100mm Travel adjustable to 120mm?-sidxx.jpg
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    So, I'm looking for slightly different info about converting my forks travel down from 120mm to either 80 or 100mm.

RockShox Reba RL Maxle Lite Tapered Steerer Crown Adjust Solo 120mm Air Fork, Black, 26-Inch:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Bought this fork assuming I could add spacers to drop the trav, but reading this realize not a simple as it use to be. So, am I looking for new spring assembly?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    '11 Kona Kula Watt

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    So, I'm looking for slightly different info about converting my forks travel down from 120mm to either 80 or 100mm.

RockShox Reba RL Maxle Lite Tapered Steerer Crown Adjust Solo 120mm Air Fork, Black, 26-Inch:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Bought this fork assuming I could add spacers to drop the trav, but reading this realize not a simple as it use to be. So, am I looking for new spring assembly?
    Too bad you aren't 29er....I'd gladly trade you my SID XX for it!
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast