Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2013 Reba RL 29 and Reba RLT 29 100mm Travel adjustable to 120mm?

I am having a hard time finding 120mm 29er forks that are 15mm thru axle. There are a few more offerings in QR but still not many. I prefer Rock Shox, mostly because of price.

Does anyone know if the new 2013 Solo Air Reba RL and RLT 29 100mm forks can be increased to 120mm? When I look on the website it says the forks are "80mm/ 100mm/ 120mm". I am hoping its all one fork with internally adjustable travel, and not 2 or 3 differant forks like 2012.

It seems the 100mm are starting to become plentiful, and are a good value, but I can't find the 120's.

Also if anyone has a 120mm 15qr fork you are looking to sell please PM me.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The newer Reba's are adjustable between 80/100/120 with spacers...and they might even be able to do 10mm increments, I forget the exact specs. I'm guessing 100mm is the most popular so it's more common to find them set at 100. The SIDs are the ones you need to be careful with. They have a version that can be run at 100mm or less only...and a different one that comes set at 120 which can be reduced. You can't increase the travel on the 100mm version with just spacers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You might wanna get a second opinion. I thought all the Reba's could be changed with spacers up to 120...but saw another thread where someome mentioned the newest versions are the same as the Sid..only go to 120mm if it's set that way from the factory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For 2013, they did away with dual air and the ability to adjust travel. There are no more spacers. You need to replace the air spring assembly to change travel.

EDIT: Also, you're kind of stuck between model year change over for Rockshox. SRAM made significant changes to the 2013 forks and they haven't made their way into the sales channel quite yet. The Manitou Tower Pro is another good alternative, but they seem to be sold out in the configuration you're looking for. You can try looking in to the X-Fusion Slide RL2. I'd suggest calling X-Fusion direct and see if they have any 120mm tapered 15mm's in stock.

Edit Part 2: Pricepoint has the Tower Pro/Tapered/15 for $500. I'd jump on that before they're gone.
    Last edited by car_nut; 02-13-2013 at 05:00 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    For 2013, they did away with dual air and the ability to adjust travel. There are no more spacers. You need to replace the air spring assembly to change travel.
    This is what I was told.

I thought dual air was a serious pain in the ass. But the adjustability with the spacers was awesome.

For what it's worth - the White brothers loop comes in 80/100/120 and 130/140 versions. It takes a few more minutes to change compared to the RS forks but it's still really easy. I've been really really happy with mine.

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I'm following this thread because i'm also wondering if I can adjust the travel of my Reba RLT 29er from 100 to 120mm.
    I bought my bike in january 2012.
    How can I determine what year my Reba is?
    Is it really that simple to remove the spacers?
    I do all the work on the bike myself only the fork scares me a bit.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aandegrens View Post
    No way you have a 2013 fork.

Sram has videos on you tube showing how to work on the fork. You'll see the spacers when you're in there. They just click on the air sleeve shaft. Very easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aandegrens View Post
    I'm following this thread because i'm also wondering if I can adjust the travel of my Reba RLT 29er from 100 to 120mm.
    How can I determine what year my Reba is?
    Is it really that simple to remove the spacers?
    I do all the work on the bike myself only the fork scares me a bit.
    You probably have a 2012 Fork. The one thing I do know is that on 2012 Forks you cannot change the travel with spacers. If you have a 2011 there are some threads that say you can.

Apparently I had bad info....so disregard my post. Sorry
    Last edited by Venturewest; 02-13-2013 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    The newer Reba's are adjustable between 80/100/120 with spacers...and they might even be able to do 10mm increments, I forget the exact specs. I'm guessing 100mm is the most popular so it's more common to find them set at 100. The SIDs are the ones you need to be careful with. They have a version that can be run at 100mm or less only...and a different one that comes set at 120 which can be reduced. You can't increase the travel on the 100mm version with just spacers.
    What years are you talking about specifically? I know that 2012's do not adjust with spacers. Did they go back to this in 2012?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

EDIT: Also, you're kind of stuck between model year change over for Rockshox. SRAM made significant changes to the 2013 forks and they haven't made their way into the sales channel quite yet. The Manitou Tower Pro is another good alternative, but they seem to be sold out in the configuration you're looking for. You can try looking in to the X-Fusion Slide RL2. I'd suggest calling X-Fusion direct and see if they have any 120mm tapered 15mm's in stock.

Edit Part 2: Pricepoint has the Tower Pro/Tapered/15 for $500. I'd jump on that before they're gone.
    I downloaded the 2013 Rock Shox Spare parts catalog. It appears that it is true that there are separate part numbers for each air spring assembly of each travel.

There are some 2013 solo spring rebas on ebay now. I haven't seen any in 120mm though.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    I know that 2012's do not adjust with spacers.
    Yes they do.

2012 rebas are the only year that they had the SID lowers with dual air and travel spacers.

AZ
    banned
    My 2012 Reba RL 100mm Dual Air came with travel spacers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am seriously confused now. I have read many threads that say the opposite. Are you saying the 2009-2011 Reba's didn't have adjustable travel? Are you talking about the 29 Rebas?

So just to clarify, you can definitely remove the spacers from a 100mm Reba and increase travel to 120mm? Since I have heard conflicting information on this do you have a source? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yes they do.

2012 rebas are the only year that they had the SID lowers with dual air and travel spacers.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    I am seriously confused now. I have read many threads that say the opposite. Are you saying the 2009-2011 Reba's didn't have adjustable travel? Are you talking about the 29 Rebas?
    They all have spacers through 2012 and are adjustable. 26 and 29

2013s not adjustable.

2012 rebas are like a hybrid of the 09-11 reba and the '12 SID (sid lowers, reba uppers, reba air spring with adjustable travel). They are a pretty nice fork if dual air doesn't annoy the **** out of you like it did to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    They all have spacers through 2012 and are adjustable. 26 and 29

2013s not adjustable.

2012 rebas are like a hybrid of the 09-11 reba and the '12 SID (sid lowers, reba uppers, reba air spring with adjustable travel). They are a pretty nice fork if dual air doesn't annoy the **** out of you like it did to me.
    That is sweet info! You can actually get a 2012 with 15mm axle. I could only find 2011 with 20mm or qr.

ready to ride
    Should be noted that the 2012s do not adjust 120mm. They are 80/100 only. Which is done for the op.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FYI, The 2012 RL can not go to 120mm... I tried... and the uppers are different length than the RLT model... even the lowers were different... I tried mixing parts with two forks to give me a tapered head tube ( RL model ) with my RLT 9mm lowers... no go...

You at least want the RLT model... My 2011 RLT went to 120mm no problems...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Should be noted that the 2012s do not adjust 120mm. They are 80/100 only. Which is done for the op.
    Now that is what I was afraid of. That is what I have heard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting, I bought my 120mm SID Solo Air assuming it could be spaced down to 100mm. Oh well, hope I like it at 120!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Seriously. Look into these.

Manitou Tower Pro 29er QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Interesting, I bought my 120mm SID Solo Air assuming it could be spaced down to 100mm. Oh well, hope I like it at 120!
    Where did you find your 120mm solo air? I am in the market!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I got it off ebay from "ninjashipper". Appears to be sold out though:
    RockShox Sid RCT3 Solo Air Fork 120mm 29" Black 00 4018 238 004 New | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have only a 2012 RS Reba RLT 29er QR15 fork but that version is adjustable internally between 80 and 100 mm with travel spacer. This version is definitely NOT convertible to 120mm. You can take a look to the right side stanchion where you can also check whether the CSU is capable to 120 or it can be used only with 80 or 100mm setting. (Regarding the travel adjustment: I bought the 2012 version as an aftermarket fork and a spacer (and also a service kit) was included to it.) I need to mention, I have seen a 2012 RS Reba RLT Ti in a stock Niner R.I.P. with 120mm travel - probably Niner ordered a special version from RS. This means, you may have the possibility to found an OEM 2012 dual-air version which is capable to 120mm of travel.

Regarding the 2013 RS Reba RL/RLTs: I can confirm the information that was mentioned earlier. According to the 2013 Reba Service Manual, travel is adjustable only by changing air spring assembly. You can find the documentation here:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Bh...ice_manual.pdf

"To change the travel in your suspension fork, replace the entire solo air spring assembly according to the directions below. For part number information, please refer to the Spare Parts Catalog available on our website at sram.com/service. For ordering information, please contact your local SRAM distributor or dealer."
    (page 10)
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    White Brothers Loop (80-120mm adjustable) sweet fork!
    (a bit spender than the reba, tho)

mtbr member
    My fork (I think) is a 2012 Reba RL 29" (solo air) and it shows the the 120mm sag indication on the side of the fork... does this mean it is capable of being extended to 120mm?

I emailed Bikes Direct (I have a Moto Fly Ti 29er) to see if they can provide any input, but I have my reservations... If I can increase the travel, I'd be all for it, but I'd rather not pull the fork apart just to see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast