Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST

Finally rid of the stock wheelset, after waiting patiently for the new Crossmax ST's. The Stumpy is now a completely different bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-img-20120804-00089.jpg  

2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-longmont-20120804-00091.jpg  

2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-longmont-20120804-00090.jpg  

Last edited by wakenride; 08-04-2012 at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    mine have been drama free..enjoy

mtbr member
    Congrats!!! Can't wait til I can get a wheelset upgrade for my X-cal.
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    mine have been drama free..enjoy
    thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hangdogdaddy38 View Post
    Congrats!!! Can't wait til I can get a wheelset upgrade for my X-cal.
    Thanks, I think wheels are the most important thing on your bike, love these so far good luck with your purchase

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Any problems with the spokes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have bent my first spoke and cracked a nipple. My lbs had them in stock and was up and running in no time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did your setup require any of the optional adapters for axle size or width? If so were they easy to get and install? Also how does the free hub engagement compare to your old setup? Thanks for posting up!

mtbr member
    Nice wheelset, Wakenride. Just picked up my new Stumpy 29er yesterday from the bike shop. Had been riding Crossmax wheels on my 26" and want to pull the trigger on the upgrade as soon as funds allow. Keep us posted on your thoughts about these. Also, I have a bike rack like yours and was not able to get the arm to engage to secure my bike. It's like the 29" is too big for the arm. Are you having any issues with this and if so, how did you work around it. My rack is older so Thule may be making these arms longer now. Let me know...Thanks! Enjoy your rides!
    "My world is a flood....slowly I become, One with the Mud!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    Did your setup require any of the optional adapters for axle size or width? If so were they easy to get and install? Also how does the free hub engagement compare to your old setup? Thanks for posting up!
    Very easy, MAVIC supplied all options. Since the bike was setup 142+, the only adjustment was on the rear D, The rotor lined up perfectly. Engagement is classic MAVIC smooth and instantaneous, sounds better too.
    Last edited by wakenride; 08-05-2012 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithMud View Post
    Nice wheelset, Wakenride. Just picked up my new Stumpy 29er yesterday from the bike shop. Had been riding Crossmax wheels on my 26" and want to pull the trigger on the upgrade as soon as funds allow. Keep us posted on your thoughts about these. Also, I have a bike rack like yours and was not able to get the arm to engage to secure my bike. It's like the 29" is too big for the arm. Are you having any issues with this and if so, how did you work around it. My rack is older so Thule may be making these arms longer now. Let me know...Thanks! Enjoy your rides!
    Thanks man. This is the only rack I could find to fit this xxl beast without having to take off the front wheel. The clearance is close but just long enough and as you can see and the tray barely long enough too, the rear wheel strap is about an inch from the end.

My stock wheelset started failing me after about 400 miles good luck with yours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I have bent my first spoke and cracked a nipple. My lbs had them in stock and was up and running in no time.
    I'm about to buy a 2012 Mavic ST wheelset but I wanted to know your opinions about this. I do not like the fact that the rear wheel has only 20 spokes. Usually it is the rear wheel the one who suffers the most. I do not understand why Mavic has put only 20 spokes instead of 24 as in the front wheel. Do you thing that the rear wheel will be strong enough for an intensive all mountain/ enduro use? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flml99 View Post
    I do not like the fact that the rear wheel has only 20 spokes. Usually it is the rear wheel the one who suffers the most. I do not understand why Mavic has put only 20 spokes instead of 24 as in the front wheel. Do you thing that the rear wheel will be strong enough for an intensive all mountain/ enduro use? thanks
    i'm curious to know about this too ... what's your weight? riding style -- pure XC or closer to aggressive trail riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    i'm curious to know about this too ... what's your weight? riding style -- pure XC or closer to aggressive trail riding?
    My weight is around 154 pounds (70 kg) and I like aggresive trail riding and enduro. According to my experience, I never break a front spoke. Usually I break rear spokes, that's why I cannot understand that the new ST wheelset has 24 front spokes and only 20 on the rear ..... that simply does not make any sense...... I would have done exactly the opposite....20 in the front and 24 in the rear......

I know that probably, the perfect wheelset for enduro use is the SX wheelset but it is much heavier, and weight is an important factor for me, specially in the wheels...

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by flml99 View Post
    My weight is around 154 pounds (70 kg) and I like aggresive trail riding and enduro. According to my experience, I never break a front spoke. Usually I break rear spokes, that's why I cannot understand that the new ST wheelset has 24 front spokes and only 20 on the rear ..... that simply does not make any sense...... I would have done exactly the opposite....20 in the front and 24 in the rear......

I know that probably, the perfect wheelset for enduro use is the SX wheelset but it is much heavier, and weight is an important factor for me, specially in the wheels...

Mavic tested prototypes with 20 and 24 spokes in the rear.
    The 20 spokes hold well enought and were more confortable.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    I just got a set of the 2013 SLR's. Hopefully they don't explode. I was wanting the ST's, but I got a killer deal on the slr's so we'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    I just got a set of the 2013 SLR's. Hopefully they don't explode. I was wanting the ST's, but I got a killer deal on the slr's so we'll see what happens.
    sweet, the SLRs are freaking beautiful, at 220 I need the ST's

mtbr member
    Ah I gotcha... I'm sitting at 160 so maybe they'll last?

mtbr member
    Ah I gotcha... I'm sitting at 160 so maybe they'll last?
    you are good my friend good choice

mtbr member
    Good to hear, check out my chupa build thread... They're going on that guy. Nice ride btw!

mtbr member
    Good to hear, check out my chupa build thread... They're going on that guy. Nice ride btw!
    thanks, not many if any choices, ive been waiting for a xxl size for 3 years. hard to believe I used to rid 20" 26ers.....too old for those these days

ill check out your biuld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    in past years the crossmax had a reputation for making spoke popping noises near the hub. I think its the coating on the spoke wearing out. Mavic in the past said it was normal but owners have found it really annoying.

Did they fix design flaw of the past?

mtbr member
    just put my first ride in on the ST'S and ..... 3 flat tires in 18 miles. i haven't had 3 flats in 5 years! running with tubes, weigh 160, 24 psi front 26 rear, xc trails. took the blown tubes back to the shop to inspect. noticed the holes on both were in about the same spot right where the rim is welded together. holes look "rounded" when inflated.not positive that's where the problem occured but am going put rim tape over the joints and give it another go. may end up going tubeless but since mavic says you can run these tubed or tubeless seems strange. anyone else have this type of issue with the ST's ?
    Last edited by whackum; 08-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow that blows... I say go tubeless man. Lighter and no flats!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whackum View Post
    just put my first ride in on the ST'S and ..... 3 flat tires in 18 miles. i haven't had 3 flats in 5 years! running with tubes, weigh 160, 24 psi front 26 rear, xc trails. took the blown tubes back to the shop to inspect. noticed the holes on both were in about the same spot right where the rim is welded together. holes look "rounded" when inflated.not positive that's where the problem occured but am going put rim tape over the joints and give it another go. may end up going tubeless but since mavic says you can run these tubed or tubeless seems strange. anyone else have this type of issue with the ST's ?
    running tubeless on mine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast