Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44

    2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST

    Finally rid of the stock wheelset, after waiting patiently for the new Crossmax ST's. The Stumpy is now a completely different bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-img-20120804-00089.jpg  

    2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-longmont-20120804-00091.jpg  

    2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-longmont-20120804-00090.jpg  

    Last edited by wakenride; 08-04-2012 at 04:14 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,448
    mine have been drama free..enjoy

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hangdogdaddy38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    130
    Congrats!!! Can't wait til I can get a wheelset upgrade for my X-cal.
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    mine have been drama free..enjoy
    thank you

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by hangdogdaddy38 View Post
    Congrats!!! Can't wait til I can get a wheelset upgrade for my X-cal.
    Thanks, I think wheels are the most important thing on your bike, love these so far good luck with your purchase

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15
    Any problems with the spokes?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,448
    I have bent my first spoke and cracked a nipple. My lbs had them in stock and was up and running in no time.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    97
    Did your setup require any of the optional adapters for axle size or width? If so were they easy to get and install? Also how does the free hub engagement compare to your old setup? Thanks for posting up!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneWithMud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    25
    Nice wheelset, Wakenride. Just picked up my new Stumpy 29er yesterday from the bike shop. Had been riding Crossmax wheels on my 26" and want to pull the trigger on the upgrade as soon as funds allow. Keep us posted on your thoughts about these. Also, I have a bike rack like yours and was not able to get the arm to engage to secure my bike. It's like the 29" is too big for the arm. Are you having any issues with this and if so, how did you work around it. My rack is older so Thule may be making these arms longer now. Let me know...Thanks! Enjoy your rides!
    "My world is a flood....slowly I become, One with the Mud!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    Did your setup require any of the optional adapters for axle size or width? If so were they easy to get and install? Also how does the free hub engagement compare to your old setup? Thanks for posting up!
    Very easy, MAVIC supplied all options. Since the bike was setup 142+, the only adjustment was on the rear D, The rotor lined up perfectly. Engagement is classic MAVIC smooth and instantaneous, sounds better too.
    Last edited by wakenride; 08-05-2012 at 06:14 AM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithMud View Post
    Nice wheelset, Wakenride. Just picked up my new Stumpy 29er yesterday from the bike shop. Had been riding Crossmax wheels on my 26" and want to pull the trigger on the upgrade as soon as funds allow. Keep us posted on your thoughts about these. Also, I have a bike rack like yours and was not able to get the arm to engage to secure my bike. It's like the 29" is too big for the arm. Are you having any issues with this and if so, how did you work around it. My rack is older so Thule may be making these arms longer now. Let me know...Thanks! Enjoy your rides!
    Thanks man. This is the only rack I could find to fit this xxl beast without having to take off the front wheel. The clearance is close but just long enough and as you can see and the tray barely long enough too, the rear wheel strap is about an inch from the end.

    My stock wheelset started failing me after about 400 miles good luck with yours.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I have bent my first spoke and cracked a nipple. My lbs had them in stock and was up and running in no time.
    I'm about to buy a 2012 Mavic ST wheelset but I wanted to know your opinions about this. I do not like the fact that the rear wheel has only 20 spokes. Usually it is the rear wheel the one who suffers the most. I do not understand why Mavic has put only 20 spokes instead of 24 as in the front wheel. Do you thing that the rear wheel will be strong enough for an intensive all mountain/ enduro use? thanks

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by flml99 View Post
    I do not like the fact that the rear wheel has only 20 spokes. Usually it is the rear wheel the one who suffers the most. I do not understand why Mavic has put only 20 spokes instead of 24 as in the front wheel. Do you thing that the rear wheel will be strong enough for an intensive all mountain/ enduro use? thanks
    i'm curious to know about this too ... what's your weight? riding style -- pure XC or closer to aggressive trail riding?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    i'm curious to know about this too ... what's your weight? riding style -- pure XC or closer to aggressive trail riding?
    My weight is around 154 pounds (70 kg) and I like aggresive trail riding and enduro. According to my experience, I never break a front spoke. Usually I break rear spokes, that's why I cannot understand that the new ST wheelset has 24 front spokes and only 20 on the rear ..... that simply does not make any sense...... I would have done exactly the opposite....20 in the front and 24 in the rear......

    I know that probably, the perfect wheelset for enduro use is the SX wheelset but it is much heavier, and weight is an important factor for me, specially in the wheels...

  15. #15
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by flml99 View Post
    My weight is around 154 pounds (70 kg) and I like aggresive trail riding and enduro. According to my experience, I never break a front spoke. Usually I break rear spokes, that's why I cannot understand that the new ST wheelset has 24 front spokes and only 20 on the rear ..... that simply does not make any sense...... I would have done exactly the opposite....20 in the front and 24 in the rear......

    I know that probably, the perfect wheelset for enduro use is the SX wheelset but it is much heavier, and weight is an important factor for me, specially in the wheels...

    Mavic tested prototypes with 20 and 24 spokes in the rear.
    The 20 spokes hold well enought and were more confortable.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATX_fix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    I just got a set of the 2013 SLR's. Hopefully they don't explode. I was wanting the ST's, but I got a killer deal on the slr's so we'll see what happens.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    I just got a set of the 2013 SLR's. Hopefully they don't explode. I was wanting the ST's, but I got a killer deal on the slr's so we'll see what happens.
    sweet, the SLRs are freaking beautiful, at 220 I need the ST's

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATX_fix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Ah I gotcha... I'm sitting at 160 so maybe they'll last?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    Ah I gotcha... I'm sitting at 160 so maybe they'll last?
    you are good my friend good choice

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATX_fix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Good to hear, check out my chupa build thread... They're going on that guy. Nice ride btw!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    Good to hear, check out my chupa build thread... They're going on that guy. Nice ride btw!
    thanks, not many if any choices, ive been waiting for a xxl size for 3 years. hard to believe I used to rid 20" 26ers.....too old for those these days


    ill check out your biuld

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    69
    in past years the crossmax had a reputation for making spoke popping noises near the hub. I think its the coating on the spoke wearing out. Mavic in the past said it was normal but owners have found it really annoying.

    Did they fix design flaw of the past?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: whackum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    119
    just put my first ride in on the ST'S and ..... 3 flat tires in 18 miles. i haven't had 3 flats in 5 years! running with tubes, weigh 160, 24 psi front 26 rear, xc trails. took the blown tubes back to the shop to inspect. noticed the holes on both were in about the same spot right where the rim is welded together. holes look "rounded" when inflated.not positive that's where the problem occured but am going put rim tape over the joints and give it another go. may end up going tubeless but since mavic says you can run these tubed or tubeless seems strange. anyone else have this type of issue with the ST's ?
    Last edited by whackum; 08-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATX_fix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Wow that blows... I say go tubeless man. Lighter and no flats!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wakenride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by whackum View Post
    just put my first ride in on the ST'S and ..... 3 flat tires in 18 miles. i haven't had 3 flats in 5 years! running with tubes, weigh 160, 24 psi front 26 rear, xc trails. took the blown tubes back to the shop to inspect. noticed the holes on both were in about the same spot right where the rim is welded together. holes look "rounded" when inflated.not positive that's where the problem occured but am going put rim tape over the joints and give it another go. may end up going tubeless but since mavic says you can run these tubed or tubeless seems strange. anyone else have this type of issue with the ST's ?
    running tubeless on mine

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CSCHMITT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    83
    just got my set two weeks on my chamber comp 29 and no problems.absolutely love them.i was popping nipples on the stock set almost every week.im 250lbs and ride aggressive.havent jumped to much no reason just havent rode the right trail yet.running tubless with no issues.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: whackum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    119
    found out my tube supplier got a bad batch of tubes. went ahead and set the st's up tubeless anyway and all is working great. nice upgrade from my stock wheels.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    416
    I bent a front spoke and pulled a nipple out of the threads of the rim on a set of these (left the spoke and nipple in because the rim threading was stripped, meaning I needed a new rim) - was simply descending a small rock garden section with fist size rocks that I have ridden hundreds of times before on other wheels - also bent the wall of the rear rim on another ride on a small rock which I was able to bend back easily.

    This was on a XC Race bike - riding XC trails, nothing extreme.

    Am riding Crests now with DT spokes with 0 issues on the same sections, but the Mavic's did look better on the bike.

    Have never bent a wheel, bent / broken a spoke in my entire life - even riding very light race wheels.

    Just my two cents, hope the work better for you - I might of got a bad set.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,094
    Just ordered myself of Crossmax ST 29's and can't wait for them to arrive so that I can go back to tubeless!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    52
    Just got mine and I am stoked! Way lighter than my Easton EA 70XC's and so stiff. Just makes the bike a new machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 MAVIC Crossmax ST-photo-22.jpg  


  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithMud View Post
    Nice wheelset, Wakenride. Just picked up my new Stumpy 29er yesterday from the bike shop. Had been riding Crossmax wheels on my 26" and want to pull the trigger on the upgrade as soon as funds allow. Keep us posted on your thoughts about these. Also, I have a bike rack like yours and was not able to get the arm to engage to secure my bike. It's like the 29" is too big for the arm. Are you having any issues with this and if so, how did you work around it. My rack is older so Thule may be making these arms longer now. Let me know...Thanks! Enjoy your rides!
    OP: wheels look great, I'm looking and will add these to the list of ones I'm considering.

    OneWithMud: Talk to a Thule dealer. You can buy a ratchet arm that is longer and swap it out with your old one. Had to do this when I bought my 29er but it was cheaper than a new rack...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,094
    Mine are in, just got to go pick them up now in between getting ready for the new baby (a real baby, not a bike!) to arrive, fixing up the house and work! Can't wait!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,094
    Picked mine up yesterday and they are fantastic, they're stiff, tough, the engagement is very quick and the best thing is they've knocked 2.2lbs off the build of my bike so they spin up a lot more quickly! I'm very happy with them and am looking forward to riding them properly on Saturday...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,094
    Great ride on saturday the biggest thing that struck me about the wheels was the added stiffness and ability to kick up roost everywhere down to it!

    I've just taken out the Mavic MP3 cover on them too so that's me covered for at least the next 2 years.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    45

    2013 Crossmax ST on Stumpy

    hi there: new to this site, great information everyone! I was wondering if your Stumpy has 20 mm thru axle front and 12 mm thru axle rear? I am looking at the Crossmax ST or the SLR and there is nothing confirming that the axle will work or if there are adapters that I can purchase.

    Can you confirm that the 2013 Crossmax ST fit on your thru axle on your Stumpy? Thanks!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    291
    Are those stickers or is the rim paint/finish?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,094
    Stickers.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    265
    what is the biggest difference betweeen the 2011 and 2012? i read a review and it looked like it was a little bit of weight and i think the 2011 had 24 spokes on the rear instead of 20. i'm on a tight budget so if there isn't much difference between the 2011 and the 2012 i might go 2011 to help shave a few bucks off the bottom line.

    however i don't want to be a pennywise and pound foolish.

    E

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    200
    just ordered some 2013 ST's, ETA mid december. They may add a few grams over my existing wheelset (Hopes with crests) but I need something a little more durable and still light and hopefully stiffer. If anything needs to lose weight its me!

  40. #40
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    spammer fail

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •