mtbr member

2013 Lefty Super Max

130mm 29er Lefty out of the box.

I don't see it on the Cannondale site yet, but they're showing it on the new Trigger. Wonder when it'll be available to order aftermarket?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

ballbuster

I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    130mm 29er Lefty out of the box.

I don't see it on the Cannondale site yet, but they're showing it on the new Trigger. Wonder when it'll be available to order aftermarket?
    I can't wait to get a 2013 Lefty Supermax for my 29er

.... in 2017 when I can afford them when they come up used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Stoked to see this as well, I'm dreaming of this on a carbon RIP 9 (if one comes out anytime soon)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Trail Ninja
    Bikerumor has details on it.

Summed up:

130mm travel (other '13 29er Lefty is 90mm-100m)
    32mm stanchions -> 36 mm (40mm outer tube -> 42mm)
    ~1850g ('13 Fox 34 is ~2040g, '13 100mm Lefty is ~1335g)
    "Matches up in strength testing with dual crown DH forks"

Stiffness is also increased, obviously. Not sure if I am comprehending it right, but it seems they raked it out, rather than offset it, which allows the use of stems shorter than 80mm. They also extended it outwards, more to the left, to make up for frame clearance lost by raking it out. I think they may have widened the front hub too, as it would need to be centered under the frame and yet reach the brake caliper.

All welcome changes, IMO. Wider front hub makes for a stiffer front wheel and the front is where most of the forces and impacts come front. Would definitely help steering precision with wider set bearings and better bracing angle/triangulation for the spokes.

Only wish Leftys weren't only made for 4.5" headtubes and cost an arm and a leg.

mtbr member
    They don't cost much more (if any) than high end regular forks. And there's adapters to let them fit pretty much any headtube.

Start saving your pennies!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    anybody know if the travel can be extended for us with 26 or 650b wheels? one of these guys on a 150mm travel 650b bike would be sweet.

Cassoulet forever !
    the bearings are in the same place, but the flanges are wider apart
    new postmount also
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Trail Ninja
    Gotta find a pic of the hub, axle (without the hub on it, obv), and brake caliper!

mtbr member
    Singletrack Magazine | Eurobike: Cannondale's 29in Lefty SuperMax

A few more tid bits about the hub. Got a good laugh at the crest rims they have on the trigger.

Looking to get a SB95, would love to have one of these to go with it.

mtbr member
    Pic of front axle

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    the bearings are in the same place, but the flanges are wider apart
    new postmount also
    Does this mean that regular lefty hubs will not work with the supermax? Not sure what size bearings have been used in the past on c-dale frames, but I see that they mention the supermax has changed to a 1.5" steerer. Does this mean that the clamp diameter has changed?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Does this mean that regular lefty hubs will not work with the supermax? Not sure what size bearings have been used in the past on c-dale frames, but I see that they mention the supermax has changed to a 1.5" steerer. Does this mean that the clamp diameter has changed?
    I'd like to know more detail on the hub too.

Cannondale likes proprietary stuff, all in the name of innovation and performance and a wider hub, when the Lefty hub is already proprietary, doesn't seem like like a bad thing to redesign. A hub wider than 100mm would actually be welcome. The singletrack link above hints that it's wider (Singletrack Magazine | Eurobike: Cannondale's 29in Lefty SuperMax), but with only pics and a few words to go on, I can only speculate.

The only way I can think of it is that there's a new hub that takes advantage of the extra room on the Lefty, but the axle is made compatible with older Lefty hubs through the use of a different brake mount adapter that brings the brake in a bit closer to the older and narrower Lefty hub.

Lefty Max on a SB95 wouldn't sound bad, but I actually went for the SB95 since it had a short head tube (3.7") and would allow my bars to be low where I like them, and having to put a stem on top of a double clamp spaced specifically for a 4.5" headtube would totally F that up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    The only way I can think of it is that there's a new hub that takes advantage of the extra room on the Lefty, but the axle is made compatible with older Lefty hubs through the use of a different brake mount adapter that brings the brake in a bit closer to the older and narrower Lefty hub.

Lefty Max on a SB95 wouldn't sound bad, but I actually went for the SB95 since it had a short head tube (3.7") and would allow my bars to be low where I like them, and having to put a stem on top of a double clamp spaced specifically for a 4.5" headtube would totally F that up.
    My thoughts exactly on the hub. If the bearings are in the same place, that would suggest that you could still use a standard hub with a different caliper mount. Don't really want to buy a new hub and steerer adapter. I'm a tall guy, so I've always got spacers under my stem anyway, but I hear ya. Your in luck if there is any truth in the notion of them making different clamp spacing for the med/small frames.