mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2013 AM Classic MTB 29 vs Easton EA90XC

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new wheelset to change the stock option on a new bike. I was looking at either the easton EA90XC or the AM Classic MTB 29 Both wheels weights pretty much the same so that doesn't set any wheel set apart. I think the Easton do cost a little more though.

I'm will mainly use these for light trail riding and XC/marathon. Which wheels in your opinion will be more durable and the stiffest out of these two ?

I will also welcome any other suggestion, as long as the weight is not too much over 1600g since I'm trying to reduce weight on the bike (I'm also a very light rider so I will notice more than other at 150lb).

Thanks all for your comments!

Big Boy
    I have the am classic all mountain wheels and love them. (I'm 275 #). They are wide and pretty light for an all mountain wheelset. If you are going to be using for light trail riding and racing, why not look at the american classic race wheels? They will be way lighter, and from the reviews I have read they can be used as an everyday wheelset if they aren't abused.

American Classic Race Tubeless 29"er Wheels: On Test

This is a link to a review that I found.

But, out of the two that you mentioned I would go with the AM classic hands down. They are 100 grams lighter, two mm wider inside, and cheaper.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I did consider the Race model although it seems to be pretty durable and stiff for such a lightweight wheel set, I did have AM classic wheel in the past and I had a lot of problem with play in the rear hub, so I'm a little hesitant in buying american classic stuff.

Are the AM classic hub more durable and requires less maintenance than the 2005 model I own ?

Also, I've read conflicting report on the ZTR rims (mainly the Crest), while some say they can built pretty stiff wheels, others have reported that no matter how light the rider and smooth he is, they just feel pretty soft compared to other wheelset build with the same hubs but different rims. Opinions on this ?

Thanks again for all your comments !