mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2012 Trek Marlin Upgrades

Looking at making some upgrades on my Marlin. I've upgraded the pedals and grips so far and now would like to upgrade the brakes and maybe front fork. My rides consist of crushed paved trails that are pretty flat. Guess more rail type rides and soon I plan to conquer some single track trails.

Any recommendations would be great.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Suntour XCM fork is fine for your current rides. Nick at Suntour has setup a program to upgrade your 5.8lb fork to an air Raidon 5lb. fork for 175+ship. A 3.lb. RockShox Recon Gold solo air is 240 from Random Bike Parts. Weight off the front is the best. A manitou Tower Pro off ebay is even better.
    Shimano SLX brakes from BlueSky cycling at 79 x 2 is the best value.

29ers Forever
    I would also say Shimano SLX brakes, and a RockShox Recon Gold. If you really want to get adventurous in upgrades, buy a 10 speed derailleur, cassette, shifters (go Shimano for all of it.)
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    I've been searching all over for information about upgrading the shock on the 2012 Marlin. That suntour upgrade program only has 46mm offset forks. To maintain the G2 you need a 51. I'm looking to hear stories of people who went to the 46 and see how much it affected them

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just to help with your ideas. On my 13 marlin this is what I have done so far:
    -pedals
    -grip
    -avid bb7 (180mm front and rear)
    -firmer spring
    -70mm stem (just installed tonight)
    -wheels
    -tires
    -shorten the handle bars

what I am looking at:
    -fox fork
    -10 speed drive train

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When looking at a fork. The G2 isn't really important. I have talked to a few different shops and also Nick from suntour. I am looking to do a 120mm fork upgrade and given the offset and increasing the travel will keep the Geometry close. if you search around, a lot of guys don't notice much of a difference. If anything they like it more! It will be a little while before I get my Fork to have a real say.

mtbr member
    Yea I dont know that I would say it "isn't really important" so much as its personal preference. Increasing your travel will help compensate for the lower offset however it will void your Trek Warranty. Most people will tell you going to a 120mm from 100 "should" be fine. Going above 120 is probably a really bad idea. Any increase in travel voids the Trek Frame warranty though

mtbr member

Re: 2012 Trek Marlin Upgrades

My 2012 only thing stock is seat post.

Tonight I changed my 90mm stem (changed down to 90mm stem early on) and up to 660mm bars.

List to date:
    Should have done raidon deal but was turned away from it for lack of g2 but then found it doesn't make a big change to handling, not enough I would notice. Atm I have rs xc32tks that lbs got me cheap cause I hated my stock forks. I like the rs forks for now though.

Bb7 brakes on 180rotors and speed 7 levers.
    Bars, stem, grips
    Alex dp20 wheels/slx hubs kenda karma tires
    Deore 590 crankset convert to 2x/bbg bash
    Slx 2x10 from shifts to both derailluers
    Platform pedals

I have found good to find ppl with spares to find out how you like the cockpit feel I wasted money on 2 other stems and bars to finally find the fit I like for that and gave me the handling I wanted to go with it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Love following the Tigris upgrades. My Manitou Tower Expert is literally on a fedex truck on its way at the moment. I'm finding it difficult to work, just keep looking outside for the truck.

So Far I've done the usual pedals, grips, tires. My cables got rusty so I upgraded to some shimano's and changed the color to black. Carbon Fiber offset seatpost, WTB Pure V Saddle and now the fork.

Next year I'll probably look at wheels. Maybe brakes but at the moment I'm hanging in there with the Tektro's.

Way down the line will be the drive train

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the update Tigris.

mtbr member
    Ok So i got out for a quick 4 mile ride on one of the trails I'm most familiar with. The fork soaked up roots and ruts with ease. Its going to take me a while to get it dialed in exactly, first time i've ever had a "real" fork. Definitely lighter and easier to keep a straight line going through the bumps.

As far as the offset difference it didn't even occur to me to think about it until half way through the ride. At that point I went through a section of twisties (exactly what it sounds like) and I actually felt the handling was slightly improved.

Bottom line going 3mm difference was hardly noticeable and I think it improved. I could see going the full 5mm difference and not having an issue. You would definitely notice it but I can't imagine it being an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Maybe brakes but at the moment I'm hanging in there with the Tektro's.
    n
    For brakes the front is the most important once you have a quality component.
    $70 for a bolt on SLX from Bluesky and your front brake control will be greatly improved--more power of course, but you will use the better modulation and lessen any use of the rear.

mtbr member
    2012 Trek Marlin Upgrades-imag194275%25.jpg