mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2012 Diamondback overdrive sport upgrade

I got this bike almost two years ago and promptly put about 3k miles on it. The rear derailer has hit several rocks and now both the cage and hanger are extremely bent up. My chain is also at the end of its life it just spent this summer getting parked outside due to some issues with the apartment I was in (4th floor, no elevator, tiny stairs, huge 22" 29er). Now the bottom bracket makes some funny noises and the freehub probably needs to be overhauled. I've managed to keep most of the rust at bay and now that I'm moving out, I'm considering replacing the stock acera components with either deore or slx 10 speed but I don't know where to start.

Is there any way to keep my stock SRAM 8/9 S600 crank and forward derailer while moving up to a ten speed cassette and derailer in the rear? A new crank would be $200 alone but the SRAM apparently has replaceable chain rings so I'm slightly optimistic. Alternatively I could just go with deore 9 speed but it seems like the entire line is now only 10.

Also, I understand and have had good results with the shimano system but is there anywhere else I should be looking for mid level performance oriented components? I'm not weight crazy but I want parts that will work well and last if taken care of. I will be spending many hours cross training on this thing through the next year.

Thanks!

PS: Full component list here: Diamondback Bicycles - 2012 Overdrive Sport - Hardtail

mtbr member
    I have the exact same model. I have changed the drivetrain to 2x9 (32/22 front 11-34 9-speed cassette). I have moved from the stock components to Deore derailleurs and shifters and now that those are worn as well, I have changed my front and rear derailleurs to SLX. I also have changed my cranks to RaceFace Ride (32/22 175mm), and I have noticed some difference with regards to weight (the stock BB is square taper and is quite heavy but bulletproof). You may want to shop around online (i.e. Jensons USA, Pricepoint, etc.) for deals (like this for example: Sram X.9 10 Speed Crankset For BB30 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop).

The very first component that I have upgraded is the fork (X-Fusion Slide 29). I have read from this forum that Suntour is running a discounted upgrade program. You may want to look for that information if you're interested in upgrading your fork as well.