mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2011 Trek Cobia 29er wheels.

Hey guys. I'm looking for a decent set of wheels that would set me back maybe 300-400 dollars. I saw a good deal on nashbar.com right now on some Easton xc70 wheels I believe. Question is, I'm not sure if it would fit my bike. Can my Cobia fit all wheels or can it only fit the same size wheels that it came with? Thanks!

DFMBA.org
    Depends...it's really about the hub sizing.

A 9mm QR 29" wheel will probaly fit the front if it's still got the stock front fork. The rear is probably a 10x135mm QR hub but don't quote me as it's just a hunch. I would consult a Trek dealer for the exact specs on these wheels/hubs, then you can begin your search in earnest. All that said, I'm not sure how much improvement (over the OEM wheels) you're going to make to your Cobia with a $300-$400 wheelset.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    They might fit, remember you need a 9mm Quick release hubs

You will most likely will need to change rotors from centerlock to 6 bolt
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    They might fit, remember you need a 9mm Quick release hubs

You will most likely will need to change rotors from centerlock to 6 bolt
    Is it sad that I have no idea how to do this? I really want to learn about the components etc and how to buy the right fitment for everything. Anyone know where I can buy some wheels that would fit then? This is all very confusing to me right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok. I meant the ea90xc and not the ea70xc. This one looks like it'll fit my rear fine since it's listing 10x135mm
    Easton EA90XC 10x135 29-in Rear Mountain Wheel - Closeout - Mountain Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

But the front says 15mm instead of 9mm.
    Easton EA90XC 15mm Thru Axle 29-in Front Mountain Wheel - Closeout - Mountain Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

Hi There!
    Why are you so intent on changing your wheels? Not trying to discourage you, just wondering the motivation. Like MTBeing said above, wheels at that price point may not be much of an improvement, if at all. How much do your stock wheels weigh? How much do the new ones weigh? What adapters will you need? These are some of the things that you need to think about.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok. I took my wheel to the LBS and they said that the wheel is done for. So I need a new wheel for sure then. Only for the front though. Yeah I'm unsure what I need for a front wheel to have a proper fit for my MTB. Question is, how do I know the wheel I'm about to buy is the correct wheel that would fit my bike?

Quote Originally Posted by tenchichrono View Post
    Ok. I took my wheel to the LBS and they said that the wheel is done for. So I need a new wheel for sure then. Only for the front though. Yeah I'm unsure what I need for a front wheel to have a proper fit for my MTB. Question is, how do I know the wheel I'm about to buy is the correct wheel that would fit my bike?
    Ignore the comment on centerlock... those Shimano hubs aren't centerlock. What that is: your "standard" hubs have 6 bolt disc mounts (6 bolts that hold your disc brake onto the wheel hub). Some of the new ones are going to "centerlock", which is basically one piece that holds the rotor on.

So, basically... any common 29er wheelset will be just fine for you... but newer ones are starting to go to 15 or 20mm "thru axle" fronts and 12x142 rear. You need the common QR (quick release) version... which is going to be the majority of used wheelsets or semi-new ones. Most new ones come with conversion kits though and instructions. Sorry if this is getting confusing again.

If you are just looking for front, you need 9mm (QR). Universal Cycles has lots to choose from if you just want an individual wheel, or a full wheelset... plus they have discount codes every month. Here would be a good front but many more than that.

Sign up for their newsletter and they send discount codes every month... here is this months:

Here are your current coupon codes!
    Good through October 15th!
    "additions10": Take 10% off orders over $100
    "additions15": Take 15% off orders over $300

Honestly though, with those codes if you want to get a whole wheelset, you aren't going to beat this: Universal Cycles -- SunRingle Black Flag Comp 29" Wheelset
    $357 for a whole wheelset with code. Nice video here... Sun Ringlé Black Flag Comp Wheelset Review from Performance Bicycle - YouTube

I'll leave it be now and get back to work

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    duggus my man! Thank you so much. That was a very informative post. Much gratitude for the information

Quote Originally Posted by tenchichrono View Post
    duggus my man! Thank you so much. That was a very informative post. Much gratitude for the information
    No problem. If you are still looking at bike nashbar I noticed this in my email today... 20% Off at Bike Nashbar

If you wanted to splurge a little bit... a proven Stans Crest wheelset with the 20% off would only be $428 (if you are under 190lbs) and you would loose a full 1 1/2 lbs off your bike weight. That's hard to beat for front & rear Stans. Otherwise the Stan's Arch EX wheelset is slightly heavier but not much... and even stronger, same price. You could always keep your rear wheel as a backup or re-sell. I like to have backups though so I can keep riding.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Stan's crest $404.90 with choice of hub color at Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Crest Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    Try code Awesome20 and it should come out to $323.92
    This would be my first choice.
    If that don't work try Stan's Crest $412.66 @ wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | MTB Wheels
    Try code EXTRA15 at check out they should come out to $350.76.
    You might have to wait with these guy's I hear they are not all ways in stock

Great set of wheel's for the money.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok guys! Thanks for the info. I think I was a little bit slow in biting the bullet though since all the coupon codes have no since expired. Anyway to find codes again? I'd like to get the Stan's crest wheelset as recommended. Are there specific tires I should look for once I buy my wheelset? I only do XC obviously.

mtbr member
    Good info. Duggus