mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2011 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air Fork 29er OE

Will this fork fit on my hardrock sport 29er. Its a 2011, and just wanted to be sure before purchasing. Excuse the ignorance, Im new to the sport. Also what does the OE stand for?

thanks in advance fellers

Also what do bike shops usually charge to install these things? (ball park figure)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think OE = Original Equipment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need the 1-1/8" steerer with QR bottom. Here's an install video.
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Are u talking about tools or extra components...LBS will be doing all the work

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by das028 View Post
    He is telling you what style of fork to get. For your bike you will need the Reba with a straight 1 -1/8" steerer tube with a 9mm quick release. Other models have a 15 or 20mm axel with a tapered tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm talking about information. It is an easy job. If you want someone else to do it, watch the video so you know what needs to be done and how to get good service. That is a very good fork.

Professional Crastinator
    I just got one of those forks. Couldn't pass up the deals at BlueSky.

It has a straight steerer and uses either a standard quick release or a 9mm thru-bolt axle front hub with a disc brake. I'm sure your HardRock has all of that. You can probably even use your old headset.

The fork is also adjustable from 80-120mm. It comes set at 100mm. You extend or reduce the travel by removing the installed bushing or adding the included bushing. This requires fork disassembly.

A fork swap is pretty easy stuff. Check out some vids.

The set-up on mine was a complete no-brainer. Air up to ~25% sag. Go ride. Fiddle with the damping - although mine ended up just about in the middle of the range anyway.

-F

PS - I think "O"ringinal "E"quipment means it was surplus from a bike factory, not reserved as aftermarket. I don't know what that means for features.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Learn to do it yourself. It's fun and you will save a lot of money. Park Tool, Sheldon Brown and of course YouTube are good sources for how to info.

mtbr member
    Will this fork fit on my hardrock sport 29er. Its a 2011, and just wanted to be sure before purchasing. Excuse the ignorance, Im new to the sport. Also what does the OE stand for?

thanks in advance fellers

Also what do bike shops usually charge to install these things? (ball park figure)
    My LBS installed mine for $17

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsonnc View Post
    If you go with the Reba, let us know how it works for you. Been kicking around upgrading to the same fork on my Trek Mamba 29er.
    I just installed a set of RockShox Reba RLT 29 dual air on my bike, and they take a few rides to get dialed in to your liking but until you find it, and especially after you find your settings you will really enjoy them. They are very light, great looking, and work flawlessly.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I put a Reba RL on my 2011 Hardrock Sport Disk 29er back in June (REI was having a sale) and it's been wonderful. MUCH nicer than the XCM Suntour it came with. The front wheel is on the ground a lot more now. The bike is easier to control. And, I'm a big guy and I set the pressure to my weight and I don't bottom out like I did with the XCM. I installed it myself (cutting it to length was the only tricky part for me), reused the original headset, left it at 100mm and it's been terrific. It also only took me one ride to get mine dialed in to my liking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I just got one of those forks. Couldn't pass up the deals at BlueSky.

PS - I think "O"ringinal "E"quipment means it was surplus from a bike factory, not reserved as aftermarket. I don't know what that means for features.
    Sorry to hijack, but I'm looking at the same thing at Blue Sky. Why is the list price $200 less for a 2012 than a 2011 and on sale for the same price?

mtbr member
    so anyone picked this up yet? I am also thinking about getting it for my mamba

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    so anyone picked this up yet? I am also thinking about getting it for my mamba
    Mine its on its way....Go look at www.blueskycycling.com...they got some crzy deals! The fork I bought was at 51% off. My LBS wanted me too send them a email with the link, to give them a chance to match the price. I didnt hear back from them in a few days so I felt a had to jump on this deal before they where gone

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    I put a Reba RL on my 2011 Hardrock Sport Disk 29er back in June (REI was having a sale) and it's been wonderful. MUCH nicer than the XCM Suntour it came with. The front wheel is on the ground a lot more now. The bike is easier to control. And, I'm a big guy and I set the pressure to my weight and I don't bottom out like I did with the XCM. I installed it myself (cutting it to length was the only tricky part for me), reused the original headset, left it at 100mm and it's been terrific. It also only took me one ride to get mine dialed in to my liking.
    Im was having the same problem with my stock XCM fork. Im in excellent shape, but I'm a pretty heavy dude, so I was bottoming out like crazy. I just wanted to upgrade to a decent fork so I can just ride the chit outta my bike. Upgrade parts as the break and wear out, and go from there. Hopefully in a few years, with some saving on my part, I'll get a full suspension bike. Maybe a stumpjumber???lol I like those. Its just kinda hard dropping 3k on anything, when you got lots of bills to pay

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So you bought the 2011 not the 2012? Any difference in the two? They are the same price.

Mine its on its way....Go look at got some crzy deals! The fork I bought was at 51% off. My LBS wanted me too send them a email with the link, to give them a chance to match the price. I didnt hear back from them in a few days so I felt a had to jump on this deal before they where gone

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manycruisers View Post
    So you bought the 2011 not the 2012? Any difference in the two? They are the same price.
    Honestly i totally missed the 2012 model, I just noticed the huge discount on the 2011 and jumped on it. I really dunno the difference to be honest, other then the color.

Maybe somebody else can chime in???

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Will I have to cut the fork like he did in this video? Everything else shouldnt be a problem, but I dont have the tools he used to cut it, nor am i comfortable doing something like that with the little experience I have. I would hate to trash the thing

mtbr member
    The 2011 OE fork from Blue Sky I believe does not come with a fork pump or repair seal set. Might not even be boxed either.

I bought the 2012 version,, which is not OE and thus has a pump, seal set and box.

I've not owned a 2011, but I think they're the same fork.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_Boy View Post
    The 2011 OE fork from Blue Sky I believe does not come with a fork pump or repair seal set. Might not even be boxed either.

I bought the 2012 version,, which is not OE and thus has a pump, seal set and box.

I've not owned a 2011, but I think they're the same fork.
    looks like i'll be taking it to my LBS anyways then

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    there were some changes from 2011 to 2012. The 2012 can't be adjusted to 120mm travel because of them. They are pretty much the same though.

Cutting the steerer tube should not be frightening. Remember there's a gap between the top of the stem and the end of the tube of about 1/8" or so (it's a bike so it's actually in mm). I tried to cut mine with a pipe cutter but it was too small so I used a Dremel and filed the end smooth. Worked great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manycruisers View Post
    FYI...the 2011 from blue sky did NOT come with a air pump, seal repair kit, or anything for the remote lockout. Dunno if the 2012 does. The fork is the chit, but if the 2012 does come with everthing above, IMO thats the way to go.