mtbr member

2011 Avid bb7 disc brake work on my 08 GF Cobia?

so i have a 08 GF Cobia 29er. i want/need to upgrade my disc brakes. Will this set up work with my bike?

i cant post links yet since im a noob here still but heres the specs

2011 Avid BB7 Disc Brake Combo Kit

Kit Includes Front, and Rear 160mm Disc brakes, Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers, and Shimano Brake Cable and Housing Kit.

Avid Mechanical BB7 Disc Brake:
    Rotor: Avid G2 Clean Sweep Rotors

Weight: 361g

Includes: Rotor, Hardware, Pads, and Caliper

Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers:

Weight: 195 grams

Color: Silver/Black

Sold In Pairs

Shimano Brake Cable and Housing Kit:
    Color: Black

Housing Dia & Length: 5 x 1700mm

Cable Length: 800mm/1600mm

2011 Avid BB7 Disc Brake Combo Kit
    This Avid Kit offers the top of the line Avid BB7 160mm Disc Brakes, with upgraded Avid G2 Clean Sweep Rotors, Avid Speed Dial 7 levers, and Shimano Brake Cable Kit. The Avid BB7's mechanical disc braking system for mountain bikes provides tenacious power and superb modulation without having to upgrade your levers or bother with hydraulics. The Avid Speed Dial 7 levers compact length lever design allows 1 or 2 finger use.

mtbr member
    It should work.

I think the BB7 kit comes with spacer appropriate for the rotor size that comes with it, so I think it's a direct bolt on upgrade without having to adjust the height of the brake.

mtbr member
    sweet. can anyone else also chime in? i just want to make sure its a direct swap i can pretty much do.

blueskycycling.com is selling this deal for $129.98 sale. 50% off if anyone is wondering. pretty good deal to me it seems.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggi_e View Post
    sweet. can anyone else also chime in? i just want to make sure its a direct swap i can pretty much do.

blueskycycling.com is selling this deal for $129.98 sale. 50% off if anyone is wondering. pretty good deal to me it seems.
    If you have disc brakes now, it is a direct bolt on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    BikePedia says your bike already has BB5 brakes. So it should be an easy upgrade.
    Not sure if it's a worthwhile upgrade. If you are not happy with the BB5's, I saw on the hot deals forum that PricePoint has OEM SLX brakes for $89. Putting one on the front may be better bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    BikePedia says your bike already has BB5 brakes. So it should be an easy upgrade.
    Not sure if it's a worthwhile upgrade. If you are not happy with the BB5's, I saw on the hot deals forum that PricePoint has OEM SLX brakes for $89. Putting one on the front may be better bang for the buck.
    coming from hydraulic brakes on my old specialized p series all mountain to the avid bb5 disc brakes, not a fan of them at all. my rear brakes were barely even working yesterday after making adjustments to them. im a bigger guy 6'1 240lbs so i need to help with the stopping without breaking the bank too bad. the avid bb7's seem like they will be just fine for me.

how good are slx brakes?

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I politely disagree completely with the above comment. While yes, the SLX brakes are excellent bang for your buck, the difference between BB5 and BB7 is night and day. My wife purchased a 2010 Cobia, which came stock with BB5. I rode it around in the parking lot for a minute and immediately decided not to let her ride it on the trails until I put on some BB7s.

The BB7 is an excellent brake, easy to set up, with tremendous stopping power. The BB5 is best left to hybrids and bike path rigs. Not really a true MTB brake in my opinion.

If you feel so inclined, the SLX hydraulics are awesome as well. But be aware that a hydraulic brake is going to require a little more attention (bleeding annually is a good idea, etc).

In any event, you would not regret upgrading from BB5 to BB7.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also, since you already have a mechanical brake setup with everything, you can get the BB7's on Ebay for about $90, all in.