mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?

I want to size up from my Ikon 2.35 I am using as a front tire. Rekon 2.6 would be first on my list staying w/ Maxxis tires. How many choices are there @ the moment? I came across the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6 & the Bontrager XR4 Team issue 2.6... Maybe a Vittoria tire soon. The tire will see mostly smoother hardpack so a lighter casing and shallow tread would be beneficial. Thanks.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I want to size up from my Ikon 2.35 I am using as a front tire. Rekon 2.6 would be first on my list staying w/ Maxxis tires. How many choices are there @ the moment? I came across the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6 & the Bontrager XR4 Team issue 2.6... Maybe a Vittoria tire soon. The tire will see mostly smoother hardpack so a lighter casing and shallow tread would be beneficial. Thanks.
    Check out the bottom of this thread re the XR4 2.6. Sounds excellent, IMO.
    2.6 wagon wheelers

Lots of threads touching on this right now, in all the 29er and 29+ forums, and also in Wheels and Tires.

I just ran the Rekon's for a month, and found them rather draggy, and based on the use you mentioned, I don't think they'd be the best choice. I've got a bunch of info posted on my experience in some of the aforementioned threads. Also, I ran an Ikon 2.35 front on my previous SS for a long time, so I get where you're coming from.
    Ride more; post less...

MTB B'dos
    I honestly wouldn't be looking at the tyres you're looking at if you truly want to replace (i.e similar grip) and increase volume of the Ikon, I'd be looking more for patterns like the Ikon, as the extra size/width will also increase traction/grip. Saying what wheel size you're looking at would help with suggestions, obviously there are are more offerings in the 650B size than 29" right now, but hopefully that'll be changing real soon

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I just installed and had my first ride on the Rekon 2.6 x 29 in the 120tpi version. First reaction was they are FAST. They feel faster than Nobby Nic 2.6 and seem to have better grip in corners and off camber. I am on a SC Hightower with Light Bicycle 29 mm internal width rims. I still have to get a few more rides in different trail settings but so far I like them. I am in SoCal and had on Minion DHF 2.5 WT / Aggressor 2.5 WT tires before. Fantastic combo but a bit heavy.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    I just installed and had my first ride on the Rekon 2.6 x 29 in the 120tpi version. First reaction was they are FAST. They feel faster than Nobby Nic 2.6 and seem to have better grip in corners and off camber. I am on a SC Hightower with Light Bicycle 29 mm internal width rims. I still have to get a few more rides in different trail settings but so far I like them. I am in SoCal and had on Minion DHF 2.5 WT / Aggressor 2.5 WT tires before. Fantastic combo but a bit heavy.
    What pressures are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not sure what he's running but for me, 16 front 19 rear on Ibis 942 (i35) wheelset. I actually switched the rear to an Ikon 2.35" and I think I've found the sweet spot between grip and rolling resistance. The Ikon measures more like 2.45" and rolls faster with squared knobs, and the Rekon is just over 2.5" with angled knobs more suited to cornering...been running the Ikon at 20-21psi rear just due to the slight reduction in volume but so far, haven't come close to a rim strike and the combo rolls super fast while cornering really well.

OP, put that Ikon in the rear and try a 2.6" Rekon up front. You won't be disappointed.

Two wheels are best
    I was thinking of trying the 2.6 Rekon in place of my front 2.35 Ikon.

My rims are 23mm internal width. Are they too narrow for the 2.6 tire to be worth it?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post

My rims are 23mm internal width. Are they too narrow for the 2.6 tire to be worth it?

Yes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post

No. I have two friends with 2016 Scott Spark 940s with 23mm internal width rims running 2.6 Rekons up front with zero issues.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Not sure what he's running but for me, 16 front 19 rear on Ibis 942 (i35) wheelset. I actually switched the rear to an Ikon 2.35" and I think I've found the sweet spot between grip and rolling resistance. The Ikon measures more like 2.45" and rolls faster with squared knobs, and the Rekon is just over 2.5" with angled knobs more suited to cornering...been running the Ikon at 20-21psi rear just due to the slight reduction in volume but so far, haven't come close to a rim strike and the combo rolls super fast while cornering really well.

OP, put that Ikon in the rear and try a 2.6" Rekon up front. You won't be disappointed.
    Yep, could be the sweet spot/combo. I was running Rekonís front and rear on my SS (on i29mm Flow MK3ís), and found them too draggy. Switched to an Ardent 2.4 f/Ikon 2.35 r, and it feels much quicker. That said, I was running low PSIís on the Rekonís (12.5 f/15 r), so that was probably a factor. After I do a 24-hour solo race next weekend, I will probably put the Rekon back on the front, and run a bit more PSI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    what pressures are you running?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    r - 19, f - 15
    Last edited by SDMTB'er; 02-09-2018 at 01:57 PM.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    f - 19, r - 15
    You mean the other way around, right?

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You could use something like a 2.35 barzo, nobby nic, x-king, or other similar fast and round trailish xc tire for the front over the ikon and gain traction.

Combat Wombat
    Just got back from my initial ride with a 29er Rekon 2.6 front and a Rekon 2.25 rear. This is on my rigid SS and ran 13 F/22 R. Rims are WTB Frequency i29 F and i25 R. Next ride, definitely going to give 12 F a try and thinking about seeing how 21 R feels. First impressions, like the Rekon 2.6 up front. The Rekon 2.25 turned out to be a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. It has much shorter knobs than the 2.6 version, which I had on hand before I ordered the 2.25. The WTB Trail Boss 2.25 I previously had on the rear, fit more like a 2.35 with its larger knobs. Despite its smaller size, the Rekon 2.25 performed satisfactory. I'll keep using it, but might eventually pick up an Ikon 2.35 to try on the back.
    Last edited by BrianU; 02-10-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

^^^^^^
    I've been running this combo for a while now and it has been great in the dry but lacking climbing traction in the wet so I've been swapping between the Ikon and an Ardent 2.4.

The Ardent is a better match for the Recon in cornering traction but definitely slower and heavier than the Ikon.

I'm 150 lbs and run them at 15-17 psi front/19-21 rear on i29 rims

mtbr member
    You mean the other way around, right?

Yup - sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rocket Ron.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Any chance of a bigger, tougher Ikon? A 2.5WT Ikon with a slightly tougher casing would be cool, but I guess that would end up like the Aggressor and be overly heavy.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    I ran the Knobby Nic 29x2.6 for about 200 miles on Flow MK3 rims at 15-16 front and rear.
    Rode them on my Black Sheep SS and a Pivot Les.

Riding in lots of sand and rock, switchbacks and technical climbs and descents.

On the Flow, the NN profile is too tall for my taste. I couldn't get the pressure dialed in to really feel comfortable laying over the bike in corners. I will say when climbing on loose rock and sand in the saddle, the traction was better than when cornering at speed. The transition knobs seemed to grab whatever i wanted them to roll over.

These tires also seemed to have a very hard casing that wasn't as supple as the Chupacabra 29x3 on my other wheels. The sidewalls feel supple but the tread is rock hard.

I'ver since removed them and am awaiting the the Bonty 29x2.6 version of the Chupacabra. Hopefully they will come with new frame and wheels in a few weeks!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    May 2011

I agree with Matt, I am running the ikon 2.35 rear and rekon 2.6 front and very happy with them both. I ran the 2.6 on my old giant wheels, i19 and they were only like 2.45" that way but still rode great, they would be fine on the i23

This new Bontrager Chupa 2.6, is it tough enough to compete with Schwalbe Snakeskin or Maxxis EXO?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Ardent Race in 2.6 is a little faster and a touch less grippy than the Rekon 2.6. Running the AR 2.6 F/R on my SS and can tell a rolling diff from the Rekon. Good tire front and/or rear depending on what you pair with it. Tweener between Ikon and Rekon IMO. Better than Ardent.

EDIT: I guess it only comes in 27.5 x 2.6 not 29.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

Rides all the bikes!
    Running a 2.6/2.3 Spec Butcher combo on my Enduro. My descending times tell me it works well.

mtbr member
    No. I have two friends with 2016 Scott Spark 940s with 23mm internal width rims running 2.6 Rekons up front with zero issues.
    Just because you can do it, that does not mean you should.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    The Ardent Race in 2.6 is a little faster and a touch less grippy than the Rekon 2.6. Running the AR 2.6 F/R on my SS and can tell a rolling diff from the Rekon. Good tire front and/or rear depending on what you pair with it. Tweener between Ikon and Rekon IMO. Better than Ardent.

EDIT: I guess it only comes in 27.5 x 2.6 not 29.
    There is an Arden 275x2.6? Did not know that. So many tire options sometimes they get lost in the shuffle!

I did see the Forkaster is offered in 29x2.6. Maybe that paired with a Mezcal 2.6 or Kenda Sabre Pro 2.6 will be a good high-volume, relatively lightweight trail tire. I just wonder if any of them are tough enough for rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Got a link for the 29x2.6 Forekaster?

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    You could use something like a 2.35 barzo, nobby nic, x-king, or other similar fast and round trailish xc tire for the front over the ikon and gain traction.
    This is my current setup. Barzo TNT 2.35 @ 20psi - front
    Ikon 2.35 @ 18/19psi - rear

Both tires on i30 rims on a 120/100 mm fully 29er. Still waiting on the Mezcal to come out in about a week and will try that on the front. Keeping the Ikon for now on the rear as it hooks up great!
    Trek Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Got a link for the 29x2.6 Forekaster?
    It's supposed to be here sometime this year, haven't heard any updates though - Maxxis Forekaster 29 x 2.6
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Iím not sure if itís available yet but the Bontrager xr2 2.6 would be a perfect bigger ikon replacement.
    As for people running Recon 2.6ís on i23 rims, I have a pair setup that way now on my Unit but definitely donít recommend it. They look fine by eye but Iíve had them rollover pretty noticeably with around 20 psi in them, and I wasnít pushing them hard. In short, theyíll work great as long as youíre not leaning the bike into turns.

WNC Native
    Those of you that have ran the 2.5 Aggressor, did anyone by chance measure the actual width on those? Also how does the diameter compare to the DHF 2.5?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I run the Conti Trail King in 2.4" width. I've tried Maxxis DHF 2.5" WT tires and they are smaller volume than the Conti despite the sidewall labels. I've got some Maxxis 2.6" tires to try out, but haven't mounted them yet. I suspect in terms of casing volume the TK 2.4" will be about the same as the 2.6" Maxxis.

Just figured I would throw the TK out in the mix if you are looking at tires similar in size to the 2.6" Maxxis rubber.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    There is a thread on the Aggressor that has lots of info:

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    There is a thread on the Aggressor that has lots of info:

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5" WT
    Thanks, I found that thread shortly after my post here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    Iím not sure if itís available yet but the Bontrager xr2 2.6 would be a perfect bigger ikon replacement.
    I'd like to see a 29 x 2.6 XR2 Team. They list a XR4. Where did you hear about an XR2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My local Trek dealer said there was one on the way, not sure when though. I could have sworn I saw it in the Trek site a couple months ago but I canít find it now

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd like to see a 29 x 2.6 XR2 Team. They list a XR4. Where did you hear about an XR2?
    My local Trek dealer said there was one on the way, not sure when though. I could have sworn I saw it in the Trek site a couple months ago but I canít find it now
    I'm currently running an XR4 29x2.6 on the front of my Chameleon and really like it (XR3 2.4 in the rear). Love the 2.6 size however the XR4 is a bit more tire than I need in the rear.

My LBS is Trek and I had one of the mechanics tell me a few weeks back to expect an XR2 and also an XR3 2.6. I was just in there at the beginning of the week getting sealant and the sales manager said they're definitely expecting an XR2 but knew nothing of the XR3. I asked when we should expect the XR2 and she stared at the screen for a bit and then said, "not sure but it should be soon..." Helpful.

With it being spring in the northern hemisphere plus Sea Otter around the corner, new goods are rolling out on a regular basis now. Hopefully we'll see some new 2.6 Bontrager's soon.
    Last edited by SCTerp; 04-12-2018 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Back in the fall I was told there would be 2.6Ē Xr2, Xr4 and Se4 but no xr3 for now. The second two have shown up already so itís a good chance the xr2 will also. Again, around Christmas i was browsing the trek site and I swear I saw it listed but it may have been taken down. Anyways, I bought 2.6 Recons for now, Iíll see how they work once trails dry up around me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Back in the fall I was told there would be 2.6Ē Xr2, Xr4 and Se4 but no xr3 for now. The second two have shown up already so itís a good chance the xr2 will also. Again, around Christmas i was browsing the trek site and I swear I saw it listed but it may have been taken down. Anyways, I bought 2.6 Recons for now, Iíll see how they work once trails dry up around me.
    Never know what to believe...

This is my first time on Bontrager's and I'm liking them so far. They measure true to size and I like the rounded profile.

Let us know how those Recons workout and how the measure. I'm also intrigued by the Vittoria Mezcal's 2.6 that are supposed to land at dealers this weekend, early next week. They're definitely on my radar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    I'm currently running an XR4 29x2.6 on the front of my Chameleon and really like it (XR3 2.4 in the rear). Love the 2.6 size however the XR4 is a bit more tire than I need in the rear.

My LBS is Trek and I had one of the mechanics tell me a few weeks back to expect an XR2 and also an XR3 2.6. I was just in there at the beginning of the week getting sealant and the sales manager said they're definitely expecting an XR2 but knew nothing of the XR3. I asked when we should expect the XR2 and she stared at the screen for a bit and then said, "not sure but it should be soon..." Helpful.

With it being spring in the northern hemisphere plus Sea Otter around the corner, new goods are rolling out on a regular basis now. Hopefully we'll see some new 2.6 Bontrager's soon.
    I contacted Trek yesterday as my XR3 29x2.4 weeps pretty bad.

When finishing up that conversation, I asked about additional Bontrager tires available in 29x2.6 and specifically asked about the XR3 and XR2. He said he knew nothing about an XR3 option and that a 2.6 XR2 is a possibility but wouldn't be soon. He also commented that these are XC treads and few XC bikes have clearance for 2.6 tires which is why they're not currently available in 2.6.

It's interesting because it seems the big manufacturers are associating the 2.6 tire size with more aggressive, all mountain riding. Specialized did the same with the new Stumpjumper ST where that model gets spec'd with 2.3 tires yet the the longer travel models get 2.6 tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So my 2018 trek fuel ex 8 29r came with 2.4 xr4s. I know I was gonna put a 2.6 on the front but I also felt like the rolling resistance was kinda draggy. So I put 2.6 xr4 front and 2.4 xr3 rear. Grip was good but that front tire is heavy and I can't tell if the rolling resistance is as fast as I would like. I ride mainly hard packed and Sandy soil. My question is has anyone gone from bonti to maxxis recon 2.6 icon 2.35 and how much of a difference did it make. I know the recon is 170 grams lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by damageinc321 View Post
    So my 2018 trek fuel ex 8 29r came with 2.4 xr4s. I know I was gonna put a 2.6 on the front but I also felt like the rolling resistance was kinda draggy. So I put 2.6 xr4 front and 2.4 xr3 rear. Grip was good but that front tire is heavy and I can't tell if the rolling resistance is as fast as I would like. I ride mainly hard packed and Sandy soil. My question is has anyone gone from bonti to maxxis recon 2.6 icon 2.35 and how much of a difference did it make. I know the recon is 170 grams lighter.
    I just installed Rekons 29x2.6 front and rear on my Chameleon. I had an XR4 2.6 on the front with XR3 2.4 in the rear before the swap.

I don't have enough time on the Rekons to provide a detailed review or comparison as I only have 3 rides/40 miles on them but I can share the rolling resistance is much better with the Rekon over the XR4 - was immediately noticeable.

FWIW the Rekons weighed 793 and 798 while the XR4 weighed 960. And the Rekons measured 2.55 after sitting overnight at 35 PSI on Derby 29.5mmID rims.

I'll report back when I have more time on the Rekons but I really like them thus far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the input, since I'm mainly on hardpacked , hardly any wet I think as long as the grip is good I will make the change for the better rr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by damageinc321 View Post
    Thanks for the input, since I'm mainly on hardpacked , hardly any wet I think as long as the grip is good I will make the change for the better rr.
    I should have mentioned our terrain which at this point it mostly fast hardpacked with some loose over hardpacked and sandy spots on flow trails that include quick ups and downs.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ikon 29x2.6

Here are Ikon 29x2.6, soon to be available. 780g and 800g on my scale.

2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?-20180512_135651.jpg2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?-20180512_142006b.jpg

Also Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.6. 750g each.

2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?-screenshot_20180511-205359_photos.jpg

Who how much room do those have in that Sniper? Intense made it sound like 2.4s would be tight in that frame.

mtbr member
    Ole, excited to see these in 2.6. The Rekon 29x2.6 was a touch to tight for comfort on my rear chainstay. Hopefully the Ikon with shorter cornering knobs will give me suitable clearance! Iím looking for an alternate to the Aggressor 2.5 out back.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fwiw I'm running a 2.6 addix nobby nic up front and 2.6 addix rocket Ron out back and am really happy with them. Great grip for the areas I've ridden (mostly Tampa area + occasional trip to NC). Also seems to roll really fast, especially on softer ground where the 2.35s dug in a bit more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Here are Ikon 29x2.6, soon to be available. 780g and 800g on my scale
    That's what I've been waiting for.

I've been pretty satisfied with my Ikon 2.35/2.20 setup. But I want to try 2.6/2.35...just for the fun of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Just wonder how tough the Ikon 2.6 will be. That's the issue with the many fast rolling trail tires, they seem to ditch the tougher casings when the knobs get smaller.

My Ardent Race EXO 2.4 has held up suprisingly well, and I thought about a Rocket Ron, but just not sure how much I trust any of these tires (not sure if Mezcal will be better) as much as I would the Aggressor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Any idea when the Ikons will be available?

I'm currently running Rekon 29x2.6 front and rear and really like them but look forward to running an Ikon 2.6 in the rear especially during the dry summer months.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Who how much room do those have in that Sniper? Intense made it sound like 2.4s would be tight in that frame.
    Iíd bet those 2.6 Sabers are more like 2.45 +/-
    My 2.4s ran small.

Regarding the Kenda casing, mine are much heavier than light skin Rons fwiw, and quite fast rolling.

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

This place needs an enema
    Bontrager XR-2's in 2.6" are light, fast, supple. Bomber tubeless, too.

XR-2 doesn't shop as being available yet in 2.6 sizes.

Is there a Bontrager option in 2.6 that is comparable to Rekon/Forekaster? Something suitable for front tire use in aggressive, but not DH conditions. Relatively fast rolling but retaining good corner knobs?

Is there a Bontrager option in 2.6 that is comparable to Rekon/Forekaster? Something suitable for front tire use in aggressive, but not DH conditions. Relatively fast rolling but retaining good corner knobs?

I have them in stock in 29 x 2.6.

XR-2 is comparable to Rekon. XR-4 is a much more aggressive tread, also available (in stock) in 2.6".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In the past, bikes were often specd with Ikon/Rekon, so if you want to upgrade the traction from an Ikon, a Rekon would be a natural.

I have run Rekons in 27.5 x 2.8 and am now running 29 x 2.6, like em in both sizes, very durable, nice combo of weight, traction, and effciency. Get the 120tpi if you're not a tire abuser, get the 60tpi otherwise.

A wider rim would be better, but the rim you have will work.

Also might want to look at tire offerings in the 2.4 range, that'll give you some more traction and cushion without getting to big for your rims. Make sure you have rim/fork capacity.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

XR-2 is comparable to Rekon. XR-4 is a much more aggressive tread, also available (in stock) in 2.6".
    Have you mounted any of these, and / or would they work well with an i35 rim? Currently running 29 x 2.6 NNs on i35s. The sidewalls are wearing out way before the tread. I'd like for the tread to be at least slightly wider than the casing. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it should help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

29x2.6 XR2's???? These aren't even on the Trek site. If you somehow have some I will take one!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've tried xr4 2.4 f/r great traction but slow. Then 2.6 xr4 f and 2.4 xr3 r good grip and faster but heavy front tire and I thought I could still get more speed. Now 2.6 recon f 2.35 icon r faster but grip in front is not as good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what is the internal width of your rims in the shot with the Saber Pros? I have just installed the 2.4's, and deciding if a 2.6 would be happy on my i9's (24.5 internal)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_135651.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	380.9 KB 
ID:	1198033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_142006b.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	1198034

Also Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.6. 750g each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180511-205359_Photos.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	1198035
    what is the internal width of your rims in the shot with the Saber Pros? I have just installed the 2.4's, and deciding if a 2.6 would be happy on my i9's (24.5 internal)...

Pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?-img_1614.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Pic.
    Sweeeeet.....What does that 2.6 weigh ?

WNC Native
    Pic.
    You by any chance have any mounted on around an i30mm rim to measure width on?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    You by any chance have any mounted on around an i30mm rim to measure width on?

I don't know weight or size -- I bought 'em to have in stock. I'm a 3.0 guy when it comes to riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2.6 options to replace 2.35 Ikon?-img_1614.jpg

Finally. Not listed on Trek's site yet, though. Trek says 64.99. Can be ordered by a local store.

I am Walt
    I don't know weight or size -- I bought 'em to have in stock. I'm a 3.0 guy when it comes to riding.
    Hey Mike, IIRC, the packaging should have the weight on the back. Can you post a pick of the other side of the packaging? Thanks!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi guys, lots of good info in here thankfully.
    I need a PNW Summer Hardpack combo. I have the dhf 2.5f/dhr2 2.4 combo that I like for the spring and fall goodness but come summer it's lots of Hardpack or dust. The dhf/dhr2 is draggy and heavy for this time of the year.

Is the new defacto a 2.6 rekon/2.6 ikon as far as Maxxis goes? Or should I look heavily at something else? My frame supports 2.6 front and rear (thank you rocky mountain).

Hey Mike, IIRC, the packaging should have the weight on the back. Can you post a pick of the other side of the packaging? Thanks!

Good point -- it says 745g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I just got a set. I only weighed one but it is 760g.

I am Walt
    Great; thanks! That is quite nice!

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Where are they on sale on your website? Or just email you about them?

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I just got a set. I only weighed one but it is 760g.
    Can you post some width measurements after you get it mounted?

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    +1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This size XR2 2.6 should fit non Boost RockShox and Fox forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sorry. Have not had a chance yet but I will try to post something once I mount one up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I picked one up as well and posted some pictures/thoughts here:

Fastest rolling 29x2.6?

Where are they on sale on your website? Or just email you about them?

Yeah, sorry -- I don't have an e-commerce portal where you can just drop something in a cart and check out. Inventory is too fluid for that, and I'm already too pinned as-is.

So yeah -- you just send me an email and we go from there. mike dot curiak at gmail dot youknowwhat.

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Have you mounted any of these, and / or would they work well with an i35 rim? Currently running 29 x 2.6 NNs on i35s. The sidewalls are wearing out way before the tread. I'd like for the tread to be at least slightly wider than the casing. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it should help.

Haven't mounted any yet, sorry. I think i35 would be a titch wide, and maybe i30 would be closer to ideal.

It's a low-knob design, which isn't typically known for having knobs wider than casing IMO. That said, Bontrager's modern casings are pretty impressive when it comes to sidewall durability.

mtbr member
    That said, Bontrager's modern casings are pretty impressive when it comes to sidewall durability.
    That's the rub for me. (no pun intended) I ride around lots of lava rock. Can you please compare Bontragers' sidewall durability to Maxxis'? I have been running Ardent 2.4's for several years on my rigid SS and am looking for a little more volume but do not want to sacrifice sidewall durability.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    I have been running Ardent 2.4's for several years on my rigid SS and am looking for a little more volume but do not want to sacrifice sidewall durability.

TIA

Ardent EXO sidewalls wear like iron. I'm not aware of anything that resists abrasion as well as they do.

You'd have to go to the Bontrager SE4 casing to get that level of durability. But you'd get the increased volume you're after.

I am Walt
    Thanks to mikesee, I got a new pair of 2.6 XR2's. They are listed on the packaging as 745g, and they weighed...wait for it...745g.

Mounted on Duroc 40 i36mm rims, they are already measuring 2.6+, inflated to about 45 PSI. I'll report back after riding them a bit.

I know the Duroc 40's might be a "titch" wide for these, but I am hoping this will be a great, all-around "mid-plus" setup.

My other wheelset for this bike is Flow MK3's, which are i29. I have Ikon 2.35 on those right now. May try these XR2's on there if these prove too wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Ardent EXO sidewalls wear like iron. I'm not aware of anything that resists abrasion as well as they do.

You'd have to go to the Bontrager SE4 casing to get that level of durability. But you'd get the increased volume you're after.
    great feedback, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Mike, any word on if an XR3 will become available in the same size? Thinking an XR3 front / XR2 rear would be a great combo for my Ripley.

Mike, any word on if an XR3 will become available in the same size? Thinking an XR3 front / XR2 rear would be a great combo for my Ripley.
    I havenít heard anything in any direction on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For my terrain and speeds which are medium shorter ups/downs a 30mm rim gets the most performance out of a XR1 2.2 Team at 14psi on the front. Run since 2014.
    34-35mm is a match for the XR2 2.35x29 Team.
    For me 39-45mm would be the sweet spot for the 2.6 which I can only use as a front.

If speeds were higher from longer downs possibly a less wide rim could be necessary to keep the tire from burping. Different terrains need different combos.

mtbr member
    Curious as to what the height of the finished wheelbuild you're all getting on a Rekon, xr2 or xr4 with an iw30-35mm rim? 30"?
    Last edited by socal_jack; 06-07-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I got the 29x2.6 Mezcal set up on my 27mm internal Blunt SS rims. As usual with Vittoria tubeless products, it was a bear to install, but sealed without fancy pumps or compressed air.

On my narrower rims, this tire is a bit too big. Doing cutties on pavements had me wishing for a slightly wider rim. The tire has enough grip to give the sensation of rolling, although with as tight as the bead is I shouldn't be worried about burping them.

I have a feeling it'll be a fast rolling tires with relatively good grip due to it's shear volume.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My Recons on WTB i35ís are around 29 3/4 tall

mtbr member
    My Recons on WTB i35ís are around 29 3/4 tall
    Thanks! Height is the only limiting factor on my ROS9, Goma 2.4s were about that tall don't want to go any taller. Purg/Butcher 2.6s are about 29.5" on i29.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I got to ride the 2.6" XR2s yesterday on my 2018 Ripley LS. I've been running a 2.6" Rekon up front and 2.35" Ikon out back for awhile, but my friend just got the XR2s and let me borrow his wheelset to try them.

Very impressed with how fast these tires roll. Grip is very good for such a low profile tire. Grip isn't quite as good as the Rekon/Ikon combo when being aggressive through loose corners, but it's very close. And the ride quality...wow these tires are supple as hell. Way better than the Maxxis tires in terms of how they conform to chunky terrain and smooth out the ride, yet they roll faster. I'm thinking I'm willing to sacrifice the little cornering grip they give up for the increased speed and comfort.

Now the question is, do I pick up a 3" front and 2.6" rear to mount on my Ibis 942s, or stick with 2.6s?....decisions decisions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I got to ride the 2.6" XR2s yesterday on my 2018 Ripley LS. I've been running a 2.6" Rekon up front and 2.35" Ikon out back for awhile, but my friend just got the XR2s and let me borrow his wheelset to try them.

Very impressed with how fast these tires roll. Grip is very good for such a low profile tire. Grip isn't quite as good as the Rekon/Ikon combo when being aggressive through loose corners, but it's very close. And the ride quality...wow these tires are supple as hell. Way better than the Maxxis tires in terms of how they conform to chunky terrain and smooth out the ride, yet they roll faster. I'm thinking I'm willing to sacrifice the little cornering grip they give up for the increased speed and comfort.

Now the question is, do I pick up a 3" front and 2.6" rear to mount on my Ibis 942s, or stick with 2.6s?....decisions decisions!
    Yes. Very fast. I had one on the rear and a rekon on front. Replaced the rekon with another 2.6 xr2. Blazing fast. I wanted to test it before race this weekend and so i pushed it in a bunch loose and gravelly singletrack. Got a little nervous a few times as I usually dont like matched front/rears.got back and had set PRs in those loose sections, which Ive done 40-50 times. I realized why I was gettng sideways and nervous was because I was going so damn fast vs usual speeds and low grip. It felt fast because it was fast.

Anywho smokin fast and supple like you said. i29 with 17f and 20r.

I am Walt
    Yes. Very fast. I had one on the rear and a rekon on front. Replaced the rekon with another 2.6 xr2. Blazing fast. I wanted to test it before race this weekend and so i pushed it in a bunch loose and gravelly singletrack. Got a little nervous a few times as I usually dont like matched front/rears.got back and had set PRs in those loose sections, which Ive done 40-50 times. I realized why I was gettng sideways and nervous was because I was going so damn fast vs usual speeds and low grip. It felt fast because it was fast.

Anywho smokin fast and supple like you said. i29 with 17f and 20r.
    Great to hear!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Great to hear!
    Now I just have to make sure the speed doesnt write checks that the grip cant cash. I didnt have that problem with ikon/ardent or ft/purg or xr3/xr3 setups Ive run in the past. All 2.3-2.4 29ers. But i also dont think any of those were as fast as this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just put 50 miles on te XR2 2.6 f/r on one of the most sandy courses out there (Buff Creek/bailey hundito) and man was it loose today. Some thoughts on the XR2 on the front: loose on even the slightest oversteer but quick to catch on any correction. They became extremely predictable which is nice but Maybe more grip is needed. First time onmany of the trails in the race today so that contributed to my oversteer, but leaned over and smooth lines and they were rolling out fast. Also buff creek is extremely loose so most tires would have some diffuculty. Im keeping them on the front for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Ok so I've went tubeless with recon 2.6 f and icon 2.35 rear..17/25 pressure but I keep thinking maybe xr3 xr2 combo might be better grip and rr? Anyone switch to that combo?

Yesterday I measured the b2b and weight of nine 29 x 2.6" tires. Worth mentioning that the McFly is called a 2.8 and the FBN is nominally a 3.0.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf = 156mm, 999g.
    Maxxis Rekon = 160mm, 771g.
    Terevail Kennebec = 166mm, 1002g. This is the 'light and supple' version -- feels plenty heavy to me.
    Bontrager XR-4 = 160mm, 943g.
    Bontrager XR-2 = 159mm, 730g.
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble = 174mm, 800g.
    Terrene McFly = 160mm, 874g. Light version.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic = 159mm, 916g, 1000g (yes, I weighed two)
    Vittoria Mezcal = 166mm, 883g.

Of these, so far I've ridden the

Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    Maxxis Rekon
    Bontrager XR-4
    Bontrager XR-2
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic

Haven't yet found a place where I like the HD. It has grip for days out back, seems to skate up front, and seems way heavier than I need for the way I ride these days.
    Rekon is a good all-rounder, front or rear. More sensitive to pressure up front -- meaning I don't like it nearly as much when it's even 1psi too firm.
    XR4 is really good up front. Seems like overkill out back.
    XR2 is my favorite out back so far. Haven't tried it up front yet.
    FBN seems to be made of papier mache. Might be fine in places without rocks, but it was just too delicate for me, even up front.
    NN is sorta meh. Rolls OK, corners OK, traction is OK. Can't say that it particularly shines anywhere specific.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So I was wondering if a 2.6 xr3 would be coming out and how that would be up front with a 2.6 xr2 on back vs recon / icon. Or even 2.4 xr3/ xr2 combo. How does xr3 compare to recon, and how does xr2 compare to icon?

mtbr member
    I've got a few hundred miles on the Kenda Sabre Pro 2.6 tires. VERY fast tires. Would prefer a little more grip on the front but overall, great. They would not work well in muddy conditions.