mtbr member

2.6 on 29 internal width wheels?

I am currently using a 29x2.35 Butcher and 29x2.35 Slaughter on my 2019 Stumpy Comp ST. These tires are just too narrow for my liking. Might just go with tried and true dhf 2.5 and try a 2.5 Aggressor on rear. But before i do that, I was wondering how some of the new 29x2.6 tires would work on 29mm wheels? Is that too narrow of a wheel for that wide of a tire? I know the 2.6 Butcher and 2.5 Maxxis are more like 2.4 but Schwalble and some of the others always measure out.
    Specialized Camber 29

mtbr member
    I tried 27.5x2.6 Schwalbes on 23mm iw rims and they were fine. That wasn't optimum, so I now run them on 35mm, but my wife runs them on 29mm iw rims with no issues at all. If you plan on running really low pressures, 29mm may be just a bit narrow, but I think you'll be fine. I believe Maxxis has 30-35mm as optimum for their WT's, but this isn't rocket surgery. 1mm won't make a big difference.

Out spokin'
    My rims are only 1.5mm wider than yours (i30.5mm) which is insignificant. I'm running 29x2.6" Schwalbe Nobby Nicks -- this rim/tire combo works great. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to give such tires try on i29mm rims.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Agree with above comments, I am running NN 2.6 front and NN 2.35 rear on 28mm internal Light Bicycle rims and they work great. I put it all together with those tires in mind, and I am very pleased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My 36i seemed to big for the rekon 29x2.6....but just right for the Bontrager xr4 29x2.6...

Combat Wombat
    I have been running a Maxxis Rekon 29 X 2.6 on a 29mm for about the last 6 months. Initially experimented with pressures down to 11.5 lbs, which felt pretty good, but I ride some rocky trails and rim strikes were too easy for my liking. I eventually settled on 13.5 lbs and under my 170 riding weight, actually feels firm. Still smack a rim occasionally, but it takes some doing on my part. Seems like a great combination to me.

mtbr member
    good to hear. i appreciate it. yeah, Ive got the Maxxis set up in my Amazon cart ready to go. Bike shop has some 2.6 NNs. I would imagine they are a true 2.6. I am very hesitant on the Nics though. seems they are like Ardents. People either love em' or hate em'. I had Ardents and I wouldn't wish that crap tire on anyone. Although I did give mine away to a buddy. I would love to try the new Hans 2.6, but at $90, I can live without em. Sucks because I used to love the Hans in 29x2.35. such an awesome, forgiving tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I emailed Bontrager on that subject and it was OK but it depends on tire model. I suggest you write to the manufacturer about your model. Even if it is OK in my personal experience you might be heavier or more agressive or on different trails so i prefer to not allways trust what i hear or read even if it comes fom a person with good intentions.

mtbr member
    Wideawakejack, I've got the same rims as you on my Specialized Enduro. I've been runnning Kenda Sabre Pro 2.6 tires for a couple of months now. No problems with fit and I can run much lower tire pressures.

mtbr member
    thanks Jeff, i will check those out. Haven't had Kendas since a set of Nevgals back in 210. Sort of debating between 2.35 Hans f/r, 2.6 Nics f/r, 2.5 dhf/2.5aggressor, and 2.5Agressor f/r. Had every tire except the Nics.

mtbr member
    So ended up just getting 2.6 purg's front and rear. My bike shop had em, and I get a nice discount. For those wondering the 29x2.6 Purgatory's are really a true 2.4. Or a Schwalbe 2.35, or a Maxxis 2.5. Basically I remembered why I got rid of my 27.5 + Tallboy, and realized a true 29x2.35 or 2.4 is pretty much optimal. I would say the Purgs are just a good all round tire choice.

Here, diagonally!
    IMO, the Nics the strength of the Nic 2.6s is that they roll really well for a true 2.6. Grip is decent, but not stellar. But just going to a 2.6 from a smaller tire will give you more grip. The cush of a bigger tire is nice for sure.

Oh and i29 is perfectly fine for this tire. You'll get a little more sideways flex than with a wider rim. Generally that is not a plus, but personally on faster bumpy corners I actually like a little bit of give in that area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    IMO, the Nics the strength of the Nic 2.6s is that they roll really well for a true 2.6. Grip is decent, but not stellar. But just going to a 2.6 from a smaller tire will give you more grip. The cush of a bigger tire is nice for sure.

Oh and i29 is perfectly fine for this tire. You'll get a little more sideways flex than with a wider rim. Generally that is not a plus, but personally on faster bumpy corners I actually like a little bit of give in that area.
    JACKL thanks for that info. I am just curious what do you think of the Nic 2.6 on wet rocks and roots? I like my XC hardtail with a Specialized 2.35 in front, it was fine too previously with a Continental 2.4 but it might be just to make it a bit more versatile. My frame is too narrow for it in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    I am currently using a 29x2.35 Butcher and 29x2.35 Slaughter on my 2019 Stumpy Comp ST. These tires are just too narrow for my liking. Might just go with tried and true dhf 2.5 and try a 2.5 Aggressor on rear. But before i do that, I was wondering how some of the new 29x2.6 tires would work on 29mm wheels? Is that too narrow of a wheel for that wide of a tire? I know the 2.6 Butcher and 2.5 Maxxis are more like 2.4 but Schwalble and some of the others always measure out.
    The Aggessor will be just fine. The DHF will require you to be really dedicated to lean the bike over. I had the DHF on 30i rims and took it off, will put it back on for park stuff. But the DHR2 is a better tire most the time.

Here, diagonally!
    I don't have a whole lot of experience with these tires on wet roots, but I did ride a wet trail on the Vancouver North Shore and they gripped wet roots and wooden features very well, although the soil there seems to promote grip regardless. Few other wet rides in TX, and didn't notice any bad habits out of the norm...although when there is mud on a root, the tire will slip regardless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    Currently running 29x2.6 Butcher/Purg combo on WTB i29 asyms, after more than a month neither has even hit 2.5" across at widest point with usually ~20/22 psi f/r. They are fairly tall tho, about the overall size of the Gomas they replaced and about same weight I believe. When I bought they had em mounted on new Stumpy looked all of 2.6 but the rims looked wide like 35mm+. Butcher seems a lot like a DHF, need to actively lean to get the most bite, probably get something else next time for the front.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A note on Bontrager XR2 2.6 Teams. High volume rounded profile goes good on a 40mm inner. 30 works for a 2.2. 35 for a 2.35.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    A note on Bontrager XR2 2.6 Teams. High volume rounded profile goes good on a 40mm inner. 30 works for a 2.2. 35 for a 2.35.
    2.6 on 29 internal width wheels?-screenshot_20180817-091117_samsung-internet.jpg

Stop with the BS. Trek designed the tires around 30i because that is where most people find is the sweet spot. And what they will spec on their bikes.

You might like something different but you only speak it, as gospel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Do you sell rims or something? You keep pushing this idea that everyone needs wide ass rims for 2.2 tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Do you sell rims or something? You keep pushing this idea that everyone needs wide ass rims for 2.2 tires.
    Just about any thread that has to do with rim / tire width contains a 35mm+ rim and Bontrager tire endorsement from eb1888...

Zealot "a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals"