mtbr member
    Jul 2012

1x10 what chainring up front????

I took my new Jet9 on it's maiden voyage with a 34 tooth crank up front and an 11-36 cassette out back.

I felt that everything I had was fine, but I was constantly in the lower half of my range, and I ocasionally wnet into my 11 ring just to do it, and I realized that I don't need that steep of a gear for my type of riding.

My BCD is 104, so I think the lowest I can go is a 32 tooth front ring and I'm thinking about going there, because I'd rather have an extra gear in the bottom than an extra gear on the top.

What front ring are you guys riding in your 1x10 setups?

29er
    Apr 2010
    i have 28 front mrp bling ring, 11-36 rear

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm still in the past rocking a 1x9 and I'm running a 32 front 11x34 rear. It is plenty low enough for what I need. Honestly if the gearing feels fine I honestly wouldn't worry about where you're at on the cassette unless you really need a 32x36.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You can run a 30 on a 104bcd crank with slight modification to the tabs on the crank.

Extralite and anderson machine make them. I'd go with Anderson. I have the extralite and it's designed to be used with an outer ring or bash guard. So I had to do a lot of dicking with it to make it work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am also running a 30t x 36. If you have a crankset with removable spider, you can purchase a 30t bling ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This with a 32 currently with a 10 speed cog with a 36 as the largest gear.

Then you can swap rings easily to suite your terrain and cog gearing spread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    You can run a 30 on a 104bcd crank with slight modification to the tabs on the crank.

Extralite and anderson machine make them. I'd go with Anderson. I have the extralite and it's designed to be used with an outer ring or bash guard. So I had to do a lot of dicking with it to make it work.
    I run a 34 tooth bash guard, I don't mind taking a dremel to my crank which doesn't have a removeable spider...

Do you still recommend the Anderson over the extralite? who stocks both?

Thanks!!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    I run a 34 tooth bash guard, I don't mind taking a dremel to my crank which doesn't have a removeable spider...

Thanks!!!
    Russ Anderson is MTBR.com member BRUZED. You can find information on ordering his rings here. Scroll down to the bottom of that page where it talks about his non-shifting 30T for 1 x __ set ups.

You car order Extralite directly from their global website.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Thanks!!!
    If you're running a bash then either will work fine. The extralite is cheaper and fairwheel bikes in AZ has one in stock right now.

Just be aware that the female part of the chain ring bolts is integrated into the ring on the extralite. Be careful not to strip the threads. But, the positive is that you only need one hand to tighten the bolts.

Those integrated female bolts is what caused the problem for me. They are too long if you don't have an outer ring or bash - so I had to grind each one down about half way and clean the threads with a tap. But for you, it will be a 10 minute install.

Extralite Octaramp MTB Chainrings (104 / 64 BCD) : Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique
    Last edited by 92gli; 01-24-2013 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm on a Bling Ring, and I love it. This looks like another option: New North Shore Billet Single Chainrings for SRAM Cranks, Universal Spiders for XX1 - Bike Rumor
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I'm on a Bling Ring, and I love it. This looks like another option: New North Shore Billet Single Chainrings for SRAM Cranks, Universal Spiders for XX1 - Bike Rumor
    How about you bling ring guys get a room while us dorks with old cranks talk about our thing ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    awesome info guys, I've got an account with fairwheel they have remarkable customer service, I'll probably go that route!

mtbr member
    My Stumpy EVO 29er hardtail came stock with a 33 chainring and 11/36 ten speed cassette.....This combo works perfectly in my area and with my riding style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode a new 2013 Scalpel yesterday with a 38/24 set up in the front. I did a test and I stayed in the little ring the entire ride (18 miles), with no problems whatsoever. Even with only a 24T up front, I did not need to shift out of it even for the faster sections.
    I am seriously considering using just the 24T up front 1 x 10 and replacing the 38 with a small bashguard, which will also raise my BB clearance up front substantially.
    2011 C-Dale Flash 1 650b
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ran it through sheldon browns gear calculator (God Bless SB) and figured the 34x11-36 gears out and knowing that my top one was worthless, I ran the numbers at 32, and 30...

32 wan't enough of a change to really bother with, and 30 was just about even with taking out my higest gear and adding one to the bottom which is my goal.

So I have a 30 on order, I'll have to grind on my crank spider a little, but I'll survive.

I might lose my "going downhill on paved roads" gear but $h1t, it's a mountainbike it doesn't need that gear!!!!

mtbr member
    I raced CAT3 last year and for the mid west races i found that on my 3x10 setup i was only using the middle 32 chain ring, occasionally shifting to the 44 up front for flat fast finishes. Late in the season I switched to 1x10 and went with 36 chain ring as I still needed something for fast sections that 32 didn't quite have.
    I'm mostly fine, staying out of the 36cog in the back but if the course is really steep I throw the 34 chain ring on before the race.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

I run the Anderson 30T chainring. I've had it for almost a year. Quality stuff, been very pleased. I run a SLX crank, the 30T and a Race Face lightweight bash.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    here's my set up, never fails, not expensive, not super blingy...but it works. Chain tensioners are for freeride and DH bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1x10 what chainring up front????-30t-bash.jpg  

1x10 what chainring up front????-30t-non-drive.jpg  

1x10 what chainring up front????-30t.jpg  

1x10 what chainring up front????-30t-rear.jpg  

1x10 what chainring up front????-rear-rack.jpg  

Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    looks great pascale,

I had to pick up an isis crank puller today, I'm gonna take it off and do a little grinding on it tonight, I have the extralite in hand, if I like it i'll ride it till it breaks then replace it with an anderson.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    33 up front.

mtbr member

looks great pascale,

I had to pick up an isis crank puller today, I'm gonna take it off and do a little grinding on it tonight, I have the extralite in hand, if I like it i'll ride it till it breaks then replace it with an anderson.

THANKS!
    Thanks, lets see the Jet 9.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    Thanks, lets see the Jet 9.
    ask and you shall receive! I tried to do a decent writeup without boring people to death with my bike with no carbon that actually uses cables to activate the brakes =]let me know if theres something you want me to get better, these were taken with the iphone I can always bust out the big camera if I need to...

OFFICIAL: JET9 Picture and Setup Thread

heres a teaser:

mtbr member
    Just ordered up a 32T front ring ( Integrated Bash Ring - IBR - Hope Integrated Bash Ring Product Details ); running 11-36 in the back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've been running a 32 x 11-36 10 speed cassette with a e.13 TRS guide for a couple seasons now. Its smooth, quiet and I've never dropped a chain.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed