mtbr member
    Apr 2012

1x10 front chainring sizing and functionality questions!

I want to go to a 1x10 on my HT but have never done anything like this before and have a few questions.

1) What is the best way to determine what size chainring I should buy? I run a XX 39/26 on my FS but not really sure what I spend more time in between the two.

I am going to get a homebrewed spiderless so I can go small if need be. I was thinking somewhere between 28-32 just not sure what will be best for MOST conditions. I am willing to give up some top speed and also willing to give up some gearing for climbing as well.

2) With it being on a HT and running an 11-36 in back would I need to worry about a chain guide at all or should I be okay. I am a pretty delicate rider and usually try not keep the rubber down while riding.

3) Is there a chain that is best to run? If I have sram cassette and RD just stick with SRAM?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpy16 View Post
    I run a XX 39/26 on my FS but not really sure what I spend more time in between the two.
    32 is just inbetween

Alway use a chainguide, of an old front mech.
    Use a short or medium cage rear mech.
    Use the 10 sped chain you are comfortable with.
    I like th shimano CN-6600 (Ultegra 10 speed)
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    I want to go to a 1x10 on my HT but have never done anything like this before and have a few questions.

1) What is the best way to determine what size chainring I should buy? I run a XX 39/26 on my FS but not really sure what I spend more time in between the two.

I am going to get a homebrewed spiderless so I can go small if need be. I was thinking somewhere between 28-32 just not sure what will be best for MOST conditions. I am willing to give up some top speed and also willing to give up some gearing for climbing as well.
    32 is a good starting point.
    Also consider an MRP bling ring - you might get it faster.
    2) With it being on a HT and running an 11-36 in back would I need to worry about a chain guide at all or should I be okay. I am a pretty delicate rider and usually try not keep the rubber down while riding.
    Yes. At a minimum, I would get a top guide, like the e13 XCX or MRP 1x.
    3) Is there a chain that is best to run? If I have sram cassette and RD just stick with SRAM?
    Chains are a personal preference - I prefer KMC or Shimano myself. Just run whatever you are comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    32 is a good starting point.
    Also consider an MRP bling ring - you might get it faster.

Yes. At a minimum, I would get a top guide, like the e13 XCX or MRP 1x.

Chains are a personal preference - I prefer KMC or Shimano myself. Just run whatever you are comfortable with.
    Thank you so much for your help. I think I will start with a 31 or 32 and see where that takes me. I guess if it is too much then I just need to man up and train harder.

Just out of curiosity how likely would it be that I would drop my chain if I chose not to run a guide? I don't usually pay much attention to my FD when I am riding but does it really help that much with keeping the chain on? I just like the look of the bike without but also don't want to damage the frame because of massive chain suck on my first ride.

mtbr member
    Depends on what you are riding, I guess. And your chain line (ie which gearing combinations you spend most of your time in). My chain guide (e13 XCX) has saved me quite a few times.

If you are running a clutch type RD, you might be able to get away without running a guide, but personally I prefer not having to stop all the time. When I am out riding, I want to ride, not fix my bike.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 32 Blackspire Mono Veloce and a BBG bashwich. Works great, I have a clutched RD, but that was not purchased as part of the system.

Rider and Wrench
    Not sure what type of riding you do and how long your "extended" climbs are but for most XC riding I would try to stick to a 32 or larger- I have run a few combos of 1X9, 1X10 and 2X10's and once you ride it for a bit it can surprise you how you adjust, I have a HT set up with a 26T-38T 2X 10 front crank and was surprised to find myself in the 38 99.9% of the time and prior to that I usually ran in my middle 32T ring- so it took me no time to adjust to the bigger ring-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I run a 32x11-36 it works great for everything around me Ohio, Pa. I run a mrp lopes chain guide, I tried one ride with out a guide, and it was a huge pain dropped the chain on every minor bump.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are there any steep ascents you find you can get up with that setup? That is good to know about the chain guide I will look into that and not even bother about trying to run without one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are there any steep ascents you find you can get up with that setup? That is good to know about the chain guide I will look into that and not even bother about trying to run without one.
    I have ran this setup for an entire season, and have not had an issue with a climb yet. Sometimes I will have to stand up, and mash, but haven't been stopped yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    I run a 32x11-36 it works great for everything around me...
    Same for me as well...in AZ. Works for everything from quick XC to AM on my HT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
    I'm running a 32 Blackspire Mono Veloce and a BBG bashwich. Works great, I have a clutched RD, but that was not purchased as part of the system.
    I ran the same on a Jabberwocky. I run BBG inner and outer for a chain sandwich now. Not light, but not heavy either. Perfect if you don't want the look of a chain guide.

Always Learning
    Another option for chain retention available is the Widgit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Do not purchase homebrew rings!

He doesn't ship them. I ordered in the Spring and never received my Homebrew ring for my XX cranks. In addition, he will not respond to any requests for information. Search this forum and you'll find a very large thread dedicated to the huge issues related to this company!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    what chain guide can i use on an air 9 rdo?

mtbr member
    The Paul chain keeper is my favorite. I especially like the chain keeper BB. It replaces a driveside bb spacer. I like the cleaner look of not having anything mounted to the seat tube. I had one on my Trek Sawyer and it worked great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Put your actual relation on sheldonbrown.com gear calculator on web site... Look for more used gearset to find best match chainring...

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    My Stumpjumper EVO ht came with a 1x10 setup standard.....11/36 cassette, 33 tooth chainring in the front with an e13 chain guide. It has an X0 short cage rear derailer...This setup has worked well for me in all conditions. I prefer KMC X series chains over Shimano and SRAM.

mtbr member
    I run a 34t chainring with mrp single guide up front and a 11-36 in the back. X9 shifter and derailleur. Works flawless

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sorry if this is a hijack but intending to also do a new build with 1x10 which I know too little about

Is there any advantage using a single chain ring designed, downhill specific crankset, for example the SRAM XO DH, over any other type which is modified to take a single chainring instead of the 2 or 3 it was designed for?

My mind says the DH set should be stronger