mtbr member
    Oct 2014

New question here. 1x10 conversion, Chianline problem (Cannondale 2013 Scalpel 2)

Hi,
    I'm thinking about converting my Scalpel to 1x10 (using OneUp solution – adding the 42 cog)

Currently, I'm running xtr 985 crank (double) with a chainline of 48.8 mm and a unique bcd (88 mm) – this brings me to Wolftooth solution (replcing the big/outside ring) but the problem (if i understood correctly…) is that Wolftooth ring has a chainline of 52mm

Today, when I'm riding the big ring (40T), and the big 36 cog in the back (crossing my chain in purpose) everything works but i know it's not ideal and just from looking at the chain it looks crossed :-/
    Tomorrow, when i'll have the 1x10 solution (with the 985 crank) this will be kind of the same scenario (riding the big/outside ring (32T) even when I'll need to shift to lower gears like the 36T or 42T) - I'm afraid that 52mm will be too high and will end with high chain-cross

Did I miss anything?
    What do you think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That is what happens when converting from double to single chainring, triple to single is ideal. Let us know how it went, I have a 1x10 with One-Up 42t and SRAM X9 powertrain and everything works fine(ish), almost as good as the XT powertrain on my other bike. The 1x10 is an acquired taste, I find myself liking it more and more.
    2013 Trek Fuel EX7 FS Trail (26er)
    2014 Kona Process 111a FS Enduro (29er)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    With the BB30 bottom bracket I don't think you can do much about it. There must be some sort of adapter for the 24mm crank to use a BB30 - could the adapter be modified to move the chainline in? Shave some off the drive side adapter and add a shim to the non-drive side?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am running a Oneup 42 conversion with a Race Face front ring on my XT triple converted to single . I used the Rad Cage as I am using an XT Rear deer. The system works very well and shifts almost as good as standard Shimano.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    fruitafrank, don't know about the chainline in your triple crank but as far as i understood, this issue is less "problematic" with triple cranks (cause you put the ring on the center of the crank) - in my double crank (when in my case - xtr985 i have to put it on the outside ring (the big one) the chainline is 52mm - and this is my question... isn't it too high?

sorry for nagging with this mm issue but before i'm investing the money (1up, chainring and replacing my RD to XT ) i want to be sure...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry I didn't answer your question as I was pointing out that the triple does convert well. If I had to buy a triple to convert I would just look at the Race Face cranks/Cinch system, as they are close in price to the XT's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think you're going to have a problem with the XTR chainset, since the chainring mounts on the outside, so shimming it is only going to move it further away.

Maybe you should contact Wolf Tooth and see what they say. Does seem very odd that they would increase the chainline from standard.

I'm about to convert a double XT M785 chainset. Since the big chainring mounts on the inside, I've ordered some shims to move the chainline from the 48.8mm back to 47.5mm, which is the desired chainline.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS