mtbr member
    Jul 2006

142mm rear axle convert to 135 QR?

I just ordered a front fork with a 15mm thru axle for my Nimble 9 so now I'm looking for a wheelset for it. I found a a set of Stan's flows on ebay with a 142 rear thru axle. Can it be converted to 135 mm QR? All this new axle stuff is a bit confusing. Could somebody shed some light on this one?

Thanks

Jon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    I just ordered a front fork with a 15mm thru axle for my Nimble 9 so now I'm looking for a wheelset for it. I found a a set of Stan's flows on ebay with a 142 rear thru axle. Can it be converted to 135 mm QR? All this new axle stuff is a bit confusing. Could somebody shed some light on this one?

Thanks

Jon
    Stan's hubs ? Stan's Hub Parts and Kits

mtbr member
    I would much rather have a 142 through axle than a 135mm. QR. Doesn't the Nimble 9 have Paragon Machineworks sliding dropouts? I'd look into getting a set of those to stiffen up the back and use a through axle. I don't like standard QRs on mountain bikes.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I would much rather have a 142 through axle than a 135mm. QR. Doesn't the Nimble 9 have Paragon Machineworks sliding dropouts? I'd look into getting a set of those to stiffen up the back and use a through axle. I don't like standard QRs on mountain bikes.
    Using QR skewers is still perfectly valid on the rear, especially on a hardtail where it will make little to no difference in stiffness, and still easier to use than any through axle setup.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Using QR skewers is still perfectly valid on the rear, especially on a hardtail where it will make little to no difference in stiffness, and still easier to use than any through axle setup.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. My Paradox has a 10mm. through bolt axle with a Saint hub. I'm a bit skeptical about sliding dropouts as it is. I believe that they would be more secure bolted together with a 12mm. through axle. I've seen a lot of talk about them moving and creaking.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. My Paradox has a 10mm. through bolt axle with a Saint hub. I'm a bit skeptical about sliding dropouts as it is. I believe that they would be more secure bolted together with a 12mm. through axle. I've seen a lot of talk about them moving and creaking.
    +1

I like T/a systems much more.