Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. 120 mm fork for 29er

For my new front trail bike, I'm looking for a fork with 120 mm of travel, tapered steerer, and thru-axle.

I'm considering the following options:

- Fox F32 Float: perhaps the best choice, but expensive;
    - Rock Shox Revelation;
    - Manitou Tower Pro: the cheapest, but i read its through axle uses several bolts, and not sort of quick release like the other two; moreover it's not performing as good as them?

What do you think? Are you using any of them? Should I considering some other model as well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

White Brothers Loop

Best option out here.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Best option out here.
    Well, maybe second best.

Lefty (at 110mm). Best option out there!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    X-Fusion are also bringing out the Trace for this year. Some very nice features, including a one-piece steerer tube/fork crown assembly, meant to boost stiffness by 40%. Adjustable travel from 140mm to 100mm I think. Could be one to wait for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post
    For my new front trail bike, I'm looking for a fork with 120 mm of travel, tapered steerer, and thru-axle.

I'm considering the following options:

- Fox F32 Float: perhaps the best choice, but expensive;
    - Rock Shox Revelation;
    - Manitou Tower Pro: the cheapest, but i read its through axle uses several bolts, and not sort of quick release like the other two; moreover it's not performing as good as them?

What do you think? Are you using any of them? Should I considering some other model as well?
    Personally, I prefer the Manitou Tower over the other two. It performs as well if not better. I'm on my second fork in the series. I have a Minute 29 with a 20mm. through axle which has four pinch bolts to clamp the hex axle. The 2012 Manitou Tower has a QR15 axle and a tapered option. The Manitou QR15 axle has hexagonal ends which make it very rigid when clamped down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120 mm fork for 29er-img_1579.jpg  

120 mm fork for 29er-img_1503.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just bought the Revelation dual position. It's a 140mm that bombs downhill like crazy but then drops to 110mm to carve the tight stuff. I will never go back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fox 34
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

ballbuster

second that....

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Well, maybe second best.

Lefty (at 110mm). Best option out there!
    Get a Lefty Max 140, and with the right tire, you can make it a 120mm. Plus, not jack up your A to C and make the bike handle like a floppy pig. Oh, and still comes in at 3.2 pounds and uses a lighter hub.

steep fast and loose :)
    Love my new float rlc kashima.
    Stable, plush and superb compression damping. No noticeable flex (82kg) ...
    Only issue is flaking paint on the clamp side dropout...

mtbr member
    I'm leaning more and more towards Manitou's Tower Pro.

It's cheap, the new QR15 thru-axle is easy to use and so it's not a concern anymore, and furthermore I only read positive comments by people using it.

I currently have a Minute Expert (for 26ers, even cheapier than the Pro) and I'm very happy with it.

I was curious to try another brand, but after reading some posts and reviews I'll probably stick with Manitou.

I'm with stupid
    Could never get my lefty to feel right, Always had issues with the LSC or lack there of. i just put a 44 micro ti on my nimble 9 and so far that is very nice feeling fork, I was very surprised. Now just to see if it stays together.

mtbr member
    forget the lefties that chimed in and stick with the manitou you'll be a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Love the Float.

mtbr member
    rockshox recon tk gold. just take the bump stop out.

Short-Change-Hero
    Another vote for the Manitou Tower Pro... have the 2011 version 100mm and the thing is like butter. Can't recommend this fork enough and considering I got it at the time for less than $400 to my door, you cant go wrong with pricing like that. Oh and Manitou's customer service is STELLAR! Check out TrailMakers thread about how he has been working with the head engineer to make it better for a true CLYDE.

Here is one on Ebay for $456 to your door (Manitou Tower Pro 29 Suspension Fork 120mm White20mm | eBay)
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    I'll buy it from my new bike's frame maker gas29--it's the stock fork on their bikes. You've convinced me, I think it'll be a good choice.

Pity that Manitou is not that frequently adopted as an OEM, at least here in Europe.

Short-Change-Hero
    Cant think of any brands that Manitou comes OEM on off hand.
    Mine just for reference....

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Best option out here.
    My LBS has a Jamis Dragon 650b on his floor. It has a White Bros Loop. Just putting around in his store, the fork felt like garbage. TONS of stiction. So much so that I could feel it every time the fork moved. I'm 220lbs. I'm thinking it shouldn't do that. The Reba on my DiSSent and the Fox on my Niner don't have any noticeable stiction and didn't when new. There's no way in hell I'd buy a White Bros after trying that one.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    For 2012 I have read some other positive reviews on Manitou recently increasing their quality of forks to get back in the game?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Revelation

My 2012 rumblefish came with a stock 120mm Revelation RL.
    I like it very much, so far it handled everything very well.

Mo.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    they are all fine, just get whichever. forks are commodities more or less now - all work well, truly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer111 View Post
    For 2012 I have read some other positive reviews on Manitou recently increasing their quality of forks to get back in the game?
    There have been a couple of years or more that manitou got back in the game. Tower pro is an excellent product ,and not only for the money it asks for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer111 View Post
    They've got back in the game since at least a couple of years I think. Since 2012 Tower Pro comes with a tapered headtube and QR15, that is a further improvement from older versions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not tapered, but i love my 120mm Reba Rlt Ti 20mm maxle!

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    I'd wager that you were set on the threshold setting, and not aware of that. The threshold is a platform that can be set to release at the level you prefer. Feels 'sticky', but breaks through that freely when you exceed a certain magnitude of bump or rider induced pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    My LBS has a Jamis Dragon 650b on his floor. It has a White Bros Loop. Just putting around in his store, the fork felt like garbage. TONS of stiction. So much so that I could feel it every time the fork moved. I'm 220lbs. I'm thinking it shouldn't do that. The Reba on my DiSSent and the Fox on my Niner don't have any noticeable stiction and didn't when new. There's no way in hell I'd buy a White Bros after trying that one.
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast