mtbr member
    Feb 2012

'11 Trek SuperFly, 1x Paul or MRP Chain Guide?

I'm converting my 2011 Trek Superfly to a 1x10 drivetrain. It has a direct mount front derailleur. I want to run a 32 tooth ring, and the e.thirteen only can support a 34. That leaves the Paul and MRP. I'm leaning toward the Paul, because I've always liked Paul products, but any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Paul came today. Way to short, won't even reach the large chainring. I've email Paul, but not heard anything yet. Unless they have a longer bracket, I guess I'll be ordering the MRP.

mtbr member
    FWIW I'm running an e13 direct mounted guide with a 30t MRP Blingring. It comes with shims to bring it outboard if needed. Works fine for me- YMMV.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm a happy fan of the MRP. I may have dropped my chain once and I used it all of last season and I believe it got dropped when I stopped and laid my bike over. I have no idea what happened. It works great and I cannot complain.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I tried the Paul's on my Niner Sir9 and never liked it. Had the E13 direct mount on my Superfly last year with no problems and now have the MRP1x on my Niner Jet9 RDO with zero issues. I went with the MRP because it blends better with the swoopy lines of the RDO frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, talked to Paul, they said yea our bad on the specs typo. e.thirteen said the d-type only will work with a 33tooth chainring, maybe a 32 based on crank selection. So I just need to find a good price on a MRP.

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    Get a pair of BBG bashguards and make a bashwich.
    bulletproof - no adjustments, and no problems.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by willworkforbeer View Post
    Get a pair of BBG bashguards and make a bashwich.
    bulletproof - no adjustments, and no problems.
    Hi. Got any pics of the BBG bashwich on a 29er hardtail? I fear that there's a problem of the inner bashguard not clearing the chainstay, even on a 29er HT with 17.5" chainstays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just order a pair of BBG guards, but won't be able to use the inner. Chainstay has no clearance. I think I might just go with the outer bashguard and maybe try add a Bionicon chain guide.

This has been a pain in the butt. Paul guide doesn't fit, e.thirteen will only do 33 tooth chainring and cost $100, not loving the MRP, now the bashguard system won't fit either.

Trail Ninja
    Beware that Bionicon C Guides are kind of fragile. The metallic hinged/swinging part that clamps the chain shuttle can come apart and the shuttle goes with it, leaving you with just a few zip ties and a plastic tube on your chainstay, and a $50 Easter Egg on the trails somewhere. Happened to me just today, and spent hours riding around looking for it. Even had some others on the hunt for a tiny blue anodized chain guide thingee...

If you already bought one, put a drop of loctite on the screw the holds the metal hinge part together, and maybe wrap it in some tape for extra security.

If all else fails, and you wanna throw money at the problem, you can get a XX1 crankset and hope the long teeth and X-Sync shaped teeth let you go without a chain guide. Maybe get a clutch derailleur to pair with it. Just going off hearsay, but lots of raving and hype around XX1 being one of the greatest new innovation these days.

SRAM XX1 GXP 170mm Q168 32T $240

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The idea was quick easy switch, WRONG! I wanted the black MPR, but can't find that either. I guess I'll order the white one and hope it works. I would love the XX1 setup, but didn't want the cost.

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    see pic, I have about .040" clearance to the frame. I put a chamfer on the inner edge to help out a little also.
    The key to making a bashwich work is to get the guides as close as you can to the chain without causing interference in the outer rings. The outer bash, as mounted, works great and clears fine.
    When the inner is mounted on a typical 3 ring crank, it is a little too far from the chain to be totally effective. I have found that if you remove .060 to .090 from the mounting surface of the crank it not only clears the frame, but gives you the chain retention you want.
    The outer guard is the standard thickness (1/8") guard, the inner is the .060" superlight, since it is not really being used as a bashguard, just a chain retainer.
    I originally tried a modified Paul with the outer BBG only because I was not sure I could fit a bashwich on this frame. The Paul was not for me; hard to adjust and consistently jammed the chain between the keeper and chain ring. It now resides in the scrap bin.
    I probably could have milled a little more off the crank to get the inner ring tighter to the chain, but it is working fine now and I don't feel like fooling with it.
    BTW, this is a 2012 Moto Fantom Ti frame.
    Definitely not room for a 34 tooth ring and bashwich.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Trek SuperFly, 1x Paul or MRP Chain Guide?-dscn1521.jpg  

Last edited by willworkforbeer; 01-28-2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: info added
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --