mtbr member
    May 2004

10mm Rear Standard QR axle okay on trail 29er?

Nobody seemed to answer my question on the Turner forum yet
    not to say they won't, but the bike I am looking at had a little over 1 day left on ebay and need to know.
    Okay, for a trailbike 29er - Turner Sultan
    the 2011 runs a 10mm Standard rear QR - and I am wondering if that wiill be sufficient to hold the rear wheel firm and solid without any micro-movement given the big wheels?

The new Turners and most new bikes now espeically 29ers coming with the new 12 dia x 142 length rear thru axle

It's a really nice clean bike for a good price (for a Turner), but the rear QR kinda bugs me
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Running all of my bikes QR front and rear.
    The new standards are all marketing hype IMO.
    Never had a wheel move except when I stupidly ran a titanium front skewer which came loose.
    Now use steel skewers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I wouldn't worry about it. I believe there are those that can tell the difference in stiffness, but personally I've never felt that my Superlight 29 (and more recently, Butcher) needed more stiffness than the 10mm axle+QR.

Moreover, I don't think Turner would've ever released the bike with a QR skewer if it performed poorly. It's Turner, after all. Newer ones have it, I believe, because it is becoming more common and is an incremental improvement. Not because QR skewers are incompetent.

IMO, the only reason to skip it would be psychological--if you're worried about it now, you might worry after your purchase, even if performs to your liking. At least, I know I do this sometimes.

mtbr member
    Niner just released the new version of the Jet 9 RDO with rear thru axle. They straight up said that it made next to no difference in rear-end stiffness, but that they thought they should change it to make their frame compatible with more new, high-end wheelsets. I wouldn't worry about it, every 29er in the world as QR 'till recently.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    Nobody seemed to answer my question on the Turner forum yet
    not to say they won't, but the bike I am looking at had a little over 1 day left on ebay and need to know.
    Okay, for a trailbike 29er - Turner Sultan
    the 2011 runs a 10mm Standard rear QR - and I am wondering if that wiill be sufficient to hold the rear wheel firm and solid without any micro-movement given the big wheels?

The new Turners and most new bikes now espeically 29ers coming with the new 12 dia x 142 length rear thru axle

It's a really nice clean bike for a good price (for a Turner), but the rear QR kinda bugs me

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks a lot for the info and advice cool peeps - I really appreciate it!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Bite Me.
    If your rear hub will accept it, you can swap the QR for a DT Swiss 10mm thru bolt. I had some issues with my QR rear wheel getting knocked out of alignment after some rough and fast descents. I swapped out the end caps on my Stan's ZTR hubs and used the thru bolt. I have had no problems since. The swap is easy and pretty cheap if you have a hub that will adapt the end caps. ( I9, ZTRs, Hopes, Hadley's). I won't say it feels stiffer riding, but it does keep the wheel in place better.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Niner just released the new version of the Jet 9 RDO with rear thru axle. They straight up said that it made next to no difference in rear-end stiffness, but that they thought they should change it to make their frame compatible with more new, high-end wheelsets. I wouldn't worry about it, every 29er in the world as QR 'till recently.
    That was on there Jet9 RDO & they were not talking about any other bike.

On other bikes it will not always be the case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    If your rear hub will accept it, you can swap the QR for a DT Swiss 10mm thru bolt. I had some issues with my QR rear wheel getting knocked out of alignment after some rough and fast descents. I swapped out the end caps on my Stan's ZTR hubs and used the thru bolt. I have had no problems since. The swap is easy and pretty cheap if you have a hub that will adapt the end caps. ( I9, ZTRs, Hopes, Hadley's). I won't say it feels stiffer riding, but it does keep the wheel in place better.
    These are a good option-I think they do make a slight but noticable difference over a standard setup. That said I agree with the others-I wouldn't worry about running a standard QR, especially if the bike is being sold for a good price.

MTB B'dos
    As said, slotted 10mm dropouts are plenty stiff, just use something like the DT RSW 10mm axle or through bolt or use a bolt on hub like the Pro2 SS/Trials hub.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

No difference

I have compared this head to head (ie, built 2 identical rear ends for a long-travel 29er with different dropout setups) and I could not tell the difference.

Note that I *can* notice a front through axle and really like it. So I'm not just a retro-grouch who hates through axles.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Im currently running 10mm bolt ons with no issues on my niner wfo 9 i always wanted to to go maxle but did not due to the maxle lites breaking with hope pro2 hubs which i run...
    That's not a problem anymore so now Im contemplating the 142x12 now for the ease and no tools...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I went back from 12mm Maxle on my Rip9 to 10mm open drop out with 10mm RWS skewer so I could swap my wheels between my Rip9 & Jet9 easy.

I didn't notice the change.

Looking forward to running the 142x12 on my Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO just because it's a nicer system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have Maxle on the Stumpy and QR on the Ventana. I don't notice a difference and I like to think I work them pretty hard.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale