Gigantic Hawk

10mm? Carbon fork question

Has anybody ridden both the Niner and the Whiskey carbon forks? I'm curious if the 10mm a-c height really makes a difference. I have a Niner fork now, but will be switching to a tapered steerer on my new frame. My new frame works better with a higher a-c, but does 10mm really make that much of a difference? I know that the Niner fork is bomb proof and lighter than the Whiskey fork hence my hesitation to just pick up a Whiskey fork. Are there any other carbon forks worth looking at that are taller than 470mm?

mtbr member
    Sorry dub...only ridden the Niner, but curious what your new frame will be?

SPP
    Rigid.

Gigantic Hawk
    I have a gen 2 Canfield Nimble 9 on its way. My gen 1 frame broke.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Has anybody ridden both the Niner and the Whiskey carbon forks? I'm curious if the 10mm a-c height really makes a difference. I have a Niner fork now, but will be switching to a tapered steerer on my new frame. My new frame works better with a higher a-c, but does 10mm really make that much of a difference? I know that the Niner fork is bomb proof and lighter than the Whiskey fork hence my hesitation to just pick up a Whiskey fork. Are there any other carbon forks worth looking at that are taller than 470mm?
    Not saying you won't feel it but I would think 10mm is within the same ball park so long as the rake is the same.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    Not saying you won't feel it but I would think 10mm is within the same ball park so long as the rake is the same.
    On a MTB, I think 10mm is pretty close. Tire size and pressure can make that much difference. I don't want to say it's insignificant, but if that's the fork you want I'd go with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a Niner fork on a Superfly and liked it a lot for weight and comfort. When it was time to build a new bike with a tapered headtube, I went with the Whisky No 9 to get the tire clearance and thru axle. Speaking subjectively, the Whisky is a bigger, slightly heavier fork than the Niner, but feels much more solid to me. I liked the Niner's fore and aft flex, because it reminded me of steel forks, but you probably give up some steering precision. The Niner felt more like a carbon cross fork and the Whisky feels more like a Fox or something like that.

I don't think you'll notice 10mm. Like the previous poster said, your tires can cause that much variation.

If you have the Niner and don't mind not running tapered, use it, it's great. If you want to run tapered (it makes a difference in stiffness), you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with the Niner RDO or the Whisky No 9, I'd choose based on price, aesthetics and your desired a-c.

For reference, I using the No 9 on a Krampus single speed and weigh 210 pounds.

Gigantic Hawk
    Thanks for all the input. My current Niner fork has been great which is leading me towards a tapered version for my new frame. As I suspected, I really didn't think that 10mm would really equate to much. I need to order it this week so I'll let you all know what I choose when I do.