mtbr member
    Oct 2009

10 speed front derailleur question

I have a Salsa Spearfish (ultimate bike!) and I am running a 2x10 with XT parts. The front derailleur and shifter are XT 9spd, and the shifter is the one that has 2 settings (2&3 chainring). I am running an FSA crank 42/29. I recently converted to 10 speed by buying the chain, shifter, rear derailleur and cluster. What use to be an awesome front shifting 2x9 has now turned into a POS 2x10. So bad in fact I am considering a 1x10. other than the thin chain I can't figure out what is making this thing shift like crap. If I run the cassette on the low cog numbers I can get it to shift in the front, otherwise I just get a lot of rubbing and no shift. I am using the Shimano 10speed chain, but on the 9 speed I used the SRAM chain, I am pretty experienced at adjustment, so I don't think that is the problem. Is there any solution?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My hollowtech was not shifting. There was some play that I got rid of by loosening the pinch bolts on the NDS arm and tapping the DS over and retightening. Now the x10 KMC chain shifts fine on my nine speed triple. Otherwise.it has to be the Hi/Lo screw adjustment or a stripped shifter. If shifting takes too much effort put in a new cable and check the ferrel end openings with a small round file.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    My hollowtech was not shifting. There was some play that I got rid of by loosening the pinch bolts on the NDS arm and tapping the DS over and retightening. Now the x10 KMC chain shifts fine on my nine speed triple. Otherwise.it has to be the Hi/Lo screw adjustment or a stripped shifter. If shifting takes too much effort put in a new cable and check the ferrel end openings with a small round file.
    everything is new brother, and its not an adjustment problem, it all worked fine with the 9 speed SRAM chain, that is the only difference the front derailleur sees. Its either a chain compatability issue with the FSA chainrings or a shifter/front derailleur problem. Is there a functional difference between a 10 speed shimano front derailleur and a 9 speed version? same question for the shifter, it seems if it pushed the chain a little more it might get on easier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm running 3x9 SLX shifter and Hollowtech crankset.. I have a SLX 9 speed front derailleur, the long one. I switched from a 991 Sram chain to a KMC X10(x bridge outer plates) a couple weeks ago. At that time I pulled the crank arm, popped the BB bearing cover and seal and cleaned and regreased the bearings. I wasn't getting good front shifting a week ago. I started to check the adjustment and discovered the looseness in the crank. It didn't show when I rotated it by hand. A rubber mallet whack showed it.
    I also had bent 32 gear teeth that I tapped back in plane. The chain had been moving side to side a little inside the derailleur cage as I rotated the crank by hand. I adjusted the high and low limits and used the barrel for the center No problems now. If your limits are set correct tap the crank with a mallet to see if there is any slop. That's the main problem I had.

I have a XT M770-10 front derailleur I was getting ready to throw on if I couldn't get it figured. I don't need it now.

Last edited by eb1888; 11-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    is the 10 speed stuff Dyna Sys? I thought there were cable pull differences with the shimano 10 speed mtb stuff? something like 9 speed pulls on a 2:1 ratio but 10 speed dynasys pulls 1.6:1? That is where I would start especially since FD's are so inexpensive. Perhaps your 10 speed dynashifter isn't pulling enough cable on the older 9spd FD. In the shimano road world almost all of this stuff plays nice together but I believe there are some significant difference with the MTB stuff though don't hold me to that, I'm new to the MTB game.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    the front shifter and derailleur are 9 speed. is it possible that the spacing for the chainrings is too wide?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    the front shifter and derailleur are 9 speed. is it possible that the spacing for the chainrings is too wide?
    ahhh, gotcha. it's possible its a spacing issue or it's possible the chain rings themselves are just too wide for the narrower chain I suppose. Do you have the model number/specs on your crank?

human dehumidifier
    Possible that there's enough difference in the derailleur cage width between 9 and 10s to make it hard to shift now too.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They are the FSA K-Force Light carbon 2x 42/29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The width of the gear teeth is the same and the width of the chain rollers is the same between 9 and 10. The chain side plates are thinner for 10 and the distance between the gears could be less between 9 and 10, but it would be only the difference in width of one side plate. That is not much. You can set the limit for the small chain ring so the derailleur just clears the chain with its inside edge when in the largest rear cog. Then remove all cable slack. Now set the large chain ring limit so you can run the smaller cogs only without chain rub.
    If this doesn't work you can bend the derailleur cage inward with a vise or on bike with a lockjaw pliers.
    Alternatively you can set your shifter to handle a triple and set the "third ring" limit so you chain barely stays on but allows you to overshift past the "second" ring for more push.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks ebb, all good suggestions, I have thought about crushing the front derailleur a little and have thought about setting the shifter to 3 speed. I guess I need to play with it a little

Happy Trails
    I don't think you can use 9speed shifters with 10 speed front crank. I'm pretty sure the spacing between front (and rear) chain rings is different. You need new shifters to switch from 2X9 or 3X 9 to 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I don't think you can use 9speed shifters with 10 speed front crank. I'm pretty sure the spacing between front (and rear) chain rings is different. You need new shifters to switch from 2X9 or 3X 9 to 10 speed.
    The OP has a nine speed crank to go with his nine speed shifter and derailleur on the front. He has a ten speed chain and ten speed rear derailleur, cassette and shifter. The problem is only with the front.

I'm using a nine speed shifter, crankset(3x9) and derailleur all SLX on the front with a 10 speed KMC chain without any problems.