mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. *Help* RH Crank Required

First of all i'm totally new to the world of mountain biking so be gentle.

I'm in need of some assistance in buying the correct RH crank for Specialized Carve Comp 29er 2012. I've checked the specs online but it doesn't give me a part number as such. The only detail i have is 'Shimano Alivio 9-Speed 44-32-22T'.

When i set the bike up i must have been an absolute school boy and cross threaded the RH Pedal and it has totally buggered the threads so much so that the pedal doesn't even screw in at all I'm more than happy to fit the part myself if anyone can point me in the right direction to get the exact replacement.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How far did you cross-thread it before stopping? If only the first 1 or 2 are damaged you may be able to run a tap through to clean them out. See if you can thread the pedal in from the backside of the crank and use a fresh pedal to do it. You may have damaged the pedal threads too and you may be able to clean them up with a file or die.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Specs say it has an Octalink BB.
    Shimano Alivio MTB Crankset 22/32/44 175 Octalink B - Bikewagon
    Shimano FC-M430 Kurbel Octalink schwarz 175mm
    You will likely have to buy a complete crank unless your LBS has a take off.
    I'd be tempted to put a Deore or SLX crank on.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

I've totally buggered the threads so it'll deffo be a replacement needed. I've managed to find this Shimano Alivio FCM430 9 speed MTB MTN Bike Crank Chainset 44T 175 BLACK Octalink | eBay

Not as expensive as i first thought. Is replacing a crank fairly straight forward?

Thanks again for your responses.

mtbr member
    Straightforward if you have the right tool for the job. Everything is explained here .

Though if you cross threaded a pedal it might be better to let an LBS do it. Getting torque correct when tightening and not mashing splines is pretty important

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like it has an integrated puller so all you should need is a 8mm allen wrench. Since you are out of service anyways, try removing the crank arm while you wait for the new parts.

mtbr member
    It is more difficult then installing a pedal. Are you up for it?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Specs say it has an Octalink BB.
    Shimano Alivio MTB Crankset 22/32/44 175 Octalink B - Bikewagon
    Shimano FC-M430 Kurbel Octalink schwarz 175mm
    You will likely have to buy a complete crank unless your LBS has a take off.
    I'd be tempted to put a Deore or SLX crank on.
    Or find a set of M752 XT cranks. THey are from about 2002-2003 or so. The main thing you are looking for is the Octalink2 splines, not to be confused with Octalink1, which is what XTR cranks back then used. They are very close, but Octalink2 have deeper splines than Octalink1, and they are not compatible with each other. To make things more confusing, the LX cranks of the era also used Octalink2, but they have a slightly wacky chainline. They used a bottom bracket that was slightly wider, so that will mess up your chainline.

Heck, the hollowtech cranks are cheap enough these days, you might just save yourself some headache by upgrading. Hollowtech cranks have a slightly wider chainline, tho... that may lead to front derailleur alignment issues, but you can usually just adjust the stops and cable to fix this.