Thread: $350 wheelset

the half breed devil

$350 wheelset

disclaimer: i've searched MTBR for this and most results have been irrelevant.

after well over 4000 miles, the wheels on my steel hardtail have about had it. the bike came stock with alex rims laced to deore hubs but can no longer be tensioned properly--i break a spoke every two weeks. in addition, the deore hubs are loose bearing and i know for sure that the front bearing races are just about shot. i haven't had it opened and inspected but the rear hub is not feeling very smooth by any stretch of the imagination.

my budget for a wheelset will be no more than $400 and preferably closer to $350. at this time, i am not looking to go tubeless but i've seen wheelsets that can be switched over to tubeless later if one so chooses. i ride 50-80 miles a week on mostly fire roads and singletrack and do not race. i weigh 180 pounds.

i do not have the tools, time or inclination to build my own wheels so this is not an option.

this wheelset was recommended to me by a friend but the comments i found about them here on MTBR indicated that they're heavy:

Mavic Crossride Disc 29er Wheelset at REI.com

on the other hand, i think that almost anything i find aftermarket will be at least slightly lighter and more durable and perhaps have better bearings.

i've seen used wheelsets on ebay but what are the pros and cons of purchasing a used wheelset?

there's many more questions i will think of that i'll post later but thanks for your help in advance.

mtbr member
    Check out the Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp or Charger Comp (different rim widths)

Can be had at nashbar for $300 shipped

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Pricepoint has the CrossRide wheelset for $239.
    The new CrossOne's are $349.

the half breed devil
    will the hubs on these wheelsets run ten speed?

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Check out the Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp or Charger Comp (different rim widths)

Can be had at nashbar for $300 shipped
    x2, these are the same bead hook as stans. The charger=a flow, and BF= a arch. and yes they are good for 9 or 10 speed. Nashbar's prices fluctuate a lot. This wheelset was 169, a week or so ago. You might luck out a get a 20% coupon. The bearing are sealed, and the hubs are convertable to different standards.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    x2, these are the same bead hook as stans. The charger=a flow, and BF= a arch. and yes they are good for 9 or 10 speed. Nashbar's prices fluctuate a lot. This wheelset was 169, a week or so ago. You might luck out a get a 20% coupon. The bearing are sealed, and the hubs are convertable to different standards.
    Charger Comp's are $210 at Nashbar now. (+$25 shipping)

Here are some Crossrides for $209 shipped.
    I would go with the Chargers personally.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

$350 wheelset

In the next month or so wiggle will most likely put their Hope/Stan's combos on sale for about 350. Hard to beat for UK made hubs that convert to anything and everything in seconds.

squish, squish in da fish
    ^yeah that +1

~$250 for p35's/xt hubs on fleabay

on a side note, i can't wait to ride these duallys i laced last night to some evo's.