Thread: ZTR RACE 29er

mtbr member

ZTR RACE 29er

dear friends ,
    one questions ,for you there is a Ztr race in 29er version? or the rims of the ztr are :
    355; arch and flow

if so, where can I find on the net?

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the race rims are race rims and from my understanding are only available as a complete wheelset. I do believe you can have them built with stans hubs or AC hubs but I think thats it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp
    the race rims are race rims and from my understanding are only available as a complete wheelset. I do believe you can have them built with stans hubs or AC hubs but I think thats it.

I knew the 26er, but now even the 29er? are 6000 or 7000 (as the set of 26er)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

mtbr member
    I have a set of ZTR race 29er rims built up to DT Swiss 240's...and they are NON disc hubs =0)...Rim Brakes !
    I have about 600 race miles on them and they are still fine !
    Races are:
    www.lumberjack100.com
    www.oretoshore.com
    www.tailwinds.net (USAC series) http://www.tailwind.net/cgi-bin/racedesc.pl?norb_2009 (5 of the 6) next 3 weekends as well
    http://www.kisscross.com/Barry-Roubaix/

they are great light and have been trued 1 time.
    --enjoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It is kind of a Stans scam. They only sell their Race rims as part of expensive complete wheelsets so they can make extra profit.
    2 wheels

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Bells Brewery MTB
    I have a set of ZTR race 29er rims built up to DT Swiss 240's...and they are NON disc hubs =0)...Rim Brakes !
    I have about 600 race miles on them and they are still fine !
    Races are:
    www.lumberjack100.com
    www.oretoshore.com
    www.tailwinds.net (USAC series) http://www.tailwind.net/cgi-bin/racedesc.pl?norb_2009 (5 of the 6) next 3 weekends as well
    http://www.kisscross.com/Barry-Roubaix/

they are great light and have been trued 1 time.
    --enjoy
    Where did you get just the rims?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke

I believe per Mike B. at notubes the hub choices are DT Swiss 240's, American Classic's and their own ZTR's.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    I don't think 450.00 for a complete set of wheels is expensive. I paid 800.00 (not including labor to build) for my arch rim with king hubs and Dt swiss spokes about 6 months ago. You can choose from several hubs on the site and make them more expesive, but you tell me where you can buy a good set of wheels for 450.00 that come close to these in weight and quality.

Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blooper
    I don't think 450.00 for a complete set of wheels is expensive. I paid 800.00 (not including labor to build) for my arch rim with king hubs and Dt swiss spokes about 6 months ago. You can choose from several hubs on the site and make them more expesive, but you tell me where you can buy a good set of wheels for 450.00 that come close to these in weight and quality.

Brian

I couldn't agree more that $450 is a fully reasonable price to pay for a great set of wheels and that I think Stan's Flow, Arch and 355 rims are the basis for a great wheels. They've pioneered the tubeless concept and really helped bring a functional mtb improvement to the masses. Their rims happen to be among the most expensive alloy rims on the market at around $90 but I think they are worth it and have no problem with that pricing.

Regarding value however, you could find good/great Hope Pro II hub Mavic rim wheelsets for $300 from chainreaction cycles earlier this summer. That was value, for 26" wheels riders.

Presonally my problem probably stems from the fact that there are many people who don't mind paying big money for prebuilt wheels that may not be equal to the sum of their parts. Stans has recognized and taken advantage of this market trend. Their ZTR Race wheels use different, lighter 'Race' series rims from the above wheels that aren't available separately or from anyone else and are ONLY available in $950 prebuilt wheelsets that are built around American Classic hubs. This price represents a $350 increase over the same AC hubs with their standard 355 rims and you don't even have the option of less expensive hubs. If the rims were carbon I suppose I would have to think they were a bargain but they are just a different extrusion and maybe a different alloy.

They are making bank on those wheelsets, I want a set for my cross bike but won't pay $950 in this lifetime.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel

They are making bank on those wheelsets, I want a set for my cross bike but won't pay $950 in this lifetime.

I understand where you are coming from, but compare them to any other wheelset that weighs the same. I dont think they are taking advantage of anything or anyone.

People have a choice to pay or not to pay. While I have a set of 355's on XTR hubs, I have never been a fan of stan's stuff, but with that said. More power to him. He started a business and is making a go at it. I think he is going to be in trouble as the big hitters are starting to catch up. You can only go so light before you have no material left.

mtbr member
    No tubes built them for me ! =)
    So I did not just recieve the rims, sorry for any confusion

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Why would you be using them for cross in the first place?

You can get a set of deep dish carbon wheels and a nice set of CX tubulars for the same price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Why would you be using them for cross in the first place?

You can get a set of deep dish carbon wheels and a nice set of CX tubulars for the same price.

I happen to have a set of light carbon tubies I got cheap (relative term) but I'd also like to have a tubeless option. Stan's rims have been trouble free tubeless for me.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    I got my Stan's Race Day 29er wheels here...

http://www.918xc.com/index.php?p=home

Use them for race only. They have held up great. Light, durable, and under a grand. Stan's making bank or not I drop over a pound off my bike when I put these wheels on.
    ...---...