mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Zee Crank Double Conversion For Krampus

With the help of a machinist who specialized in bike stuff, I did this very warranty-nullifying conversion from the Zee single ring crank, to a quite functional double.

A few notes:
    1. The shifting isnt perfect. Its good. Sometimes I need to give the chain an extra few milliseconds to "drop" as the shifted chain reaches the bottom of the stroke.... before I pedal hard. If not I can end up with an annoying sort of chain suck. Overall I find it very reliable and I'm happy with it.

2. I had an extra incentive to do this because the shop where I bought this gave me the small ring, lightly used, for free. And the machinist put on the 32 ring as part of his reasonable price.

3. Surly has a PDF on their site showing exact chainlines recommended for their OD crank on a 73 mm bb. This Zee conversion matches those very closely.

4. I'm going to clean the bike soon.

Pictures to follow....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here's the pics with some notes:

Zee Crank Double Conversion For Krampus-krampus-zee-02.jpg
    Zee Crank Double Conversion For Krampus-krampus-zee-01.jpg
    Last edited by drummerdavid; 08-17-2013 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nice hack, probably a little beyond the tools I have on hand currently, I'm still thinking of getting an OD to get another ring on..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Because of you i'm going to do this exact same hack to my zee crankset. Mostly because i can't justify to the wife getting another slx crankset and i like to customize things. I'm going one step further though. I also purchased a 20t small ring to really get some insane gearing for technical climbs. I'll post pictures when all my stuff arrives and is put together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaxu View Post
    Because of you i'm going to do this exact same hack to my zee crankset. Mostly because i can't justify to the wife getting another slx crankset and i like to customize things. I'm going one step further though. I also purchased a 20t small ring to really get some insane gearing for technical climbs. I'll post pictures when all my stuff arrives and is put together.
    Because of me????

Uh oh.

No, actually I'm happy with it. Not perfect. But better than spending extra$$, for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i totally agree about the xtra money. And I was looking a bit closer to my deore triple crankset and it looks like its going to turn out well for the zee crankset. An interesting point the 20t inner ring requires a bit of massaging of the posts, but with the zee cranks pads being so short and using spacers i shouldn't have to rework the posts for the inner ring mount other than tapping them out. I intend to do a full writeup of the fab/ install on your thread that way others might get inspiration as well. Thanks again for pioneering and showing that this kind of modifications are possible. Now if my parts would get here already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was really unhappy that the Surly factory build did not offer at least a good option for a double conversion without buying half a new drivetrain.

Other than that, the Krampus is the greatest bike ever, IMO. An amazing all-around mtb.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    I was really unhappy that the Surly factory build did not offer at least a good option for a double conversion without buying half a new drivetrain.
    Isn't a double conversion half a new drivetrain anyway so you can't avoid having to get it due to that?

I found a set of OD cranks and an SLX front derailleur a very nice option, though not as cheap of course..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Isn't a double conversion half a new drivetrain anyway so you can't avoid having to get it due to that?

I found a set of OD cranks and an SLX front derailleur a very nice option, though not as cheap of course..
    Why not spec a crank that just needs an extra chaining and a bb spacer..... rather than a whole new crankset?

Pedaling Nowhere
    I was thinking about trying to get a 54mm chain line for Rohloff and was wondering if I could just switch out the chainring to the outer position on the Zee?
    -------------------------------------------------
    pedalingnowhere.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Nowhere View Post
    I was thinking about trying to get a 54mm chain line for Rohloff and was wondering if I could just switch out the chainring to the outer position on the Zee?
    The normal one-chainring position for the Zee IS the outer, right?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavid View Post
    The normal one-chainring position for the Zee IS the outer, right?
    The stock Zee on a Krampus looks like this:

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Oh. Its been so long I must have forgot.

Well, my Surly chainring works fine on the outside position.

Pedaling Nowhere
    I moved the ring to the outer position, but haven't installed it yet... It seems like it will work, but I'll probably get a few grease prints on my right calf.
    -------------------------------------------------
    pedalingnowhere.com