Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Front Range Cyclist

Ze Midge is back in the USA!

Sure you could still buy them from overseas, but recently was sent by a "USA Rep" of On-One a Midge to try out. Was asked if I had tried a Midge, said haven't been able to buy one in 3 years from a local shop so I just went with the Origin 8 and spun around on the WTB. Well....I just got it installed. Here it is.

No word on when it's available officially....but seem to understand this January now that On-One/Planet X own Titus. Anyway more later on some of the install tips I followed that are unique...one addresses the short grip area rather well. Will take a pic, explain what I like, and such after I get some pedaling in. For now...enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ze Midge is back in the USA!-67140_477445174189_48387909189_5554313_1718359_n.jpg  

Ze Midge is back in the USA!-162992_477443609189_48387909189_5554246_4381965_n.jpg  

In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    If you like those, you should check out the Salsa Woodchipper's, I dig them way more than the O8's. Haven't tried the Midge or WTB's

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Sure you could still buy them from overseas, but recently was sent by a "USA Rep" of On-One a Midge to try out. Was asked if I had tried a Midge, said haven't been able to buy one in 3 years from a local shop so I just went with the Origin 8 and spun around on the WTB. Well....I just got it installed. Here it is.

No word on when it's available officially....but seem to understand this January now that On-One/Planet X own Titus. Anyway more later on some of the install tips I followed that are unique...one addresses the short grip area rather well. Will take a pic, explain what I like, and such after I get some pedaling in. For now...enjoy
    Well, not quite yet, juan, and not as soon as January. Maybe within a year.

This pair came out of my personal stash.

Looking at making some changes, most of all lengthening the ends of the drops.

Be sure to take pics of the end plugs I sent you and how you install them. I have been setting up the bars that way for years. Just never took pics to show how.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

Be sure to take pics of the end plugs I sent you and how you install them. I have been setting up the bars that way for years. Just never took pics to show how.
    Shiggy, lengthening the ends would be nice, but don't change any angel.
    What I don't like about the Woodchipper is the slope on end of the drops. With the Midge this section is more parallel to the ground, which I like better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So should I sell the two that I have now? Get them out there while demand is high and supply is nothing...

Harmonius Wrench
    Lengthening the extensions a bit would be a stellar idea! I really liked the Midge Bar, and I still use it, but that has always been a complaint I have had against the bar.

As for the Woodchipper, I think it suits a more traditional feel to STI levers than does the Midge, but I would get another Midge in a minute if it had a longer extension from the get go.

Good news. Thanks Shiggy!

Just Ride!
    I tried the Woodchipper bar because of the more vertical position of the hood placement but can't get over how the drops are flared way too much from the almost vertical position of the hooks. Now I' back using the Midge bars for offroad and the Woody went to my commuter.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    If you like those, you should check out the Salsa Woodchipper's, I dig them way more than the O8's. Haven't tried the Midge or WTB's
    I haven't spent a ton of time on Woodchippers, but I have spun around on them. Little wide for my tastes and not as aggressive as the Origin 8's. The Origin 8's spent a year or so on my fixed geared Ritchey Breakaway travel bike....I really liked the hooks on them.

The Midge is new....but I can tell from a quick spin I like the wide flats and slightly less cant'ed brake levers. I think it'll at least be loved as much as the Origin 8's. Time will tell.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Lengthening the extensions a bit would be a stellar idea! I really liked the Midge Bar, and I still use it, but that has always been a complaint I have had against the bar.

As for the Woodchipper, I think it suits a more traditional feel to STI levers than does the Midge, but I would get another Midge in a minute if it had a longer extension from the get go.

Good news. Thanks Shiggy!

GT-Shiggy included a neat little secret extender kit....aka a set of chair plugs. Put 'em on and they do extend out the right amount. Will post a pic soon. But it does help.

Front Range Cyclist

Here is a quick pic and measured it for comparison for those who are currently using Midge's to measure it up too.

Started the tape right at the ends of the plugs you included (what's the technical term for them?) and laid one stretch of cork/gel tape along the top of the flat up into the middle of the brake lever. Feels great. Anyway, hope this helps some peeps figure it out. I think that little bit of extra is nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ze Midge is back in the USA!-154681_469940305806_647640806_6273775_3943720_n.jpg  

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    GT-Shiggy included a neat little secret extender kit....aka a set of chair plugs. Put 'em on and they do extend out the right amount. Will post a pic soon. But it does help.
    Yep, I knew about the chair plug bit from previous Midge postings here years ago. Bar end shifters do the same.

I didn't/don't want "band aids" and I would submit that a Midge bar with that extended length as part of the bar would ride better outta the box. (Besides, I'd still stick something on the ends anyway to make them even longer.)

I would make them almost too long for most folks since you can always cut them down. Hard to add length to a handle bar and have it all be one piece.

Yep, I knew about the chair plug bit from previous Midge postings here years ago. Bar end shifters do the same.

I didn't/don't want "band aids" and I would submit that a Midge bar with that extended length as part of the bar would ride better outta the box. (Besides, I'd still stick something on the ends anyway to make them even longer.)

I would make them almost too long for most folks since you can always cut them down. Hard to add length to a handle bar and have it all be one piece.
    My original reason for using the chair tips was to have a bumper in case the bar end hits the top tube. The extra length was a bonus and I like the bit of flare at the end.
    mtbtires.com

Front Range Cyclist
    Agreed. I know that logic was applied to the Woodchipper...that people would no doubt cut it down. Lot of great handlebars start wide with the thought they'd be cut down. Easier than adding material

mtbr member
    Didn't know the Midges ever left. Unrealcycles.com has been carrying them for a while now.........which makes me wonder. What will happen with the new On-One/Titus configuration - will that eventually become the sole source for On-One product in the US - and unrealcycles will no longer be selling On-One product?

Just wondering.

Shiggy?

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Didn't know the Midges ever left. Unrealcycles.com has been carrying them for a while now.........which makes me wonder. What will happen with the new On-One/Titus configuration - will that eventually become the sole source for On-One product in the US - and unrealcycles will no longer be selling On-One product?

Just wondering.

Shiggy?
    Not yet determined.
    mtbtires.com

jrm
    mtbr member

Now available in 31.8 black ano

bought one from unrealcycles in Ore.

My original reason for using the chair tips was to have a bumper in case the bar end hits the top tube. The extra length was a bonus and I like the bit of flare at the end.
    I have also found that the chair tips do not come loose in a crash. I have had every other bike specific rubber/plastic plug come out.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So you are using a chair tip to insert in the Midge for extra extension? I always used bar-end shifters on mine and never had a concern with the Midges length, but I could see how running it in an SS set-up would be a bit short though. Sounds like good changes coming downstream for the new version Midge. I know a lot of folks have jumped on the Woodchipper bandwagon, but the shallow drop of the Midge, the length of the tops and the amount of flare has always felt perfect to me and I know its shallow, but for me personally I just don't care for the look of the Woodchipper either.

Front Range Cyclist
    I have also found that the chair tips do not come loose in a crash. I have had every other bike specific rubber/plastic plug come out.
    Shiggy I don't see them ever coming off especially with the wrap over it Heck I had a hard time just pulling them off after I made the mistake of popping them on when I got them.....then realized I may want to pull them off to put nickles in as you suggested. Yeah...that was a workout!

i'm with you....standard bike specific plugs are junk. Only ones that ever lasted longer than a week without being lost were the bontrager anti-vibration ones. They were tough to pull out and I think they did a good job. Otherwise the rest...crap. I may even try this trick on my road bike

Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    So you are using a chair tip to insert in the Midge for extra extension? I always used bar-end shifters on mine and never had a concern with the Midges length, but I could see how running it in an SS set-up would be a bit short though. Sounds like good changes coming downstream for the new version Midge. I know a lot of folks have jumped on the Woodchipper bandwagon, but the shallow drop of the Midge, the length of the tops and the amount of flare has always felt perfect to me and I know its shallow, but for me personally I just don't care for the look of the Woodchipper either.
    A rubber chair tip, 22mm diameter (not the plastic ones) with a nickel inside adds about 10mm to the end of the bar. The nickel is an old BMX trick to keep the bar from punching through the end of a grip.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the chair tip detail Shiggy. As you mentioned earlier the side benefit of helping absorb a bar hit to the top tube would also be a big plus and provide some extra piece of mind.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Man I love the Midge!!! I have been using it on my road bike for over a year with thousands of miles on them. Best road bars out there! I get lots of comments on rides too.

Yeah Yeah, this is a MTB site sorry.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Man I love the Midge!!! I have been using it on my road bike for over a year with thousands of miles on them. Best road bars out there! I get lots of comments on rides too.

I love it so much, that I have to agree...It's awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend

I use them on my road bike, too.
    mtbtires.com

Freelance Whatever
    I currently have the Woodchipper and would like to know if the Midge or the WTB drops have a shallower drop? I have a Fargo and would like to have a little less distance to reach when riding in the drops.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast