mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Yeti SB95 vs Niner RIP 9 vs Salsa Horsethief 1

Trying to decide between these three. All are in the same price range and all seem to be around the same specs (Yeti XT set up, Niner 3 star, Horsethief 1). Was wondering if anyone has some strong convictions one way or another. I know it has a lot to do with personal preference but was trying to tap into the knowledge on this board for some help.

Some background: I am a tall and lanky (6' 2") rider who loves the up as much as the down (strange I know). Live in the front range of CO so I typically ride dry, boney, somewhat technical trails with some epic ups and downs. I am not the most technical downhill rider, usual point the bike down and let it go where it wants to.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I can't go wrong with either of the three bikes.
    Last edited by fulljones; 05-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I am sure others will say this as well, but test ride all of them because fit will be really important.

I also think that the RIP 9 fits better in that lineup than the Jet 9 (more comparable travel and general disposition), and with the new RIP coming out there will probably be good deals on the older model. FWIW I live in AZ with lots of rocks and some pretty epic climbs, and the RIP 9 is a perfect all-around bike for me. It's set up with a 140mm fork but also rides great with a 120. I have a good friend who rides the Yeti and he loves his as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the intel. I meant to say RIP 9, going to edit the post now.

two wheel whore
    They all have different suspension designs, it's going to be personal taste, especially since you'll be doing some climbing. I know you were looking for opinions, but since you're dropping 4g's...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fulljones View Post
    Trying to decide between these three. All are in the same price range and all seem to be around the same specs (Yeti XT set up, Niner 3 star, Horsethief 1). Was wondering if anyone has some strong convictions one way or another. I know it has a lot to do with personal preference but was trying to tap into the knowledge on this board for some help.

Some background: I am a tall and lanky (6' 2") rider who loves the up as much as the down (strange I know). Live in the front range of CO so I typically ride dry, boney, somewhat technical trails with some epic ups and downs. I am not the most technical downhill rider, usual point the bike down and let it go where it wants to.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I can't go wrong with either of the three bikes.
    As already mentioned you need to ride them. While all good bikes, they are good for the people they fit.

Just one example, I haven't ridden a single pivot design yet that I've liked. I also liked the VPP of my SC much better than the FSR on my SJ.

So yes all good bikes, but if you buy without riding, you could go wrong with any one of them.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of my RIP 9, it surprises me how well it climbs. I think with Niner's focus on only 29er bikes they are really able to dial in the geometry and suspension design. The RIP also goes down the hill equally as well, I'm 6'4" on an XL frame. I haven't ridden the Yeti or Salsa, but they are both a single pivot design and I tend to shy away from that design because I had it on my previous bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I definitely intend on testing them all out, I just wanted to see what you all thought, if there was overall agreement one way or another. I am amazed that the Horsethief is the only one that comes with a dropper seatpost for that price point.

mtbr member

Re: Yeti SB95 vs Niner RIP 9 vs Salsa Horsethief 1

The Yeti SB95 is not a single pivot design. It uses their Switch suspension tech. It acts very similar to a dual link design like VPP, DW-Link and Niners CVA for that matter. Both the Niner and the Yeti will ride somewhat similar and most likely more efficiently under power while climbing. I have ridden both the Yeti SB95 and Niner RIP9 and liked them both. My buddy bought a Thief and likes it also. He had ridden the Yeti as well and it was his favorite bike. He got a smokin deal on the Thief though and decided to save the extra scratch instead of paying quite a bit more for the Yeti. Had they been nearly equal cost I would bet he would have chosen the Yeti.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have demo'd the Niner and I rented the Yeti.....The Yeti I rented was aluminum and the niner was carbon. The yeti climbed unbelievably. I rented it in NC. I mean I could not believe how well it climbed. The niner was smoother and felt like riding on a cloud or something. But I think the Yeti in Carbon would be my dream bike at the moment. But either one is a winner to me. But of course......ride it yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    The Yeti SB95 is not a single pivot design.
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Horsethief.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Horsethief.
    I said they were both, my bad, just the Salsa is SP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I see that now

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I see that now
    I have been looking and testing all the bikes I can , I liked the rip 9 carbon very much , accept the low BB with the linkage hanging down , if you do not ride rocky hack you might be ok and with a Cytoe skid plate installed it will work , I also did not like the 32 fork on the rip
    and it had alot of pedal bob for me .
    I rode the Pivot and all the Specialized 29ers and I was not impressed.
    Then I rode the yeti sb95 carbon , this bike has no pedal bob at all it just goes forward , this is the first short duel link bike that I have ever ridden that actually separates the pedaling from the bump input , it kills any DW link bike .
    I have a vpp bike and its ok.
    I have not ridden the salsa because i do not like the single pivot bikes , they just do not work for me .

I am 6'3 and will unfortunately only really fit on the XL bike ( accept the rip, the large frame on the rip was just about right , a tad small but would have worked fine once I installed the correct 51 mm offset fox 34 fork that is )

So I ordered the XL SB95 carbon frame and shock and will be doing a the XX group 1x11, I9 wheels 34 fox fork 120/140 and reverb .

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Sorry I have no input on the other two.. but I'm loving my sb95c.

Good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here's a wrench to throw into your decision making.... Santa Cruz has the Tallboy frames (in XL for you, I'm assuming) on sale right now for $900 direct from their website. Buy one of those and put together your own build; I bet you can do it for less than the other bikes. I'm in the process of doing it with a large frame and I'm around $2200 for an X-9 build (with a couple higher end parts) and a Fox 32 120mm RLC fork. It's amazing the deals you can find online if you spend some time looking (and on Ebay).

I ride on the Front Range too, and the Tallboy kills it on trails like Buffalo Creek, Centennial Cone, Lair O' the Bear, etc. I can't wait until I can actually ride mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post

looking really good there Geek., I could not get the black in just a frame and shock so I had to go with the turquoise.
    I just can not believe how well the rear suspension actually works on the SB series bikes .

The riding here in Phoenix really tears up and kills a bike so i wanted black to hide the damage better, Your bike sure looks beautiful and sexy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would say the Tallboy is in a different class of bike than what the op is looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Here's a wrench to throw into your decision making.... Santa Cruz has the Tallboy frames (in XL for you, I'm assuming) on sale right now for $900 direct from their website. Buy one of those and put together your own build; I bet you can do it for less than the other bikes. I'm in the process of doing it with a large frame and I'm around $2200 for an X-9 build (with a couple higher end parts) and a Fox 32 120mm RLC fork. It's amazing the deals you can find online if you spend some time looking (and on Ebay).

I ride on the Front Range too, and the Tallboy kills it on trails like Buffalo Creek, Centennial Cone, Lair O' the Bear, etc. I can't wait until I can actually ride mine.
    I built the wife a tallboy c and in my group I ride with there is a tallboy c and tallboy LTc and I like the tallboy c better than the tallboy LTc .
    The tallboy,s have the fox 34 at 140 and they do work very well climbing and descending.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Very, very happy with the '12 RIP. Rode a Transition Bandit 29 for about a year, but the RIP fits better, pedals better and is just as much fun downhill. I found a new 2012 frame for $1200 about 6 weeks ago. Great bike. The CVA suspension design is truly the real deal and Niner is a great company with good folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post

I want that bike so bad!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ^^^^ Me too! That is the best looking 29er I've ever seen!

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Thanks guys.. I'm really digging it. I can honestly say that on Sunday's 4 hour ride I had the most fun I've had on a bicycle since childhood.

Here are some more photos/detail shots I took of it before I got it dirty for the first time:
    Yeti SB95 Carbon Race - topgeek's Photos

cheers