Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Yeti SB95 or Banshee Prime?

I currently ride a '10 Pivot 429. I'm 6'4" and really like the way XL 29ers fit. I love the way the Pivot climbs, but I'm starting to push it into sketchy territory on the way down. It's becoming a safety issue. Having a bike built for the trails I ride seems like a good idea. I'm In New Mexico riding some pretty gnarly chunk, but both climbing and descending these trails. So I need a bike that climbs and descends well. The geometry of the Yeti and the Banshee seem similar with a nod to the Yeti for climbing and a nod to the Banshee for descending.

Any opinions? I'm even considering an SB66c... I do miss the playfulness of 26" wheels...

mtbr member
    Are you gonna keep the 429 too?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Are you gonna keep the 429 too?
    No, I can only afford to have one nice bike. That's why I need a "do it all"...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    do you like climbing or descending more?
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    . I do miss the playfulness of 26" wheels...
    Turner Burner 650b....better rollover than 26" wheels, yet more playful than 29" wheels. Plus it's DW link just like your current pivot which you seem to like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just did what you are contemplating and bought Yeti SB95. My previous two bikes were a Pivot 429 & Giant Anthem 29. I too was getting sketched out on sone of the more technical downhill trails. I bought the aluminum and will upgrade next year to the carbon if I'm psyched on the balance it provides. Should have in a month or so. Good Luck. J

mtbr member
    Hard to lose with either, but I would go with the Banshee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Turner Burner 650b....better rollover than 26" wheels, yet more playful than 29" wheels. Plus it's DW link just like your current pivot which you seem to like.
    I do like the DW link...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If owned both (prime proto) and my vote goes to the Banshee. The suspension is so smooth yet doesn't seem to wallow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would appreciate some help here. Has anyone ridden both the Prime and the SB95? I've narrowed my search down to these two. Bottom line I'm sure both will be great but I want to prioritize long(1 to 2 hours) climb prowess and as much "in the bike" feel as possible. It's a tough one and besides the Yeti being manufactured in NA, I'm leaning towards the Banshee.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    I currently ride a '10 Pivot 429. I'm 6'4" and really like the way XL 29ers fit. I love the way the Pivot climbs, but I'm starting to push it into sketchy territory on the way down. It's becoming a safety issue. Having a bike built for the trails I ride seems like a good idea. I'm In New Mexico riding some pretty gnarly chunk, but both climbing and descending these trails. So I need a bike that climbs and descends well. The geometry of the Yeti and the Banshee seem similar with a nod to the Yeti for climbing and a nod to the Banshee for descending.

Any opinions? I'm even considering an SB66c... I do miss the playfulness of 26" wheels...
    I would seriously try to ride both of these bikes. Both of these options have very slack HTA's and the steering was poor (for me) - especially as a 1 bike do it all if you are used to riding a Pivot. It sounds like maybe something in the Pivot HTA or a degree maybe slightly slacker but with more travel is what you are after?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Price range? Carbom or alum?

Price range? Carbom or alum? I know you said the other two bikes, but...The Intense Spider 29 Comp is the same geo as the SB-95 but in carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stoats View Post
    I would appreciate some help here. Has anyone ridden both the Prime and the SB95? I've narrowed my search down to these two. Bottom line I'm sure both will be great but I want to prioritize long(1 to 2 hours) climb prowess and as much "in the bike" feel as possible. It's a tough one and besides the Yeti being manufactured in NA, I'm leaning towards the Banshee.
    I'm not sure, but I do not think that Yeti is made in the USA anymore. I think they moved overseas but still do quality checks and finishing touches in the US. So I don't think that should be a deciding factor for you either way.

The Yeti is a more efficient bike and has a more stiff suspension feel whereas the Prime still pedals very well but is way more plush in my experience.

beater
    I have a pre-production Prime and demoed a SB95. My take is that the SB95 is a trail bike and the Prime is a AM bike. By that I mean the Yeti is more of an all-rounder. The Prime climbs well, but it's no XC rocket, and you climb it for the descent. If you want to sprint up the climbs, go with the SB95. I didn't think the SB95 was comparable to my Prime in stiffness.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks Colin. The made in NA thing is just a keep jobs at home philosophy, and I'm pretty sure Yeti still does their aluminum frames in the States(?), but plush is what I like to hear. I'm coming off of a Yelli and Surface(both great bikes) . You said in an earlier post that the Prime doesn't wallow-did you find that withe the Yeti?
    GSJ,I'm on Vancouver Island and there aren't any stocking dealers around here. I've had a 429 and thought it was a very nice bike but a little too xc and need something more burly. I have a Moots Mooto X to address my xc needs and it makes me a real happy camper.
    SaxMan, cost is not an issue, not really interested in carbon, although the Intense does look like a
    great ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Yeti pedals better, period. It's a great "one bike fits all" bike. The Prime is a stiffer ride, but it also weighed considerably more ( mine was the Proto). If you want a bike than can "handle" the downs but accelerates like a rocket, go Yeti. If you merely see the uphills as a ticket for admission for shredding it downhill, go Prime.

You honestly can't go wrong with either. It's a great "problem" to have It really comes down to what type of riding you prefer.

rider
    Jan 2005
    If you want a playful 29er trail bike it is really hard to beat a 2012 Transition Bandit Two9.
    Mine climbs great w/o a platform shock, running a Pushed Monarch +, and it is hard to convey with words how well it descends. Unfortunately, you may have a hard time getting one, as the XL size has been sold out for a while. Sorry, but my XL is not for sale...

The 2013 Covert Two9 from Transition has just washed up on these shores and I'm pretty certain that it will be able to put a solid hurt on either the Prime or SB95 in the gnarly chunk that you speak of. You can get it with a F34 with either 140 or 150mm of front travel. I'll bet that with the Float CTD shock it will climb just fine as well. Mine will be wearing a DHX RC4 coil shock when it arrives in about ten days.

Just not a big fan of twin short link rear squish bikes. YMMV.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

beater
    I think the Covert will be an great addition to the market, but for a rider who says he's looking for an XL, it's worth remembering the sizes aren't equivalent. The Covert XL (reach/stack = 435mm/637mm) is about the same size as a L Prime (440mm/633mm). The XL Prime is 475/633.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeti isn't made in NA anymore. Still love my Big Top though! As a poster said above, the Spider Comp would be worth considering if you can get over the carbon thing. I was planning on waiting for the SB-95 carbon but pulled the trigger on the Spider as it is very similiar and available now.

If downhill was my top priority over all around prowess, definitely would have taken a hard look at the prime! Any of the abovementioned bikes will be way more capable on the downs than your Pivot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you everyone. This forum has always been a great source of accurate information and recommendation. Anyway, a true all-rounder is what I'm after and as Colin+M said it's a great problem to have to figure out. I'll sleep on it but the Yeti should do just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    . My take is that the SB95 is a trail bike and the Prime is a AM bike. By that I mean the Yeti is more of an all-rounder. The Prime climbs well, but it's no XC rocket, and you climb it for the descent. If you want to sprint up the climbs, go with the SB95. I didn't think the SB95 was comparable to my Prime in stiffness.
    This is where I was going with the question about keeping the 429 too. If you were planning on keeping it, I would say Prime. Since you're not and you'll be asking the new bike to do everything, I'd say the Yeti.

I'm with stupid
    I vote yeti, I have not ridden a prime but the yeti seems to be a more all around bike. I wish I had such a tough choice to make....

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I think the Covert will be an great addition to the market, but for a rider who says he's looking for an XL, it's worth remembering the sizes aren't equivalent. The Covert XL (reach/stack = 435mm/637mm) is about the same size as a L Prime (440mm/633mm). The XL Prime is 475/633.
    I'm 6' 3" and my XL B29 fits me very well with a TBC 50mm stem and 750mm wide bars. TBC has said that the B29 and C29 were designed to be nearly the exact same fit across the sizes. So, unless the OP has both a long torso and long arms, I'd guess that the XL Prime would be too long for him also.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 11-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    If you want a playful 29er trail bike it is really hard to beat a 2012 Transition Bandit Two9.
    Mine climbs great w/o a platform shock, running a Pushed Monarch +, and it is hard to convey with words how well it descends. .
    This is really good to hear 29erchico. I'm going this route and should find this out as soon as the bike arrives and I build it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    I'm 6' 3" and my XL B29 fits me very well with a TBC 60mm stem and 750mm wide bars. TBC has said that the B29 and C29 were designed to be nearly the exact same fit across the sizes. So, unless the OP has both a long torso and long arms, I'd guess that the XL Prime would be too long for him also.
    TBC doesn't make a 60mm stem. Only 50mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast