Thread: Yeti or Epic?

mtbr member

Yeti or Epic?

Been off the mtn bike for a while. Thinking of a full squish bike....Epic Carbon Comp or SB95???
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

Rohloff
    Those are significantly different bikes. Go learn more and come back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    As the previous poster mentioned, they are very different bikes for different types of riders, and terrain.

If you are a person who values climbing or crossing distances as efficiently as possible at the compromise of descending ability, the Specialized would be your better bet. Also, if you live in a flat land area that is not too technical, the Specialized would be your best bet.

If you live in an area where there are good sized mountains or some technical chunk, and don't care how fast you get to the top of the hill, the Yeti is the better choice as it will provide more smiles on the way down the hill.

The Specialized Stumpjumper is comparable to the Yeti SB95, not the Epic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    As the previous poster mentioned, they are very different bikes for different types of riders, and terrain.

If you are a person who values climbing or crossing distances as efficiently as possible at the compromise of descending ability, the Specialized would be your better bet. Also, if you live in a flat land area that is not too technical, the Specialized would be your best bet.

If you live in an area where there are good sized mountains or some technical chunk, and don't care how fast you get to the top of the hill, the Yeti is the better choice as it will provide more smiles on the way down the hill.

The Specialized Stumpjumper is comparable to the Yeti SB95, not the Epic.
    Sorry about the vague post. Previous, limited, mtn bike experience has been on an Air 9. Moved from Houston back to Denver. I am a 33 year+ crit racer looking to get out in the dirt. I am competent in the dirt, but by no means advanced. I understand the Epic is lower travel, etc. I can get either at wholesale and can adapt to whichever I decide to purchase. My thoughts are that the SB95 is a better choice as it has more travel...more versatile??? I am also purchasing a Stumpy Comp Carbon HT. So, just wondering which full squish might be the better choice.
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Houston to Denver, get the sb95. Epic if you were in Houston. Houston trails suck a fat one, need a race bike for them. SB95 sounds perfect for colorado trails, actually I've got an ellsworth evolution for sale if you're an XL.. selling for a sb95
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    Houston to Denver, get the sb95. Epic if you were in Houston. Houston trails suck a fat one, need a race bike for them. SB95 sounds perfect for colorado trails, actually I've got an ellsworth evolution for sale if you're an XL.. selling for a sb95
    I AM an XL...LOL Thanks for the reply!! Gonna do the Yeti!!!!! My only experience in Houston was a daily ride on Anthills - squish would have been better than my Air 9!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Unless you plan on racing XC, Yeti SB95 for sure in Colorado. Its not just the travel as you mentioned above, but more so its geometry that will make for a fun bike in the Denver area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Unless you plan on racing XC, Yeti SB95 for sure in Colorado. Its not just the travel as you mentioned above, but more so its geometry that will make for a fun bike in the Denver area.
    Thank you, sir!!!! Sounds like the Yeti is the right choice!! Got loads of input from the LBS on the Spesh suspension, but just more than I think I need. And, the Yeti just looks sweet!!! Gonna do the silver!!

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How about making this a useful post by asking for some bikes similar to the Yeti to try?
    A Pivot 429c or a Ripley with a 140 Pike or a new RIP. If you ride these and the Yeti you may see something you really like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    what are your opinions between SB95C and Intense Spider Comp 29::

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    How about making this a useful post by asking for some bikes similar to the Yeti to try?
    A Pivot 429c or a Ripley with a 140 Pike or a new RIP. If you ride these and the Yeti you may see something you really like.
    what about the Intense Spider Comp 29, against the Ripley and Yeti SB95c?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Anthills is junk. Comparably at least. Spider is a great bike but the sb95c is my dream bike. My ells isnt too far away though.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Yeti is a more efficient pedaling bike than the Spider, not by much. On the descents the Spider seems more plush and bottomless.

The Ripley is more like a thoroughbred race horse, fairly firm on the descents but pedals like a raped ape. More like a long legged XC bike than a true trail bike like the Yeti and Spider Comp.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    The Yeti is a "boutique" bike, while the Specialized is a "name brand" bike. The Yeti will have better components than the Specialized, so go for that. I do prefer the color scheme of the Yeti over the Specialized as well.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    The Yeti is a more efficient pedaling bike than the Spider, not by much. On the descents the Spider seems more plush and bottomless.

The Ripley is more like a thoroughbred race horse, fairly firm on the descents but pedals like a raped ape. More like a long legged XC bike than a true trail bike like the Yeti and Spider Comp.
    I'm asking between these two because , i have an 2011 epic comp carbon 26, and i wanna buy a 29er trail bike to use in long ride, normally the conditions of the ride are high climbs sometimes walking with the bike on my back and technical descents (rocks, roots, mud a lot), the epic is excellent for this (11.5 Kg) my first though was to buy a 29er Epic, but i want more a mix between XC and Trails, all around bike. I live in Venezuela and because the economy is pretty difficult to buy a bike locally, say so, in my holidays i will go to florida and i wanna buy one. my list so far is:
    1.- SB95C
    2.- Intense Spider Comp 29
    3.- Stumpjumper FSR expert EVO
    4.- SC Tallboy LTC

Sorry for my english!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Sorry about the vague post. Previous, limited, mtn bike experience has been on an Air 9. Moved from Houston back to Denver. I am a 33 year+ crit racer looking to get out in the dirt. I am competent in the dirt, but by no means advanced. I understand the Epic is lower travel, etc. I can get either at wholesale and can adapt to whichever I decide to purchase. My thoughts are that the SB95 is a better choice as it has more travel...more versatile??? I am also purchasing a Stumpy Comp Carbon HT. So, just wondering which full squish might be the better choice.
    Thanks!!
    Just might have something to do with not really wanting to hear about other bikes
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti or Epic?-aaaaaaaaaayeti.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Excellent choice! Yeti=Colorado in my mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The Yeti is a "boutique" bike, while the Specialized is a "name brand" bike. The Yeti will have better components than the Specialized, so go for that. I do prefer the color scheme of the Yeti over the Specialized as well.
    But buying a Yeti in Denver is like buying a Specialized anywhere else in the country...so get a Trek...

Rohloff
    SB95. Nice choice.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Yeti or Epic?

Congrats, I just ordered mine too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2