Thread: Yeti 5+ niner

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Yeti 5+ niner

Been shopping bikes for a while. I demo'd quite a few rigs and was open to any brand/model. Ended up sticking with the tribe after trying the 5+ on the niner wheels.

I'm 5'10 this is a medium and it fits perfectly. I generally found if I was on the cusp between a m/l it was best to go with the medium especially on the 29 bikes.

Build for now is the XT/SLX with the turq wheels (DT swiss 350/XM421), Krest 2.35's, RF carbon bars (770), MRP AMGv2 and a mucky nutz fender.

The bike is super playful, I love how easily it leaves the ground and just encourages you to go faster. Been running the tires at 30/28 traction has been incredible, the moist dirt lately sure helps with that.

The Fox 34 grip is very plush, I do think it needs a bit more ramp up, got a few ideas for that. The shock definitely needs a bit more tuning just going to start with some vol spacers and go from there.

I've got a few rides on it including a great 19 miler on a greasy day at Annadel, stay tuned for more.

Yeti 5+ niner-storm1.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-storm2.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-storm3.jpg

Deviant
    Nice

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike! Nice colors too, Had a Yeti demo bike for a day recently and was super impressed with the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mounted up a set of Rekon 2.6's on these 25mm id (30mm od) rims. They measure out to about 2.45, I always expect Maxxis to run narrow and even more so with the rim id. The Krests measured to 2.32

Ran them at around 25lbs and that was too much, probably going to back off to 20 for now and go from there. I'm 180lbs but ride aggressively and prefer starting on the high end for pressure.

Very stable, great traction, cornering is only going to improve with pressure tuning but was still better than stock Krests. Speed was impressive, fastest MPH on a particular segment to date.

Post ride

Yeti 5+ niner-rekon26.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-rekon262.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Put some orange stuff on the bike. The MRP cartrige did what I wanted to the fork, got it at 90lbs and 4 clicks ramp, feels great. The frame protection is All Mountain Style

Ran the tires at 20lbs and that was much better

Last thing is the shock, feels good on slower technical but when speeds get higher or hits are bigger it feels lacking. Thinking of going DPX2 or X2

At this point I have about 60 miles on the bike and still love it, tuning is something I enjoy, looking forward to getting the most out of the bike.

Yeti 5+ niner-mrpcart.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-storm4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got a bunch of rides on the bike and made some more changes.

While the Switch Infinity definitely works it doesn't magically make your legs stronger. I went with a Box 11-46 and paired with an XT trigger. The double shift alone on the XT is worth it over the SLX.

The stock DPS evol shock just wasn't doing it for me. I found it was good on slower technical riding but when speeds picked up and hits got bigger I found it was very lacking. The rear felt very active and didn't settle well into high speed corners. I tried some tuning with air and rebound but overall couldn't get it to where I found a good balance.

My LBS gave me a great deal for the DPX2 upgrade and after only one ride I can tell it was worth it. The rear end feels more planted but still pops when you ask it to. Need to put some more miles on it for now but overall really stoked.

Yeti 5+ niner-yetixt.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-yetiforty6.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-yetidpx2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd like to see a pic of the rear tire clearance to the seattube and stays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd like to see a pic of the rear tire clearance to the seattube and stays.
    With the thick frame protection I use there is about 7mm from the thickest knob. Wider rim would probably push it even further away

Yeti 5+ niner-yeticlearance.jpg

mtbr member
    Have you done ay measurements with the 29er wheels on it? Id be really interested in how high the BB is with the wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    With the thick frame protection I use there is about 7mm from the thickest knob. Wider rim would probably push it even further away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yeticlearance.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	1182537
    So 7mm from the top of the tire to the frame?
    Those tires could go on 35mm inner rims to allow you to run at a lower psi (depending on rim hits)for a bigger footprint. Although Maxxis doesn't seem to produce a very rounded profile design when compared with say a Bontrager XR4 Team 29 x 2.6. The front would be more important to get on a wider rim anyway for cornering grip. The Fox fork should have plenty of room for a wider rim. The XR4 is out of stock. You'd have to get on the list at a dealer for the next shipment. $65. A XR4 could go on a 39-40mm front inner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll get some measurements this week. I will go with a wider rim once these bite the bucket. There are some areas I ride that a 27.5 plus setup would really be best but for now I'm happy with the setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That is one sweet build- I had no idea you could run this bike as a 29er. Yeti says nothing about it on their website. I like this as an alternative to the 5.5... lighter, more front travel, nice geometry. Curious about the BB Height as well.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    That is one sweet build- I had no idea you could run this bike as a 29er. Yeti says nothing about it on their website. I like this as an alternative to the 5.5... lighter, more front travel, nice geometry. Curious about the BB Height as well.
    It's on the site just buried in the FAQ's. I do agree though that they should make this more clear though. It only adds to the marketability of the bike. I would definitely love to throw a leg over this one!

Yeti 5+ niner-screen-shot-2018-02-12-5.16.24-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post

Thanks, BB height is as Yeti mentions 13.5in. Oddly enough I rode the 5+ last year and was told it wouldn't work as a niner. My LBS however has sold a few of these in similar kit its a nice package and overall was less than building the 5.5 the way I wanted