mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Yes, another 29er recommendation thread

New to mountain biking and am looking at buying a 29er. Have an opportunity to purchase one of the following:

1. New old stock 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 with XT for $2,600.
    2. 2013 SC Tallboy with X9 from Competitive Cyclist for $2,700
    3. 2103 Scott Spark 910 with XT for $3,199.
    4. Scott Spark 920 with XT/SLX for $2,790
    5. 2013 Specialized Epic 29 for $2,325
    6. 2013 Specialized ST FSR Elite for $2,765

SC seems like a no brainer but would prefer to buy local due to free service that comes with a local purchase. Any issues with buying a 3 model year old bike being sold as new and with a full warranty? I've ridden the Giant and liked the ride and have the opportunity to ride the others but the price points are too close together and making it difficult to narrow things down. Would welcome any feedback and guidance you could offer.

mtbr member
    Im a known fan of the Tallboy... So the only thing I would ask is have you ridden all of these?

mtbr member
    Here's my $.02, but keep in mind I haven't ridden these bikes.

The Giant: anthems are decent bikes, but Giant isn't regarded as one of the best bike manufacturers.

SC: I KNOW people love the Tallboy. I'm looking at one right now too. I have had an incredible experience with SC as well.

Scotts: you can figure out which one is worth your money by figuring out if the upgrades on the 910 are worth the price jump. However, I have heard that customer service with Scott is terrible.

Specs: Theymake good bikes, but I just don't want to have to deal with the servicing of the brain.

mtbr member
    Giant is the largest bicycle MFG in the world. How are they not a good MFG? They produce frames and forks for both major US brands (Trek and Specialized).

Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    Here's my $.02, but keep in mind I haven't ridden these bikes.

The Giant: anthems are decent bikes, but Giant isn't regarded as one of the best bike manufacturers.

SC: I KNOW people love the Tallboy. I'm looking at one right now too. I have had an incredible experience with SC as well.

Scotts: you can figure out which one is worth your money by figuring out if the upgrades on the 910 are worth the price jump. However, I have heard that customer service with Scott is terrible.

Specs: Theymake good bikes, but I just don't want to have to deal with the servicing of the brain.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    The Epic 2013 for $2300 is hard to pass up. Even tho that design is technically 8-9yrs old (just refreshed it now), it is still a really great bike for that price.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    here's my brand new Tallboy from Competitive. This was an awesome bike purchase. That's how I would go if I did it over again. Specialized uses too many custom pieces on their bike builds and the brain is difficult to service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yes, another 29er recommendation thread-tallboy-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    Giant is the largest bicycle MFG in the world. How are they not a good MFG? They produce frames and forks for both major US brands (Trek and Specialized).
    Big doesn't necessarily mean good. It's the whole "quality over quantity" thing. Go to a race venue and I can guarantee you won't see very many Giants. I know because I was at a race yesterday and guess what I didn't see.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Giant makes good bikes and has a really nice suspension system. I probably wouldn't pay that much for a 2011 though.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Scott makes some great bikes with great component spec on all of them.
    What happened to the Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro on your list?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Yes, one race venue, in one area, of one country is a good population study.

And as I stated, Giant produces frames and forks for other branded companies as well; and in fact is a larger portion of their gross income than their own branded products.

Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    Big doesn't necessarily mean good. It's the whole "quality over quantity" thing. Go to a race venue and I can guarantee you won't see very many Giants. I know because I was at a race yesterday and guess what I didn't see.