Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Yelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue

I have started building up my CanfieldBrothers Yelli Screamy and I have run into a problem with installing my XX1 crankset. As you can see in the pictures I have 2 drive side spacers and I am still un able to fit the cranks on without the teeth hitting the chain stay. I still need a good 4-5mm of clearances. I bought the Q156 GXP version and am now thinking that the Yelli is only compatible with the Q168 version of the XX1 cranks. Is this my problem? or is there some other work around. I dont want to buy the Q168 version and run into the same problem.

Yelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue-photo-may-27-12-26-07-pm.jpgYelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue-photo-may-27-12-26-46-pm.jpgYelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue-photo-may-27-12-27-59-pm.jpg

human dehumidifier
    You should cross-post this in the Canfield forum and look around some in there - I remember a recent thread concerning getting different combos to work but I think it was Shimano 2x.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    How big is the chain ring you are trying to run?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The stock 32t XX1 chainring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't think the Q factor would matter, you might have to drop down to a 28 or 30 chainring.

Qfactor would matter more for chainstay clearance, and after looking at your pics you probably do need the higher Q cranks as it looks mighty close there are well.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Edit, reading comprehension sucks.

I would put a smaller ring on it! You may be able to get by with a 30t but probably a 28t.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I can run a 32T on my Yelli no prob.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Swab View Post
    I have started building up my CanfieldBrothers Yelli Screamy and I have run into a problem with installing my XX1 crankset. As you can see in the pictures I have 2 drive side spacers and I am still un able to fit the cranks on without the teeth hitting the chain stay. I still need a good 4-5mm of clearances. I bought the Q156 GXP version and am now thinking that the Yelli is only compatible with the Q168 version of the XX1 cranks. Is this my problem? or is there some other work around. I dont want to buy the Q168 version and run into the same problem.
    It looks like you need a 28t...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would put a smaller ring on it! You may be able to get by with a 30t but probably a 28t.

Formerly of Kent
    Well, you can have pointlessly short shainstays that accomodate huge tires, or you can run proper gearing.

Stokeless Asshat
    Arm contact will be an issue for sure.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Damn was thinking about doing this myself, keep us posted on your solution, a 28 ring isn't the ideal one.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Talked to my wrench buddy who ordered the group and he said that he could order the 168 Q factor and keep the other ones as stock, so it might just work out. Ill try getting him to order a 28t chainring also. Cant hurt to have it as a backup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    SRAM lists the chainline for the XX1 as the same regardless of Q-factor, so unfortunately that isn't going to solve the issue.

XX1 puts the chainring at a 49mm chainline. This is about 1.5mm further inboard than the middle ring of a typical 3x which is what the frame was designed around (32t in the middle ring). To compound the issue, the teeth on the XX1 ring are quite a bit taller than a typical ring(meaning it has the OD of maybe a 34t).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo May 27, 12 26 07 PM.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	802924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo May 27, 12 26 46 PM.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	802925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo May 27, 12 27 59 PM.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	802929
    Am running XX1 with 156qf 30T ring with no spacers on bb without any issues.
    Yelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue-yelli-xx1-2.jpgYelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue-yelli-xx1-3.jpgYelli Screamy Sram XX1 compatibility issue-yelli-xx1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As you can see in the pictures I have 2 drive side spacers and I am still un able to fit the cranks on without the teeth hitting the chain stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    Am running XX1 with 156qf 30T ring with no spacers on bb without any issues.
    Swab, it's also important to note how the GXP cranks are aligned. The drive side floats and is positioned when the non-drive side is clamped against the crank arm. Adding spacers to the drive side won't affect chain line until you've added so many that it won't assemble properly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Swab, it's also important to note how the GXP cranks are aligned. The drive side floats and is positioned when the non-drive side is clamped against the crank arm. Adding spacers to the drive side won't affect chain line until you've added so many that it won't assemble properly.
    Thats another issue i was have having. Because of the spacers i did not have enough spindle to install the non drive side. Ill look into taking out the spacers and installing the non drive side to see if it will fit. Hopefully i can just order a smaller chain ring and finally ride this bike!

This is my first from scratch bike build so its a great learning experience. Ill test this out when i get home from work and will post an update.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Swab, looks to me as if the spacers are keeping the spindle from going far enough into the non drive side bearing and allowing the spindle to center itself. From your pic it looks like the crank is at a slight angle causing the issue. I would remove the spacers and give it a go. I fit the 30T ring with your setup no problem and I think I would have enough room for the 32T as well.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Well, you can have pointlessly short shainstays that accomodate huge tires, or you can run proper gearing.
    Nice! Throw insults at a person asking for help with a problem and tell them their bike is stupid. Have you ridden one? Or do you just inherently know what people should and should not ride? (in case you are wondering, my questions are rhetorical)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thats great news bervin. Ill head to my buddies shop ASAP and try this all out. Hopefully it all works out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I dont know if this will help but.. I am running 30t wolf tooth components chainring on shimano XT cranks(2x10). It looks like 32t would fit on mine. Wolf tooth makes chain rings to fit xx1. I am running no chain retention devise as it is not needed.

Good luck I found this set up to be the best so far for the YS

Kell

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Very helpful. Please PM me your list of approved bikes so I don't buy anything as awesome as the Yelli next time.

bicycle rider
    Swab, did you work this out? Curious to hear the resolution. Thinking about going XX1 on my YS.

Morgan

AOK
    mtbr member

Another option would be to try a XX1 spider for BB30 instead of GXP. These are "flatter" with less offset and will locate the chainring closer to the crank arms and farther from the stays. I am running one I picked up on eBay with XO GXP cranks on my 1x10 setup and it works just fine.

XX1 spiders show up on eBay from time to time. Also, North Shore Billet said they were going to make XX1 compatible spiders, although I don't know if they are available yet.

AOK
    mtbr member

Just checked NSB's site. Looks like they have GXP and BB30 spiders available.

http://northshorebillet.com/shop/1x11-spiders/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast