Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960
Results 2,951 to 2,987 of 2987
    mtbr member
    wonder if the specialized swat will fit a YS?

seat tube is definitely a no though, no mounting holes

mtbr member
    The SWAT box won't work - it requires a 3rd bottle cage bolt to secure the case. You could get a SWAT-compatible cage and the multitool though. Also the chainbreaker top cap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coleam View Post
    The SWAT box won't work - it requires a 3rd bottle cage bolt to secure the case. You could get a SWAT-compatible cage and the multitool though. Also the chainbreaker top cap.
    didn't realize it has a 3rd bolt to the down tube...

perhaps this would get away with it?

anyway, if it wont work, no probs. just looking for options without having to carry a pack
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    That might work if you've got the space on the downtube. TBH, it doesn't carry much though. One tube, one CO2 canister, tire lever, and an inflator. You can cram a tubeless repair kit in as well if it's one of the smaller ones. No room for a multitool, and I wouldn't go out with only CO2 for inflation duties unless I was racing. FWIW, my favorite packless setup is an elastic tool roll under the seat. Unless tire clearance is really, really tight, you can still run it with a dropper, and it's got a bit more room than the SWAT box since it stretches. You can fit a tube, tire lever, CO2 (or a small pump), tubeless repair kit, and multitool. Don't have a link, unfortunately - a friend of a friend makes them himself.

mtbr member

Yelli Screamy by Canfield ?

not much indeed. i always have a pair of tubes and co2 even if i run tubeless. in spite of that, i also got a mini pump, patch kit and the multitool of course. plus a few stuff like phone, wallet, and a few snacks. not trying to fit all in, but yea, perhaps id stick to my pack then. i really dont like the feel of something in the pocket either behind the jersey or the baggies specially off road
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    has there been a tight uphill switchback that you were able to climb easily with a short travel steep HA XC 29er but unable to with a YS with 140 fork?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Don't ride steep HA bikes - but the 135mm on my Yelli was perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi riders!!!Check my videos and what it can do the yelli screamy frame in rocky trails in Greece!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    went for a ride on a local trail that I don't ride too much over the weekend...Riding it on the yelli was a completely different experience. It has a lot of steep ravine crossing where you drop in and climb back out, often with a super tight turn mixed in somewhere. I feel it highlighted every strength of the bike. Great handling on the way down, able to negotiate nearly any turn and then the massive traction on the way back out. Love this bike.
    Sprague Brook? Or a Holiday Valley/Ellicottville trail? Or maybe Hunter's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bringing me back...I Think I was referring to Letchworth

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How much are you guys spending on your Yelli builds?

I'm trying as close as possible to replicate my Transition TransAm in terms of components, especially choosing a similar quality wheelset (Hope Pro 2 Evos on 29er Stan's Flows, right now on Hope Pro 2 and Mavic EX721) and the the Fox 34 Talas/Float (currently running a Fox 36 Float), so I'm not giving up on any of the stiffness and burliness of my current AM build, and a quick spreadsheet calculation shows over $3,000, not including the small stuff like grips and seat clamps for example.

I could simply sell my current frame, forks and wheelset, and swap everything over, but I'm still looking at over $1500+ or so for the Yelli frame, new forks, wheelset, and miscellenous stuff that won't swap over and will have to get new.
    I know I'm 4 years late to the party, but, in case anyone cares or is in a similar boat, I'll be building a Yelli in the coming months and will be keeping track of each component, source, price, etc. Due to finances, this is going to be a very budget build. I got the frame for $275, w/ Cane Creek 40 headset and a seat post clamp. I'm aiming for a reasonably spec'd build for $1500 or so, between Pinkbike, CL, ebay, online stores, and LBS sales. I figure about 50/50 new/used parts.

P.S. - I'm "only" on page 40 of this 119 page thread, so apologies if anything similar has already been commented on/posted in here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    On the verge of ordering a YS, but need to use and existing fork to keep the cost down. Does anyone know minimum steerer tube length for the frame?

The fork I have is an F29 32 series, 100mm. Not sure if I got an accurate measurement of the steerer tube because the bottom part of the headset came off with the fork and seems stuck on it. But it seems to be 7.25-7.5" in length. The frame that I currently have the fork on is 4" HT (4.5" including combined upper and lower headset height), 1.5" of spacers and another 2" on the stem height.

The YS is 110mm HT for a medium, so I am thinking this should work. My biggest concern is with headset height as my current frame the lower headset seems like it goes right in to the frame and the top part has a very low profile. Can you use low profile (not sure if that's the right description?) headsets with the YS? This will be the first time I build a bike on my own so I am trying to make sure I don't over look an important detail.
    Ok, I'm only up to page 60 of this thread, got to this post via a search looking for steerer tube length info. I'm looking at a used RockShox Revelation w/ the tube cut to 6.75". With the 110mm head tube on my medium frame, and the Cane Creek 40 headset (8mm top stack height, 12mm bottom height), I figure that leaves about 1.63" of stem with this fork. Is that enough?

Sorry about the newbie question, I will also search the forums for this sort of answer, but thought I'd ask the people with Yelli's as well. Thanks.
    2012 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba
    1981 Huffy All Pro 3-speed

mtbr member
    YS2014 here:
    - cc40
    - easton havoc stem occupied 40mm from steerer
    - 5 mm spacer on top of headset
    - 15mm on top of stem

steerer is cut to 7.5"
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwrusso View Post
    Ok, I'm only up to page 60 of this thread, got to this post via a search looking for steerer tube length info. I'm looking at a used RockShox Revelation w/ the tube cut to 6.75". With the 110mm head tube on my medium frame, and the Cane Creek 40 headset (8mm top stack height, 12mm bottom height), I figure that leaves about 1.63" of stem with this fork. Is that enough?

Sorry about the newbie question, I will also search the forums for this sort of answer, but thought I'd ask the people with Yelli's as well. Thanks.
    Its going to be VERY close...

My XL Yelli has a 15mm longer head tube than your Med frame. Using a Thompson stem with no spacers, my steer tube is 7.5".

I think it will come down to the stack height of the stem you use.

mtbr member
    Yelli Screamy  by Canfield ?-eb6bc4884119b6991b16cbdc0238516d.jpg

I know...crappy phone pic, not in its natural habitat. Tomorrow will be the first ride.

This was a fairly budget build. I splurged on wheels. Here's the breakdown:

2012 frame, Medium (used)
    WTB Asym i29 rims, I9 Torch Classic hubs (new)
    WTB 27.5 Breakout 2.5 tires (used)
    DT Swiss RWS 10x135 (new)
    2013 RockShox Revelation RCT3 29 140mm Dual Position Air, 20mm thru-axle (used)
    Cane Creek 40 headset (used, new crown race)
    Race Face Ride 1x crankset, 32T n/w, X-type Race XC BB (new)
    Race Face Chester pedals (new (& green!), waiting for them...just cheap flats on now)
    Shimano HG-50 11-36 10 speed cassette (new)
    Shimano XT RD-M786 10 speed rear derailleur (new)
    Shimano HG-54 chain (new)
    Shimano Zee M640 rear shifter (new)
    Shimano Deore M615 brakes, 180 front, 160 rear (new)
    Race Face Ride 60mm stem (new - to be installed, cheap temp stem on now)
    Intense Recon 740 bars, 18mm rise (new)
    Race Face Sniper grips (new)
    Niner alloy seat post (new)
    WTB Speed Comp saddle (new)
    Shimano shift cable housing

For anyone curious, the retail price for everything new would be $3486. I paid $1866, including some shipping and paypal fees. A big part of the cost was the wheelset, my one splurge.

Note: homemade stand using a 3/4" pipe clamp and a section of pipe clamped in the vise. Gets the job done for about $20.

This was my first build, spent a few bucks on a BB tool, lock ring tool, grease, Stan's sealant. Overall not too bad I'd say. I made the mistake of going for a deal on a used fork, not thinking the 20mm axle would make matching a used or cheaper set of 29er wheels difficult. The "old" 10x135 rear also factored in to that. I got the wheels with 15mm front hub caps and 12x142 rear hub caps for future use.
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I finally upgraded the fork on my 2012 Yelli. went from a 100mm F29 striaght steerer tube and qr, to a 120mm Pike 15m thru, tapered. wow! Had I done this 3 years ago I don't think I would have bought my Heckler. with a worthy fork, the Yelli is truly an amazing ride.

Yelli Screamy  by Canfield ?-img_0782.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nvm
    Last edited by Christopher Carter; 08-22-2016 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    I finally upgraded the fork on my 2012 Yelli. went from a 100mm F29 striaght steerer tube and qr, to a 120mm Pike 15m thru, tapered. wow! Had I done this 3 years ago I don't think I would have bought my Heckler. with a worthy fork, the Yelli is truly an amazing ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0782.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1089151

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    you should try a 140 when you get the chance... it sounds ironic but i find the 140 easier to climb.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    YES!^^^ I was running a 135 White Bros Fluid with a 20mmTA. That bike, and that fork are the only pieces of my bike history I TRULY miss. (Fork is bombing through Moscow with a friend and my old Yelli can be seem ripping around Mt. Olympus in Greece.) Looking to repeat that build.

The White Jeff W
    My 2011 now rockin' new 27.5 wheels and a new fork.

Hope Pro 4 hubs with the new Stans Flow MK3 rims and 160mm Manitou Mattoc 27.5 fork. Tires are Nobby Nic in back, Hans Dampf in front - tubeless. Both 27.5x2.35

Last edited by jeffw-13; 08-22-2016 at 02:29 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hand down, the yelli is the best hardtail I have ever owned.

Yelli Screamy  by Canfield ?-20160305_115150-medium-.jpg

You will probably want to mute the music, but I slapped this video together of our local trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    you should try a 140 when you get the chance... it sounds ironic but i find the 140 easier to climb.
    i thought seriously about a 130 -140, but for me, and maybe it is my poor technique, i found the front end wandered too much on climbs with a 100 mm form and 60mm stem with higher rise. i thought if I slacked the HA with 130-140 I might get that same wandering. I also wanted enough distinction between this bike and my Heckler (150), so I thought 120 might strike the right balance.n so far loving it, wish I had doe it 2 years ago.

Sent with Tapatalk

mtbr member
    i thought seriously about a 130 -140, but for me, and maybe it is my poor technique, i found the front end wandered too much on climbs with a 100 mm form and 60mm stem with higher rise. i thought if I slacked the HA with 130-140 I might get that same wandering. I also wanted enough distinction between this bike and my Heckler (150), so I thought 120 might strike the right balance.n so far loving it, wish I had doe it 2 years ago.

Sent with Tapatalk
    What offsets did you have with the 100mm and 120mm forks?

The Yelli seems to be very sensitive to fork offset. Canfield recommends a 51mm offset. I ran a 51mm offset 120mm fork and found the wandering to be too much. My sense was that if I had the same fork offset with a longer fork the bike might have handled better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post

The Yelli seems to be very sensitive to fork offset. Canfield recommends a 51mm offset. I ran a 51mm offset 120mm fork and found the wandering to be too much. My sense was that if I had the same fork offset with a longer fork the bike might have handled better.
    I came from a 120 41 fork and it worked, nothing spectacular. When I switched to a 140 51 pike, the bike felt different... waaay lot better
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member

Sent with Tapatalk
    I thought similarly when I came from 120/41 fork - that I might end up lifting the front end on climbs. That's with a stem/bar of 60mm/720mm 20mm rise and spacer of 20mm.

Now my setup is 140/51 fork and stem/bar of 40mm/750mm 20mm rise and spacer of 25mm. It tracks well and corners a lot better. Ironically it climbs better. TBH, I think I need a higher bar, ie 30mm to add a bit of rear end weight instead of pointing my butt further back, also much easier to do lifts... need to find a buddy with this bar
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member

Taken few months back after a local event. BTW, this is a med 2014 and I stand 5'9"
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I have 51mm offset on both forks.

Sent with Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    2015 Medium Yelli in Black Ano excellent condition in the classifieds section. 500obo Will trade for a Pike 140mm 29er fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rwrusso View Post

i would not go that short, not much adjustment for you. i had 7 1/4 on my Yelli with a 40 series. losing a half inch off that would work for sure but I have to love that height. on my new fork I cut it at 8" and run spacers
    on top.

Sent with Tapatalk

mtbr member
    i didn't measure how much sterer in have left but i left a bit less than 70mm above the cc40 top cap. that's 30mm spacer and 40mm stem.

according to RS instructions max spacer between stem and top cap is 30mm. may be true for other forks...
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    i would not go that short, not much adjustment for you. i had 7 1/4 on my Yelli with a 40 series. losing a half inch off that would work for sure but I have to love that height. on my new fork I cut it at 8" and run spacers
    on top.

Sent with Tapatalk
    It worked out fine. I'm comfortable with the stem right down low, just a small spacer, stem, and top cap. Sorry about the crappy phone pic.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

That's what I thought - have now tried 46 and 51 each in 120 and 140 length. The 46 o/s at 120 is my favourite, too sluggish at 140. The 51 o/s was best at 140, but I find the seat tube too slack with fork at 140.
    Pike is big improvement over revelation too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    That's what I thought - have now tried 46 and 51 each in 120 and 140 length. The 46 o/s at 120 is my favourite, too sluggish at 140. The 51 o/s was best at 140, but I find the seat tube too slack with fork at 140.
    Pike is big improvement over revelation too.

Canfield could send us free stuff for being test riders.

I have a 46mm and a 51mm CSU for my 120mm Revelation. In swapping between these offsets on my Yelli, I found that the 46mm is way better for the 120mm than the 51mm.

So based on our experiences, I think its safe to say- Under 120mm, go with 46mm offset. Over 120mm go with 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Honzo ST vs. Yelli?

I've been on a 2011 Large YS for 5 years. It's been a great bike for me but I've come to realize it's just a bit too small. I'd like to pick up an XL but they're sold out. I have a chance to pick up a 2016 Honzo ST XL that I think might fit me a bit better. I haven't ridden one though and know the frame is a pig at 7ish pounds. Anyone owned or spent a good amount of time on a steel Honzo that could compare it to the YS? Don't want to give up that oversize BMX playfulness that I get from the YS. Hoping the Honzo fits the bill. I guess worst case I could just part it out next spring when the new XL Yellis are in!

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960