Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 2987
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    65
    After a month on my bike, I can say I am really liking it. It's the only 29er I've ridden. Changes since I originally built it, trimmed the downpull arm off the fr der and that's it. I'm more of a gravity guy and have always ridden more slack bikes. I wouldn't go any steeper than this bike but that is definitely a personal opinion and riding style. I have 2.25 Ardents on right now. They are fine but I would be interested in trying something bigger too. I don't think a Weirwolf LT will clear in the back but something wide and fast is going to get the nod when these tires are done. Here's a rerun pic because no one has posted it in Johnny Cash.


  2. #152
    Slightly askew
    Reputation: strangerthanmilhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    195
    I've been on my yelli for about 3 weeks now. This bike is really smooth. Taken it to Pisgah 4x and it handles the tech quite well. Specs- lg silver Yelli, Reba maxle lite set at 100mm(temp) I9s, SLX cranks.
    Zero charisma

  3. #153
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerthanmilhouse
    I've been on my yelli for about 3 weeks now. This bike is really smooth.
    Nice! I have been riding my Yelli at 140mm (started at 100mm) recently and I really dig it. It is a fun bike.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,804
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Nice! I have been riding my Yelli at 140mm (started at 100mm) recently and I really dig it. It is a fun bike.
    Slacker is better!


  5. #155
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,351
    I bet Is that the same Marz you originally snagged for it? Since I got my Pdox I've come to think of running it with a 120mm fork as XC mode Would love to give a 140mm a try. Any vids from either of you guys who've been riding these things for a bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Nice! I have been riding my Yelli at 140mm (started at 100mm) recently and I really dig it. It is a fun bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  6. #156
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Slacker is better!
    No doubt! Even with the Yelli at 67 degrees, it is the steepest HA bike I've had in quite awhile.


    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Is that the same Marz you originally snagged for it?
    Yes, it is the 44 TST2. It was a decent fork at 100mm, but at 140 some unwanted traits are accentuated. With the tapered steerer it is a VERY stiff chassis, but the TST2 cart lacks some of the sublties of higher end forks (duh!). I need to get off my a$$ and get some (MOAR?) shims and convert the damper. The TST2 really could use some help, especially at 140. I still think it will end up being a great adjustable fork, especially for the price.

    No vids from me and I won't have any anytime soon either as I'm at work (in AK...I live in WA) for another several weeks .
    Extreme stationary biker.

  7. #157
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,351
    Yeah, I'm hoping that when Banshee redesigns the P'dox they slack it out a degree or two. I think 67-68 should be the new HA for anything not XC, STA it would seem is super personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    No doubt! Even with the Yelli at 67 degrees, it is the steepest HA bike I've had in quite awhile.
    Yeah, I bet it sucks to be up in Alaska to work Snap some pics for those of us who don't get to see places like that. Which part of AK you at?
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Yes, it is the 44 TST2. It was a decent fork at 100mm, but at 140 some unwanted traits are accentuated. With the tapered steerer it is a VERY stiff chassis, but the TST2 cart lacks some of the sublties of higher end forks (duh!). I need to get off my a$$ and get some (MOAR?) shims and convert the damper. The TST2 really could use some help, especially at 140. I still think it will end up being a great adjustable fork, especially for the price.

    No vids from me and I won't have any anytime soon either as I'm at work (in AK...I live in WA) for another several weeks .
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #158
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yeah, I bet it sucks to be up in Alaska to work Snap some pics for those of us who don't get to see places like that. Which part of AK you at?
    While this is not a recent photo (and a different location than I am in currently), it does illustrate how all is not peaches and cream working in Alaska. YMMV.

    Yelli Screamy  by Canfield ?-yee_haw_.jpg

    PS - Yes, that road is constructed with frozen water.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  9. #159
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    While this is not a recent photo (and a different location than I am in currently), it does illustrate how all is not peaches and cream working in Alaska. YMMV.

    PS - Yes, that road is constructed with frozen water.
    I'm thinking I just got some insight into your sig!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    769
    Hallo!
    So I'm going to order a Yelli screamy frame.
    As I'm in assembling by myself, and I'll go with a 1'1/8'' straight fork, which Headset should I use?
    Is the head tube 1-1/8" ZeroStack top (44mm inside diameter) and 1.5" ZeroStack bottom (55.9mm inside diameter)?

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,663
    Quote Originally Posted by savo
    Hallo!
    So I'm going to order a Yelli screamy frame.
    As I'm in assembling by myself, and I'll go with a 1'1/8'' straight fork, which Headset should I use?
    Is the head tube 1-1/8" ZeroStack top (44mm inside diameter) and 1.5" ZeroStack bottom (55.9mm inside diameter)?
    It is listed as 50mm which I assume to be traditional (49.6). Cane Creek sells the uppers/lowers separate and has a reducer lower bearing.
    EDIT: Yes, the upper is a Zerostack.

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    so what's the actual BB height w/ a 140 mm fork and 2.4 inch ardents or similar tires? from the geo chart, it should be around 12.5 inches or a bit more, which is still plenty low enough.

    i'm still on the fence about whether a 140 mm 29er fork w/ only 32 mm stanchions is worth getting.

    no warranty issues with running a 140 on the yelli?
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    270
    no warranty issues with running a 140 on the yelli?[/QUOTE]

    No worries- Go for it. The Yelli Screamy's are tough.
    C2

  14. #164
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    so what's the actual BB height w/ a 140 mm fork and 2.4 inch ardents or similar tires? from the geo chart, it should be around 12.5 inches or a bit more, which is still plenty low enough.

    i'm still on the fence about whether a 140 mm 29er fork w/ only 32 mm stanchions is worth getting.
    I think my YS with Marz 140 and Neve 2.2 (fairly good sized 2.2) is about 12.6...not sure exactly, but definitely less than 12.75. Sorry for the somewhat nebulous answer, but my bike is 1500 miles away...preventing any precise measuring.

    Re: stiffness. I find the Marz to be a pretty stiff chassis...of course it is a tapered steerer which probably helps too. Not sure of any of the other 29er offerings...although, my Marz 140 29er is stiffer than my Minute 100 26er (1 1/8 steerer).
    Extreme stationary biker.

  15. #165
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    so what's the actual BB height w/ a 140 mm fork and 2.4 inch ardents or similar tires? from the geo chart, it should be around 12.5 inches or a bit more, which is still plenty low enough.
    My measured BB on a Sinister Simon Bar (same 70mm BB drop) with 2.25 Bontrager tires and Zoke 44 140mm fork is 13" Don't know how much that helps, but I think it is a valid comparison because the geometry with the exception of chain stay length is pretty similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  16. #166
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,519
    Are you sure the Simon Bar is 70mm? That's 2.75". They list the height as 12.7", which, with a tire measuring 29.5" would be right around 2", or 50mm of drop...

  17. #167
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Are you sure the Simon Bar is 70mm? That's 2.75". They list the height as 12.7", which, with a tire measuring 29.5" would be right around 2", or 50mm of drop...
    70mm is an actual measurement on my bike with a 465mm fork. It would be a little less with a 480 fork to be comparable to the YS. (I just went to the garage and checked it again )

    I have never found a reliable geometry chart from Sinister despite asking multiple times. I think the bike has changed in various production runs, but no one seems to know exactly how much. Well, I am sure the Sinister guys know but they have not exactly been generous with the information. Maybe that 50mm of drop is with a 120mm fork? I love that Canfield puts such a great specific geometry in this thread and I want to buy one simply because of that.

    But....I need a single speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    70mm is an actual measurement on my bike with a 465mm fork. It would be a little less with a 480 fork to be comparable to the YS. (I just went to the garage and checked it again )

    I have never found a reliable geometry chart from Sinister despite asking multiple times. I think the bike has changed in various production runs, but no one seems to know exactly how much. Well, I am sure the Sinister guys know but they have not exactly been generous with the information. Maybe that 50mm of drop is with a 120mm fork? I love that Canfield puts such a great specific geometry in this thread and I want to buy one simply because of that.

    But....I need a single speed.
    email Frank the Welder or PM him here (verticult) - I'm sure he knows what is what between the various batches he produced for Sinister.

    Go straight to the source!

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    70mm is an actual measurement on my bike with a 465mm fork. It would be a little less with a 480 fork to be comparable to the YS. (I just went to the garage and checked it again )

    I have never found a reliable geometry chart from Sinister despite asking multiple times. I think the bike has changed in various production runs, but no one seems to know exactly how much. Well, I am sure the Sinister guys know but they have not exactly been generous with the information. Maybe that 50mm of drop is with a 120mm fork? I love that Canfield puts such a great specific geometry in this thread and I want to buy one simply because of that.

    But....I need a single speed.
    thanks. BB heights are notorious for ending up different than mfg'er claims. The Canfield geo chart truly is a model for what other companies should be providing. I've heard conflicting info on the Sinister geo variations...why they still have the steep HA on their website is beyond me (laziness?) but I haven't checked there in a while.

    btw if you need a single speed but like the Canfield geo, why not install a forward components mini EBB.? http://www.forwardcycle.com/ They've been out long enough that I figured I'd get one next year if i decided to go from 1X6 to single speed on a frame like this.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

  20. #170
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,623
    Isn't the Nimble 9 going to have sliders for single speed ?

  21. #171
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    btw if you need a single speed but like the Canfield geo, why not install a forward components mini EBB.? http://www.forwardcycle.com/ They've been out long enough that I figured I'd get one next year if i decided to go from 1X6 to single speed on a frame like this.
    I took things into my own hands.

    I looked at the current Sinister web page and the geo listed there is nothing like my bike. Mine is much slacker and the TT is shorter by an inch. It is very close the the Yelli Screamy and it rides awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  22. #172
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    70mm is an actual measurement on my bike with a 465mm fork. It would be a little less with a 480 fork to be comparable to the YS. (I just went to the garage and checked it again )

    I have never found a reliable geometry chart from Sinister despite asking multiple times. I think the bike has changed in various production runs, but no one seems to know exactly how much. Well, I am sure the Sinister guys know but they have not exactly been generous with the information. Maybe that 50mm of drop is with a 120mm fork? I love that Canfield puts such a great specific geometry in this thread and I want to buy one simply because of that.

    But....I need a single speed.

    Here you go:

    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum...ead.php?t=1115
    What fork to use on a Sinister Simon Bar?

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    769
    Who knows the seatpost clamp diameter? it's the only thing not listed in the specs

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    anyone w/ a Large frame and a 120 mm fork, can you confirm that the wheelbase is around 44 inches? I'm estimating based on the geo .pdf.
    Last edited by frorider; 11-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by savo
    Who knows the seatpost clamp diameter? it's the only thing not listed in the specs
    34.9mm for the clamp and 30.9 post-
    C2

  26. #176
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,808
    If anybody near philly gets a small or medium I'd gladly trade a choice 6 pack for a 60 second test ride. Don't even need to ride on a trail, a parking lot would be fine.

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    175
    For those of you wanting single speed, 32X21 is perfect with this chainstay length and NO TENSIONER:

    http://thepathbikeshop.com/blog/2010...i-screamy.html

  28. #178
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by pureslop
    For those of you wanting single speed, 32X21 is perfect with this chainstay length and NO TENSIONER:

    http://thepathbikeshop.com/blog/2010...i-screamy.html
    Very nice!! That's my gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Got my Yelli Screamy built up yesterday. I'm gonna take it out for a spin today and try to snap a few pics of it too.

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Very nice!! That's my gear.
    Very nice indeed! Did you check the weight on that bike too? Just a tad over 23 pounds...hot damn!

  31. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by naya the dingo
    Got my Yelli Screamy built up yesterday. I'm gonna take it out for a spin today and try to snap a few pics of it too.

    I'm really happy with my Yelli Screamy. I'll try to get a pic or two up, but that may not happen until Monday.

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Okay, here it is. Most of the parts came off of my Rocky Mountain Vertex SE. I'm planning on swapping the 100mm fork to a 120mm tapered Fox. If I feel like I want it slacker, I'll go for an external lower headset. I also have a Chris King/Salsa Gordo wheelset being built, waiting on CK to anodize another batch of gold. Sorry for the crappy pics, I took them with my phone.










  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bonesetter2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,756
    Very nice indeed

    Love the non drive side profile, ST/BB reinforcer and the short rear. Looks fit for purpose

  34. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Very nice indeed

    Love the non drive side profile, ST/BB reinforcer and the short rear. Looks fit for purpose

    Thanks! I'm really pleased with this bike. The frame is much stiffer laterally than my Rocky Mountain Vertex, but it is more compliant.

  35. #185
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,351
    Looks nice, but a bit weird with those racey/XC tyres I think more along the lines of Rampages, Bonti 29-4s, Ardents 2.4" etc on something like the Yelli, but then again my idea of XC geo has changed since I got my Paradox, could easily use it for XC.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Looks nice, but a bit weird with those racey/XC tyres I think more along the lines of Rampages, Bonti 29-4s, Ardents 2.4" etc on something like the Yelli, but then again my idea of XC geo has changed since I got my Paradox, could easily use it for XC.

    Yeah, I'm putting a pair of 2.4" Ardents on the new wheels when they are ready. Those 2.2" Race Kings already roll all over the place on the narrow 355's, I'm a bit of a clyde at 6'3" 280lbs.

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    977
    Looks good :-) How does it climb?

  38. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,598
    Quote Originally Posted by naya the dingo
    Okay, here it is. Most of the parts came off of my Rocky Mountain Vertex SE. I'm planning on swapping the 100mm fork to a 120mm tapered Fox. If I feel like I want it slacker, I'll go for an external lower headset. I also have a Chris King/Salsa Gordo wheelset being built, waiting on CK to anodize another batch of gold. Sorry for the crappy pics, I took them with my phone.









    Looks great!

  39. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Looks good :-) How does it climb?

    So far, so good! I haven't ridden any real super steep technical climbs yet, but I feel like it'll be fine. May require a little seat rape on the real steep stuff, but I couldn't possibly have to move as far forward on the saddle as my Intense 6.6 though.

    Edit: I should add that I got my local shop to order the frame from Canfield for me. It cost the same, and I got to support the shop too! Anyone in the Richmond, VA area, go see Jesse at 3Sports.

  40. #190
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    WTF is right!

    humor misunderstood

    //lurk mode on.......
    Last edited by slocaus; 11-22-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: attempt to undo LnYx's knickers in a twist
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  41. #191
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,351
    Careful or you might give yourself an anurism and this time not be so lucky
    BTW, has all that trouble you had caused you vision to be bad, or can you simply not read right? BTW the OP seemed to agree with me on this point, so WTF is your problem, can a person not have their own opinion and share it and not gush over someone's bike and still be a good person. Now go take some blood thinners or something.

    LyNx=I think more along the lines of Rampages, Bonti 29-4s, Ardents 2.4" etc on something like the Yelli,

    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    No, do what LyNx says! Gotta GOTTA GOTTA be Rampages, use Ardents and you will die, or at least fudge up the space / time continuum. Everyone has to ride like him...... (gotta have lots of head banging too.....)

    Sweet bike ,from what I can see of the pics. (I have to scroll right left up down to try to get them on my laptop they are so big. I cannot get a full view of the bike on screen.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  42. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    I still haven't gotten my new wheelset yet, but I threw a pair of 2.4 Ardents on the YS and headed to Asheville, NC to visit some friends on Friday. We rode Pisgah (Mills River area I think) on Saturday, and Dupont on Sunday. I am absolutely in love with this bike, super fun and confidence inspiring. I got a chance to test it's climbing abilities more thoroughly this weekend, even with the short stem it climbs great. I wish we had taken a camera with us, maybe next time.

  43. #193
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by naya the dingo
    I still haven't gotten my new wheelset yet, but I threw a pair of 2.4 Ardents on the YS and headed to Asheville, NC to visit some friends on Friday. We rode Pisgah (Mills River area I think) on Saturday, and Dupont on Sunday. I am absolutely in love with this bike, super fun and confidence inspiring. I got a chance to test it's climbing abilities more thoroughly this weekend, even with the short stem it climbs great. I wish we had taken a camera with us, maybe next time.

    Does the 2.4 Ardent clear good in the rear w no interference with the FD or chain in the granny gears ? TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation: naya the dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Does the 2.4 Ardent clear good in the rear w no interference with the FD or chain in the granny gears ? TIG.
    Yeah, the 2.4 clears no problem. I trimmed the dérailleur arm off and you can run any gear combo with no rubbing. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it tomorrow.

  45. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,491
    I had a chance to spend the day on a Yelli Screamy Saturday with Chris Canfiled, this is one fun bike to ride.

    I fired off an email last week inquiring about the frame and decided to ask if there was anything in my area to ride. Just by luck, Chris was in the area and offered to hook up for a ride. To be honest, I expected him to skip out as we were meeting at the crack of dawn and the weather forecast really sucked, but what do you know, he showed up ready to ride and the weather turned out pretty good after all.

    As for the bike, by far the best 29er hardtail I've ridden so far, it was like they designed this frame to be ridden on my local trails, Lots of Tight and twisty, up and downs. The short chainstays were very evident, it handled the tight twisty trails superbly and made my SS rigid Niner Sir9 feel like a tank. The rear end just followed you around any corner you pointed the front wheel down. The medium Yelli Screamy I rode easily out weighed my Niner by several pounds and was built up with a Fox 32 F29 set at 80mm, riser bars, 70mm stem, 3x9 gearing and Kenda Small Block 8s.
    In the air the bike felt very stable and everything I went off of I landed with confidence, not that I was going big. It was also very easy to pump the rolls/small bumps and drive it into the burms.

    On the climbs, which we did a lot of, the front end did not wander. I was kind of concerned as I could easily manual the Yelli over bumps on the trails or puddles on the road. It was very easy to loft the front end over the many log overs that seem to be prevalent at our local trails. The 80mm fork that was on this bike could also contribute to the front end staying planted on the climbs. The one thing I found tuff about this bike was standing and climbing, I'm not sure why, but climbing seated seemed to work best.

    The build quality is nice. I didn't go over the bike with a magnifying glass, but everything looked well thought out.

    I was amazed by how well the Yelli Screamy rode and out performed my Niner by a long shot, and I'm by no means a techy bike geek. The Yelli Screamy is aluminum and I could definitely feel the difference between this and my steel Niner, but I would gladly take the handling characteristics of the Canflied over the Niners steel compliance any day.

    Hopefully I will have my frame in the next month or so and the bike completely built up by the spring.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 11-29-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  46. #196
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I had a chance to spend the day on a Yelli Screamy Saturday with Chris Canfiled, this is one fun bike to ride.....Hopefully I will have my frame in the next month or so and the bike completely built up by the spring.
    Nice. It really is THAT fun. Seriously.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  47. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bonesetter2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,756
    He he, yes I went from a SIR9 to a ('similar') Banshee Paradox

  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wobbem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    567
    I think Cranfield have dialled 29er spot on with this frame, great looking bike.

  49. #199
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,557
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    The one thing I found tuff about this bike was standing and climbing, I'm not sure why, but climbing seated seemed to work best.
    OHM, can you elaborate on this? I was just thinking how the long TT and short chainstays might contribute to decent performance when standing & climbing. I remember 13 years ago learning to purposefully pull up on my bars while pushing on the cranks to get the most climbing traction out of the semi-slick mtb tires on my old Performance HT. Those tires were a bad idea in so many ways, but I digress. The point is, I felt like I was levering the rear end into dirt around the bottom bracket. In my mind it seemed like there would be a sweet spot for chainstay length while doing this: too long and you loose mechanical advantage, too short and it is wheelies when you need them the least. In any case, my Karate Monkey SS, with its 17" chainstays (give or take a half inch - my rear wheel is in mid position), seems to strike a decent balance. Although that distinct levering feeling is hard to detect now - the Performance definitely had longer stays. I wonder if the Canfield crosses over into being too short for standing & climbing? I realize my reminiscing about an old bike is not very interesting, but some more adjectives and observations about climbing on the Yelli certainly would be. Hook us up, yo!
    Responds to gravity

  50. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    OHM, can you elaborate on this? I was just thinking how the long TT and short chainstays might contribute to decent performance when standing & climbing. I remember 13 years ago learning to purposefully pull up on my bars while pushing on the cranks to get the most climbing traction out of the semi-slick mtb tires on my old Performance HT. Those tires were a bad idea in so many ways, but I digress. The point is, I felt like I was levering the rear end into dirt around the bottom bracket. In my mind it seemed like there would be a sweet spot for chainstay length while doing this: too long and you loose mechanical advantage, too short and it is wheelies when you need them the least. In any case, my Karate Monkey SS, with its 17" chainstays (give or take a half inch - my rear wheel is in mid position), seems to strike a decent balance. Although that distinct levering feeling is hard to detect now - the Performance definitely had longer stays. I wonder if the Canfield crosses over into being too short for standing & climbing? I realize my reminiscing about an old bike is not very interesting, but some more adjectives and observations about climbing on the Yelli certainly would be. Hook us up, yo!

    I had on a set of Small block 8's on his Demo bike and it was really wet. I bet he had no traction.
    I love the shorter stays- And, I prefer the the Nimble 9 set at about 16.3 SS the best.

    Just wait til you ride one-

    C2

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •