Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    After a month on my bike, I can say I am really liking it. It's the only 29er I've ridden. Changes since I originally built it, trimmed the downpull arm off the fr der and that's it. I'm more of a gravity guy and have always ridden more slack bikes. I wouldn't go any steeper than this bike but that is definitely a personal opinion and riding style. I have 2.25 Ardents on right now. They are fine but I would be interested in trying something bigger too. I don't think a Weirwolf LT will clear in the back but something wide and fast is going to get the nod when these tires are done. Here's a rerun pic because no one has posted it in Johnny Cash.

Slightly askew
    I've been on my yelli for about 3 weeks now. This bike is really smooth. Taken it to Pisgah 4x and it handles the tech quite well. Specs- lg silver Yelli, Reba maxle lite set at 100mm(temp) I9s, SLX cranks.
    Zero charisma

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerthanmilhouse
    I've been on my yelli for about 3 weeks now. This bike is really smooth.
    Nice! I have been riding my Yelli at 140mm (started at 100mm) recently and I really dig it. It is a fun bike.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Nice! I have been riding my Yelli at 140mm (started at 100mm) recently and I really dig it. It is a fun bike.
    Slacker is better!

MTB B'dos
    I bet Is that the same Marz you originally snagged for it? Since I got my Pdox I've come to think of running it with a 120mm fork as XC mode Would love to give a 140mm a try. Any vids from either of you guys who've been riding these things for a bit?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Slacker is better!
    No doubt! Even with the Yelli at 67 degrees, it is the steepest HA bike I've had in quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Is that the same Marz you originally snagged for it?
    Yes, it is the 44 TST2. It was a decent fork at 100mm, but at 140 some unwanted traits are accentuated. With the tapered steerer it is a VERY stiff chassis, but the TST2 cart lacks some of the sublties of higher end forks (duh!). I need to get off my a$$ and get some (MOAR?) shims and convert the damper. The TST2 really could use some help, especially at 140. I still think it will end up being a great adjustable fork, especially for the price.

No vids from me and I won't have any anytime soon either as I'm at work (in AK...I live in WA) for another several weeks .

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I'm hoping that when Banshee redesigns the P'dox they slack it out a degree or two. I think 67-68 should be the new HA for anything not XC, STA it would seem is super personal.
    No doubt! Even with the Yelli at 67 degrees, it is the steepest HA bike I've had in quite awhile.
    Yeah, I bet it sucks to be up in Alaska to work Snap some pics for those of us who don't get to see places like that. Which part of AK you at?
    Yes, it is the 44 TST2. It was a decent fork at 100mm, but at 140 some unwanted traits are accentuated. With the tapered steerer it is a VERY stiff chassis, but the TST2 cart lacks some of the sublties of higher end forks (duh!). I need to get off my a$$ and get some (MOAR?) shims and convert the damper. The TST2 really could use some help, especially at 140. I still think it will end up being a great adjustable fork, especially for the price.

No vids from me and I won't have any anytime soon either as I'm at work (in AK...I live in WA) for another several weeks .
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yeah, I bet it sucks to be up in Alaska to work Snap some pics for those of us who don't get to see places like that. Which part of AK you at?
    While this is not a recent photo (and a different location than I am in currently), it does illustrate how all is not peaches and cream working in Alaska. YMMV.

Yelli Screamy  by Canfield ?-yee_haw_.jpg

PS - Yes, that road is constructed with frozen water.

trail rat
    While this is not a recent photo (and a different location than I am in currently), it does illustrate how all is not peaches and cream working in Alaska. YMMV.

PS - Yes, that road is constructed with frozen water.
    I'm thinking I just got some insight into your sig!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Hallo!
    So I'm going to order a Yelli screamy frame.
    As I'm in assembling by myself, and I'll go with a 1'1/8'' straight fork, which Headset should I use?
    Is the head tube 1-1/8" ZeroStack top (44mm inside diameter) and 1.5" ZeroStack bottom (55.9mm inside diameter)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by savo
    Hallo!
    So I'm going to order a Yelli screamy frame.
    As I'm in assembling by myself, and I'll go with a 1'1/8'' straight fork, which Headset should I use?
    Is the head tube 1-1/8" ZeroStack top (44mm inside diameter) and 1.5" ZeroStack bottom (55.9mm inside diameter)?
    It is listed as 50mm which I assume to be traditional (49.6). Cane Creek sells the uppers/lowers separate and has a reducer lower bearing.
    EDIT: Yes, the upper is a Zerostack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    so what's the actual BB height w/ a 140 mm fork and 2.4 inch ardents or similar tires? from the geo chart, it should be around 12.5 inches or a bit more, which is still plenty low enough.

i'm still on the fence about whether a 140 mm 29er fork w/ only 32 mm stanchions is worth getting.

no warranty issues with running a 140 on the yelli?
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    no warranty issues with running a 140 on the yelli?[/QUOTE]

No worries- Go for it. The Yelli Screamy's are tough.
    C2

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    so what's the actual BB height w/ a 140 mm fork and 2.4 inch ardents or similar tires? from the geo chart, it should be around 12.5 inches or a bit more, which is still plenty low enough.

i'm still on the fence about whether a 140 mm 29er fork w/ only 32 mm stanchions is worth getting.
    I think my YS with Marz 140 and Neve 2.2 (fairly good sized 2.2) is about 12.6...not sure exactly, but definitely less than 12.75. Sorry for the somewhat nebulous answer, but my bike is 1500 miles away...preventing any precise measuring.

Re: stiffness. I find the Marz to be a pretty stiff chassis...of course it is a tapered steerer which probably helps too. Not sure of any of the other 29er offerings...although, my Marz 140 29er is stiffer than my Minute 100 26er (1 1/8 steerer).

Powered by ice cream.
    My measured BB on a Sinister Simon Bar (same 70mm BB drop) with 2.25 Bontrager tires and Zoke 44 140mm fork is 13" Don't know how much that helps, but I think it is a valid comparison because the geometry with the exception of chain stay length is pretty similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

is buachail foighneach me
    Are you sure the Simon Bar is 70mm? That's 2.75". They list the height as 12.7", which, with a tire measuring 29.5" would be right around 2", or 50mm of drop...

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Are you sure the Simon Bar is 70mm? That's 2.75". They list the height as 12.7", which, with a tire measuring 29.5" would be right around 2", or 50mm of drop...
    70mm is an actual measurement on my bike with a 465mm fork. It would be a little less with a 480 fork to be comparable to the YS. (I just went to the garage and checked it again )

I have never found a reliable geometry chart from Sinister despite asking multiple times. I think the bike has changed in various production runs, but no one seems to know exactly how much. Well, I am sure the Sinister guys know but they have not exactly been generous with the information. Maybe that 50mm of drop is with a 120mm fork? I love that Canfield puts such a great specific geometry in this thread and I want to buy one simply because of that.

But....I need a single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    70mm is an actual measurement on my bike with a 465mm fork. It would be a little less with a 480 fork to be comparable to the YS. (I just went to the garage and checked it again )

I have never found a reliable geometry chart from Sinister despite asking multiple times. I think the bike has changed in various production runs, but no one seems to know exactly how much. Well, I am sure the Sinister guys know but they have not exactly been generous with the information. Maybe that 50mm of drop is with a 120mm fork? I love that Canfield puts such a great specific geometry in this thread and I want to buy one simply because of that.

email Frank the Welder or PM him here (verticult) - I'm sure he knows what is what between the various batches he produced for Sinister.

Go straight to the source!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

thanks. BB heights are notorious for ending up different than mfg'er claims. The Canfield geo chart truly is a model for what other companies should be providing. I've heard conflicting info on the Sinister geo variations...why they still have the steep HA on their website is beyond me (laziness?) but I haven't checked there in a while.

btw if you need a single speed but like the Canfield geo, why not install a forward components mini EBB.? http://www.forwardcycle.com/ They've been out long enough that I figured I'd get one next year if i decided to go from 1X6 to single speed on a frame like this.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Isn't the Nimble 9 going to have sliders for single speed ?

Powered by ice cream.
    btw if you need a single speed but like the Canfield geo, why not install a forward components mini EBB.? http://www.forwardcycle.com/ They've been out long enough that I figured I'd get one next year if i decided to go from 1X6 to single speed on a frame like this.
    I took things into my own hands.

I looked at the current Sinister web page and the geo listed there is nothing like my bike. Mine is much slacker and the TT is shorter by an inch. It is very close the the Yelli Screamy and it rides awesome.

is buachail foighneach me

Here you go:

http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum...ead.php?t=1115
    What fork to use on a Sinister Simon Bar?

mtbr member
    Who knows the seatpost clamp diameter? it's the only thing not listed in the specs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    anyone w/ a Large frame and a 120 mm fork, can you confirm that the wheelbase is around 44 inches? I'm estimating based on the geo .pdf.
    Last edited by frorider; 11-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo
    Who knows the seatpost clamp diameter? it's the only thing not listed in the specs
    34.9mm for the clamp and 30.9 post-
    C2

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If anybody near philly gets a small or medium I'd gladly trade a choice 6 pack for a 60 second test ride. Don't even need to ride on a trail, a parking lot would be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For those of you wanting single speed, 32X21 is perfect with this chainstay length and NO TENSIONER:

http://thepathbikeshop.com/blog/2010...i-screamy.html