Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The one thing that I'd like to know with slack angled 29er like this is are they on the slow side of handling or do the short stays balance it out? With many of the production 29ers out there it seems that 71 to 72 degrees heat tube angle seems to be the norm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    The one thing that I'd like to know with slack angled 29er like this is are they on the slow side of handling or do the short stays balance it out? With many of the production 29ers out there it seems that 71 to 72 degrees heat tube angle seems to be the norm
    probably a similar difference in handling between slack 26" am hardtails and 26" xc hardtails that often have steeper angles too

no offense, but many people tend to think of 29ers more as a category of bikes than as a wheel size that can be applied to different categories of bikes. Short stays can make a bike feel more "lively", "playful" or "nimble" and you will be able to turn the bike a bit easier with your body, but the steering alone will still be slower and will force you to use your body more to be maneuverable

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Very interesting bike for sure and as Enel said, the geo chart really does give you everything and see what your particular size frame will actually look like, HOWEVER, too bad they have a web designer who doesn't seem to think that anyone uses over a 1024 resolution for their monitors I can hardly read the type on my 17" wide screen @ 1650 x 1050 and it's a jpeg, so you can't even scale it up using the font scaling feature in most browsers these days.
    Sweet. Coolest most exciting bike to be posted in a long time and you rag on the web developer and how it is posted on them internets! Almost feels like DC got into some Jamaican ganga and hijacked your account....... wanna borrow my bifocals? hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    Hopefully we'll get a ride report from a credible source like twentynineinches.com soon as I'd love to see how it performs
    Yep, hucking that long travel All Mountain bike across the huge drops and gnarly rock strewn descents of the Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska lands with the 5000 vertical foot 15 mile descents after climbing to the sky all morning..... oh, wait. Uh......
    Last edited by slocaus; 08-22-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Yep, hucking that long travel All Mountain bike across the huge drops and gnarly rock strewn descents of the Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska lands with the 5000 vertical foot 15 mile descents after climbing to the sky all morning..... oh, wait. Uh......
    You know that there are contributors to TNI from other locales, right? Just checking.

mtbr member

Yelli Screamy by Canfield?

The head-tube length on the XL is about an inch too short.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by <-meathucker->
    I'm sure as long as there is a free bike involved we will get a glowing review from twentynineinches.com
    Guitar Ted is probably too nice to respond, but I am not. That is a direct attack on the character of the writer/testers at that site, including myself. Not cool, especially since the review commentaries do not bear this out.

You are way off here and your character is showing.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    You know that there are contributors to TNI from other locales, right? Just checking.
    Yes, and I forgot the smilie (fixt, uh... ). Not every bike you test is prefect for your test conditions, given your ability to travel the globe with your $$$ million dollar test budget was what I was trying to say. Even though the Canfield Bros might be a little biased , but I feel they are better qualified to test this one; I doubt mikesee or buddies will fly this to its limits, let alone the 29".com crew. Just sayin'...
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Yes, and I forgot the smilie (fixt, uh... ). Not every bike you test is prefect for your test conditions, given your ability to travel the globe with your $$$ million dollar test budget was what I was trying to say. Even though the Canfield Bros might be a little biased , but I feel they are better qualified to test this one; I doubt mikesee or buddies will fly this to its limits, let alone the 29".com crew. Just sayin'...
    No worries, Tim. I told GT all about you

And I agree...I am certainly not the perfect test rider for this type of bike, seeing as how you and I like the same type of rides/bikes.

Maybe I should buy some elbow/knee pads and a FF helmet? Nah.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Guitar Ted is probably too nice to respond, but I am not. That is a direct attack on the character of the writer/testers at that site, including myself. Not cool, especially since the review commentaries do not bear this out.

You are way off here and your character is showing.
    Sorry if you somehow got the vibe that I cared what you thought of my character...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    probably a similar difference in handling between slack 26" am hardtails and 26" xc hardtails that often have steeper angles too

no offense, but many people tend to think of 29ers more as a category of bikes than as a wheel size that can be applied to different categories of bikes. Short stays can make a bike feel more "lively", "playful" or "nimble" and you will be able to turn the bike a bit easier with your body, but the steering alone will still be slower and will force you to use your body more to be maneuverable
    +1

Spot on

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbadams
    The head-tube length on the XL is about an inch too short.
    I've got the same issue with the seat tube I wouldn't be able to run an adjustable seatpost on this. I prefer some of the features of this over the Paradox (Tapered, direct mount) but the geometry isn't going to work for me.

local trails rider
    Geometry pictures for the smaller sizes say ISCG mounts (03?) but the larger ones don't. It is not in the photos either.

What is correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin
    Good info., thanks. I saw the build thread on your bike, and it's sweet. With similar HA to the canefield, your advice on the Talas will be considered. By the way, what's the bb height on your new bike?
    12.25 at 100mm. I find it to be perfect so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    +1

Spot on

+2 This geo really responds best to a more "DH" style of riding. Full commitment, lots of body english, toss it in and ride the rear wheel out......When you treat it like that it simply rips the way now long stayed steep angled frame can. All depends on how active you like to be on the bike. My .02c

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is very relevant to my interests. (lets see some pics of a complete bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    +1

Spot on
    +2
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does anyone have an idea on rear tire capacity? It looks like the Rockshox seatpost will be long enough for me. So, it's back in the running for finding a home beneath my Christmas tree if I can fit good sized rubber in it.

Don't mess with a 29er
    ...is it just me or does the design of the ultra short chainstays bear a striking resemblance with the BY:STICKEL custom frames?!? Don't know if Canfield Brothers deliberately intended to copy it or anything but I still think Steve was first and he deserves some credit

The PhatSchtickel!!!!
    HammerSchtickel!!!!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/steel-all-mountain-29er-626609.html#post7015325

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No he's not

Quote Originally Posted by megalow maniac
    ...is it just me or does the design of the ultra short chainstays bear a striking resemblance with the BY:STICKEL custom frames?!? Don't know if Canfield Brothers deliberately intended to copy it or anything but I still think Steve was first and he deserves some credit

The PhatSchtickel!!!!
    HammerSchtickel!!!!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7015325
    Maybe the first you are aware of though.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Nobody has a pic of one built up, proto or otherwise?

local trails rider
    There's a few more detail pics at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9338821...7624667083519/

But no built up

The German site has a pic of the frame in silver:

http://www.canfieldbrothers.de/site_de.html

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by megalow maniac
    ...is it just me or does the design of the ultra short chainstays bear a striking resemblance with the BY:STICKEL custom frames?!?

Good point.....looks like a nice frame to reintroduce me back into the HT scene without spending alot of coin ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

small member
    Jun 2006
    personnally 'm more interested in seeing the gold and silver options than a built up...

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the links looks good in silver as well...

Delirious Tuck
    69* on a 29er = cheating in the tech. I know, my BS RAM devours rock gardens like they're not there, and with a shorter stem, those short stays should mean pulling ledgey ups are e-z and climbs are balanced... also that 69* HTA will make the downs delicious as well.

Well done canfields!

Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast