mtbr member

Yank wants to crank, needs help from Euro boys

Hi Guys,
    It's been a while since I've posted or even been lurking but now I come to you for help.
    I've got a trip in early June taking me to Brussels then Munich.
    I could squeeze a day on either end to ride but haven't a clue of where or how.
    I've seen a few riding areas refered to on the Trails/Other/Europe/Other review butr what I'm really lacking is any hard info about a good shop where I can rent a nice MTB and crank off some single track.
    I know several of the regulars are somehwat local to the area and was hoping for some help from my 9er brethren.
    I'd love the bike to be a 29er but I'd be happy to find anything that's not some tourist clunker hybrid.
    Course if that's all I can find I'll hop on one of those just to get a spin in and see the sights!
    Thanks if you can help!
    Steve

Recovering couch patato
    Not sure if your schedule would allow it, but a good hour East of Brussels are the Belgian Ardennes, a hill/mountainrange with ridable peaks towering some 400m over the valleys. A very MTB-friendly region, used to tourism, because of it's close proximity to the flatlands of Holland and Belgium.
    From the town of Coo for instance, various mapped trails start. Bike rent is relatively common, I know at least in Houffalize there's a bike rental, although I've not been there.

In Munich you're on the doorstep of the Alps, go "a few" kms south and you're in Switserland and Austria, with peaks of 3000m. Options are vast there. But also north of Munich, there's some serious hilly terrain, but with rather wide valleys, at leas the ones I've seen. Munich itself is barely inspiring IMO, anything around it should be god though.

mtbr member

Thanks Cloxx, what about North of Brussels / Holland?

Thanks Cloxx,
    I'll have to see if I could manage that. May have to ride the "flatlands" around Brussels, Antwerp, or possibly into Holland.
    If anybody could tell me anything about that area, especially bike availability, I'd be in your debt!
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Not sure if your schedule would allow it, but a good hour East of Brussels are the Belgian Ardennes, a hill/mountainrange with ridable peaks towering some 400m over the valleys. A very MTB-friendly region, used to tourism, because of it's close proximity to the flatlands of Holland and Belgium.
    From the town of Coo for instance, various mapped trails start. Bike rent is relatively common, I know at least in Houffalize there's a bike rental, although I've not been there.

In Munich you're on the doorstep of the Alps, go "a few" kms south and you're in Switserland and Austria, with peaks of 3000m. Options are vast there. But also north of Munich, there's some serious hilly terrain, but with rather wide valleys, at leas the ones I've seen. Munich itself is barely inspiring IMO, anything around it should be god though.

Recovering couch patato
    I wouldn't know about bike rentals. The border of NL and BE is mostly flat singletrack and fireroad.
    Some mapped trails of good length east from Eindhoven, around Eersel/Bladel/Reusel.

Near Brussels, I think there's a trail at Oud-Heverlee, I used to have organisized rides there. Not sure if it exists outside Europe. For one day trails are arrowed to make a longer, unique route, so everyone can come ride for a small fee. These often use existing legal bike trails. Some climbing going on over there, enough to break a sweat.

East of Maastricht, Holland's most extreme trails are to be found. Visible hills, in the same region as where the Amstel Gold race is always held. The Gulpen route is the best probably, a surprise around every corner. It was a beotch on flatland-geared singlespeed. Keeps you busy for some 2 hours, and connects to others.

Bike rent would be "Mountainbike verhuur". "uu" sounding much like the u in UFO. You can forget finding a 29" bike, that's for sure :-) Well, maybe you'll find a Fisher shop that will use the demo bike for rentals.
    As the aera of Maastricht "Zuid Limburg" is extremely touristic, I bet you'll be able to get a bike there.

Let others chime in, I don't travel that much.

www.bikers.be is probably the best Belgian starting point. I think they also do GPS tracks and such. In their magazine they always print nice routes they've travelled with roadbook.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Neither are anywhere near me

but give me some dates that are a bit less vague and I may have a KM you could use in Gernany. Depending on when you are here you may also be able to go to the ESSC in Arhnem, on the 11th-12th of June. Let me know and we will see what we can work out. Ed

mtbr member

Awesome, e-mail me!

Quote Originally Posted by scarkinsmel
    but give me some dates that are a bit less vague and I may have a KM you could use in Gernany. Depending on when you are here you may also be able to go to the ESSC in Arhnem, on the 11th-12th of June. Let me know and we will see what we can work out. Ed
    Thanks for the reply, Ed.
    That's an awesome offer on the KM (I'm a Monkey owner as well).
    I can't think of anything more ideal then riding with someone local and if we work it out I shall certainly buy the post-ride brews!
    I am thinking to arrive Brussels June 4th in AM.
    Would ride there on Sun, June 5th.
    Finish business in Munich Friday June 10.
    What's the ESSC and how close is Arhnem to Munich?
    (I can't find that town in Germany on mapblast, is it spelled correctly, or is it not in Germany?)
    I could arrange to travel to and then leave from another city (e.g. Frankfurt) on Monday if I needed to.

Please send me an e-mail at steveATmtanembaDOTorg

Thanks!
    Steve