I have red hair

XXIX Pro - anyone try one yet??

Was wondering if anyone has bought/ridden the new XXIX Pro from Raleigh and what they thought about it??

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/xxix-pro/

It looks pretty sweet, 853 steel, reba, Sram X0, Elixir Carbon

Whadya think??

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How many did they even make?

I have red hair
    I'm not sure how many were made, that's why I'm posting, I wondered if anyone had even seen one in person, or if they were just an idea by Raleigh

29 some of the time...
    Who in their right mind is going to pony up $2k for a Raleigh? Hey, I am no snob. I rode the tar out of an XXIX +G for 2 seasons. I upgraded the spec a bit (hydros, better bar/stem). But that 2007 model was a steal. But once you get up into real money I would look elsewhere. At this price point you start having a lot of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than $2k. It's an 853 frame with full XO including Noir crankset, Crossmax wheels, etc. There's not a single part that couldn't be called top of the line.

I have red hair
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Who in their right mind is going to pony up $2k for a Raleigh?

Well, the Gary Fisher Ferrous runs at about $2200, but is spec'ed with X9, ok wheels, and an ok fork... so if you're assumption is correct that the Raleigh runs at $2K, you'd be a fool to go for anything else, IMO...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    $3995 I think is the price I saw

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDirtDawg
    $3995 I think is the price I saw
    that sounds a whole lot closer than 2k. its not what i would spend 4 grand on bike wise, but it is a really nice build.
    Winter is coming.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen
    I'm not sure how many were made, that's why I'm posting, I wondered if anyone had even seen one in person, or if they were just an idea by Raleigh
    These won't start showing up until sometime next month if my info is correct. The orders had to be in by November 1st 2008 to even get in on one. I was told probably less than a 100 were ordered. Raleigh is only going to fill orders made. No extras.

I've seen one and as has been said, they are top notch rigs in every sense. It may seem odd that it is a Raleigh, but these are basically a small batch of handmade high end bikes that if the branding was something a little more chic, no one would think twice about.

I have red hair
    Awesome, thanks for the info GT. The $4K price point sounded a little more in the ball park than $2K, and like you said, if it weren't for the headbadge nobody would think twice about it. Still a way sweet bike in my book

29 some of the time...
    Blah semantics

I guess I should have put who would pay over $2k for a Raleigh. Would that make yah pencil pushers happy I am not knocking the spec, I thought it looked sick. I just kind of shook my head thinking of the shops getting stuck with one in inventory. Sounds like with the special order that isn't likely to be an issue.

Do you know who is manufacturing the frames Ted?
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er

Do you know who is manufacturing the frames Ted?
    Not for sure. I would hazard a guess that it is the father/son Taiwanese duo that does high end small batch stuff out of their own factory. The same that did the first XXIX's.