Thread: XXIX Pro

mtbr member
    May 2004

XXIX Pro

Does anyone know what the retail on this bike is set at?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    $3999.99
    Mine is on order.
    Check it.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/xxix-pro/

mtbr member
    Wow, that's really "$$PRO$$"

Harmonius Wrench
    Yeah, pro price, but the spec is pretty much matching that price, so all in all, not a bad deal for what you are getting.

And added to that, the Raliegh rep I spoke with says they will likely only sell 20-25 company wide. Certainly, it will be a rare sight if you see one at a trailhead!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, that is high, regardless of the specs, which I did check out. I mean seriously, those XMax wheels cost them around $400 and the fork is around the same cost....probably $75-$100 less since they get OEM pricing. That is a crazy MSRP for an off-the-shelf Alu HT. No wonder they will only build 20-25.

Birthday Collector
    Not Alu, Air-hardened steel... Nice bike, but for that much $$ I would probably do a few other things first... And I love my XXIX SS. The no-name headset at this price is a slip-up too. I think for that money though, a SIR9 with a personal-part pick selection would be set-up more to my taste. I wonder if the'll sell the frame only...?
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Wow, that is high, regardless of the specs, which I did check out. I mean seriously, those XMax wheels cost them around $400 and the fork is around the same cost....probably $75-$100 less since they get OEM pricing. That is a crazy MSRP for an off-the-shelf Alu HT. No wonder they will only build 20-25.
    It's 853 Reynolds steel, not Aluminum.Still it is mucho money. Seems like you could buy parts off ebay & build up a bike for the came or less that would be comparable.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Recovering couch patato
    And the dealer is passing it on, making it ride ready, offering break-in re-checks free of charge?
    I don't see the buy-here button on the Raleigh site.
    Last edited by Cloxxki; 10-26-2008 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chromo/853 then? That is better but the value still isn't very good. For that price, you could get a similarly set up custom 853/Zona/Columbus 29er. Still...a really nice bike; just really overpriced.

Hardbooter
    It's got a nice component set, it looks very sharp, and it's limited.

I'd pay 4 grand if I had the money.

Harmonius Wrench
    On frame onlys: No.

I wish they would have, but the thinking was that they wouldn't be able to move too many, so they stuck to the limited edition model.

slow uphill
    if anyone wants to see one of these, feel free to check out my 07 XXIX that I'll be painting white.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sweet bike, but in my humble opinion they should have made it 40% of the price with X9 stuff instead. But nobody ever asks me.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Really nice. I'd have done it minus the oversize riser bar and quite likely rigid but like M_S, no one asks me either.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Dude, I'm sorry, but $4k is way much, IMO. It's a really nice bike, no doubt, but j*sus...it's not even carbon fiber. Seriously, isn't a similary spec'd Niner SIR9 or MCR9 like $1k less? Can't you get nice custom steel hardtail 29er for about the same, if not less?
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    Dude, I'm sorry, but $4k is way much, IMO. It's a really nice bike, no doubt, but j*sus...it's not even carbon fiber. Seriously, isn't a similary spec'd Niner SIR9 or MCR9 like $1k less? Can't you get nice custom steel hardtail 29er for about the same, if not less?
    But who really wants a 'throw away' mountain bike out of carbon anyway (is it obvious that I think carbon is silly for mountain bikes). Anyway... you're right that 4K is a lot of money but it's stacked with top-shelf parts (depending on your opinion) but without riding it, who really knows? The old Marin steel frames were some of the nicest riding stock bikes that I ever got the chance to ride. Then they went all Alu and started making those ugly fully's that they're so famous for.

Yes... I'm a retro-grouch.