Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009

XTR Trail or X.0. (3x10 vs. 2x10)

I am debating between the new XTR trail to SRAM's X.0.

The issue is with the fact I am able to get a 3x10 drive terrain on the XTR (which would be lighter then the 2x10 (26x29) X.0 setup).

I am not 100% sure how I would be able to handle the 2x10 setup although riding a 3x9 setup on the bike in question had me pedal in the middle ring most of the time and the rest using the big ring.

Your thoughts are welcomed...
    Ofir

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'll leave the gearing disputes of 2x vs. 3x alone, since I think it boils down to personal preference, but one thing I really love about Shimano is the Shadow rear derailleurs, and how little they stick out compared to SRAM stuff.

In the slightly more minor category, it is soooooo easy to swap shifter cables in an XT or XTR shifter. The XO's are a PITA.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I debated the same and went with XTR for the following reasons....

Online prices seem about the same? $200 difference or so
    I hate avid brakes and if you look at the brake forum you will see I am not alone
    I like the gearing on the 2x10 XTR Trail (38/26) and 11/36
    I like how the shifters and brakes can share one clamp..but I think that XO can also?

I am sure that both are great but I went with XTR.Trail

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3
    I debated the same and went with XTR for the following reasons....

Online prices seem about the same? $200 difference or so
    I hate avid brakes and if you look at the brake forum you will see I am not alone
    I like the gearing on the 2x10 XTR Trail (38/26) and 11/36
    I like how the shifters and brakes can share one clamp..but I think that XO can also?

I am sure that both are great but I went with XTR.Trail
    I have an offer that allows me to purchase XX at the price of XTR...
    Would that have made you change your mind?

Ofir

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    IMO it really only comes down to gearing. Can you handle riding in a bigger gear most of the time? If you aren't in your big ring 60+% of the time, stick to the 3X because you probably aren't strong enough. SRAM has put themselves in a corner with the 2X offerings. SRAM will be offering X0 with 3X 44-33-22.

In the 3X system your primary drive gear is your middle ring and in a 2X system your primary drive gear is now your big ring. That's a pretty large jump from 32t to 38+ teeth. It's actually why Shimano hasn't jumped on the 2X completely and the XTR trail "only" has a 38t big ring. Actually the XTR Trail 2X crank is the same as the 3X crank and you can swap the chainrings for a complete 3X setup. They did this because they believe with their testing that most people aren't strong enough for 2X cranks with a primary drive ring of 39t or 40t.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been debating this one for a while also. Pretty much set on XTR with the 26/38 chainrings.

Can anyone comment on the chainline with this setup. What I mean is, the 26/38 has a closer chainline than a true 2x crank (I think). How does this affect shifting?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs

Can anyone comment on the chainline with this setup. What I mean is, the 26/38 has a closer chainline than a true 2x crank (I think). How does this affect shifting?
    Actually The XTR Trail 2X crank (38/26) is the same crank as the triple and thus has the same 50mm chainline that the triple has. Only the 2X XTR Race crank has a narrower q factor and chainline which is IIRC 47mm. It has no effect on shifting.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think that 24/36 chainrings are the better choice. I ordered the Triple crank, i'll keep the 24 granny and i'll put on a 36 middleburn. This way i can use a lighter 11/34 cassette (maybe 11/32 in the future) and have more clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wanting to run 24/36 is the reason they still make a triple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33
    Actually The XTR Trail 2X crank (38/26) is the same crank as the triple and thus has the same 50mm chainline that the triple has. Only the 2X XTR Race crank has a narrower q factor and chainline which is IIRC 47mm. It has no effect on shifting.
    Shimano website says the XTR Trail Double is a 46.8mm chain line & the triple is a 50mm chain line. Add to that the double is also a 104/64mm BCD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33
    In the 3X system your primary drive gear is your middle ring and in a 2X system your primary drive gear is now your big ring. That's a pretty large jump from 32t to 38+ teeth. It's actually why Shimano hasn't jumped on the 2X completely and the XTR trail "only" has a 38t big ring. . . . They did this because they believe with their testing that most people aren't strong enough for 2X cranks with a primary drive ring of 39t or 40t.
    Wise stuff here in my experience. With a 2X10 or 2X9 setup, unless you want to be shifting your front chainring excessively you need to pick a big ring that you are comfortable with as your primary gear. Although I wish Shimano would hurry up with an XT double, I think there is some wisdom in sticking with the triple for the majority of riders. 2x10 is all the rage, but is certainly not for everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1234
    Shimano website says the XTR Trail Double is a 46.8mm chain line & the triple is a 50mm chain line
    That is not correct. The Trail double chainline is 50mm. Why? Because it uses the same M980 crank as the triple.

Chainline is measured to the middle chainring on a triple. On the trail double (M980) the big ring (38t) is in the same place as the middle ring (32t) on the M980 triple. You could argue that the chainline is slightly less but that just means you measured it differently. IE To the center of the two rings present and not the center of the crank. By this logic, simply removing your big ring from any Shimano 3X crank would give you a 46.8mm chainline. All Shimano mountain triple cranks have the same chainline and q factor except for the M985.

The M980 crank is a triple crank that either comes with 42-32-24 rings or 38-26 with room for a bash guard because there is nothing on the double where the big ring goes on the triple. Shimano did this because they figured there would be people that would buy the 38-26 and realize they want a triple and all they need to do is get the triple chainrings.

The M985 crank is the only Shimano dedicated double they make and it carries a real narrower chainline (48.8mm) and narrower q factor (3mm per side). My Shimano tech rep told me there is even confusion at Shimano about this. He also told me Shimano has no future plans at this time for a dedicated XT level 2X crank .