mtbr member
    Aug 2011

XTR Pedal Strikes To The Shin

I have been riding the latest version of Shimano's XTR pedal for the past year and although I really like the pedal the one gripe I have is the sharp edges on the pedal that inflict serious damage to my shins everytime I have the unfortunate luck of having the pedal strike my shin. Not that this happens often but I ride alot and race as well an inevitably every couple of months I come close to crashing or something else comes along where I end up getting whacked in the shin by my pedal. You would think they could do a better job of desiging the pedal to minimize sharp edges and recess the cleat mechansim so it is less likely to gouge your skin. Perhaps even add a rubber surface to minimize some of the shock? I would be willing to sacrifice a few grams for some sort of rubberized bumper to limit the damage they inflict every time they make hard contact with my body. Anyone else have this issue?

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I have been riding the latest version of Shimano's XTR pedal for the past year and although I really like the pedal the one gripe I have is the sharp edges on the pedal that inflict serious damage to my shins everytime I have the unfortunate luck of having the pedal strike my shin. Not that this happens often but I ride alot and race as well an inevitably every couple of months I come close to crashing or something else comes along where I end up getting whacked in the shin by my pedal. You would think they could do a better job of desiging the pedal to minimize sharp edges and recess the cleat mechansim so it is less likely to gouge your skin. Perhaps even add a rubber surface to minimize some of the shock? I would be willing to sacrifice a few grams for some sort of rubberized bumper to limit the damage they inflict every time they make hard contact with my body. Anyone else have this issue?
    You're clipped in right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    You're clipped in right?
    Obviously not. Talking about situations where things have gotten squirrley where you unclip to dab a foot to try to save yourself from a high speed corner slide out or perhaps you going over the handlebars but you manage to unclip and step out of the bike before you take a header. For anyone who has ridden alot I'm sure they know what I mean.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    Obviously not. Talking about situations where things have gotten squirrley where you unclip to dab a foot to try to save yourself from a high speed corner slide out or perhaps you going over the handlebars but you manage to unclip and step out of the bike before you take a header. For anyone who has ridden alot I'm sure they know what I mean.
    I know what you mean, but this is a known thing about aggressive biking. Extra bulkyness of a rubber "shell" around the pedals would make things awkward. Maybe you should look into knee/shin guards. I know plenty of people who ride clipless with shin guards for that reason.