mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Smile Xt Vs. Sram X9 Rip Build

Thoughts on which is better for my application? Building a size large Niner Rip 9 to handle a 230 pound giant. My riding is composed of pavement, hard pack covered with gravel, some rock gardens.

XT is an extra 200.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    New 10 speed Deore.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Depends on what you are used too. I am partial to shimano because all of my bikes have them but the sram items are much cheaper and x9 vs xt is no comparison to me. If you want to save bucks go with sram. For the RIP I would recommend a 2x10 though because 3 rings up front seems to have chain suck/stuck issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think it's personal preference to a degree, but I don't think you will be at all unhappy with X-9.

I switched over to the sram drivetrain years ago and have never gone back.

I simply think they work better (pull of cable is always snappy and direct).

And it's not that I haven't tried the new Shimano stuff, I have. I had to bear with 2011 XT all the way down Porc Rim and all it did the whole time was misshift, and yes, it was adjusted.

No matter your application, sram.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am riding the same bike as you and am 10 lb heavier. I am running an xtr front der set up on a race face crank and double ring with a bash. I am running a SRAM pc 991 NON hollow pin with a 980 mid cage rear cassette. No chain suck issues at all since I got rid of the 3rd ring! Prior to that, my experiences are that SRAM front derailluers are garbage! I have multiple friends that swear SRAM products are the best in the world, and ALL of them run shimano front derail due to x5,7, or 9 not functioning as cleanly as shimanos. Besides, the rip can ONLY be run with a shimano up front according to niners web site! I ran an x9 up front for 2 months and went through 3 chains due to suck. Good luck and know that the rip can and will get you into trouble because it sounds like that bike is way more capable than you based on where you ride! I have yet to get that bike into something itcant handle, but I have scared the hell outa myself because I knew the bike would get me through whatever I can throw at it, but my skills have almost caught up to the bike now!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Oops, meant a x9 midcage rear der with a 980 cassette. The mid cage will scare you a bit due to how close the chain is the the chainstay, but if you are running a double up front, there are no worries! If running a triple up front, I would recommend a long cage rear for more clearance and just make sure that you are aware of how low that rear is when you get into rock gardens!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    After reading fat kid's post, I got to thinking and realized that I have been running a shimano fr der for all these years.

Not out of performance or product bias, but because you can pick up the sram combos fairly easily which don't come with a front der, so I just continue to run my regular shimano. And, I can say that I have never had any problems with that either.

However, I must also add that my current bike has full x-9/x-0 2x10 and there are no shifting issues anywhere.

mtbr member

My X9 frony derailleur plays nice with my RIP 9

Just an fyi regrading 10 speed SRAM compatibility with the 2010 RIP 9. I have been runnning the X9 3 x 10 system on my medium 2010 RIP9 since September. I checked with Niner before purchasing the X9 triple system and they assured me that the X9 front derailleur/triple crankset was compatible with the 2010 RIP 9. So far, so good----I have had absolutely none of the reported and dreaded chain suck.

I would have opted for a 2 x 10 system but I wanted lower gearing for my regular visits to the Tahoe area (many of the climbs are quite long and steep).

Trail Junkie
    I have been riding X9 for quite a few years. It works well and seems to hold its adjustment a little better than the XTs I used in the past. I installed a Bikes Direct doner setup on my friend's Jet9 and it shifted really well (XT/XTR MIX). I prefer the SRAM system, and SRAM company. From the social perspective, SRAM does do quite a bit more in giving back to the biking communities than Shimano. They also operate much faster for warranties than Shimano.

Really though, it comes down to preference, but I am happy w/ my X9/X0 setup and don't see anything but shimano SPDs as my part specs in the future. Road bike is a different story. I have yet to try the Double-Tap system. I have been using the STIs und it has been solid...but that is for roadies.

Not to make a "well the pros use it so it has to be the best" point, but about 7% of the cycling teams using Shimano have switched to SRAM each year for the last 5 years. From a 5yr prospective. SRAM gained about 35% of the teams that were previously Shimano. I forget where I read that, I believe it was a French journal..Velo something, but thats pretty big numbers!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

Short-Change-Hero
    Riding a full XT system on my brother FS bike for the last six months then switching to SRAM I have to say I like the SRAM better. Took me all of about 20 minutes to get used to the shifting difference and listening to the lossless shifting vs the XT (tech put mine on the stand and then one with XT stuff and got the wheels spinning at high speed then fired through the shifts) it is definitely interesting to see that while both perform well the SRAM seemed to shift smoother/better when it came to jumping multiple gears. The sounds, "KACHUNK: shift when under load is similar between the two systems however the XT system had a bit of a noticeable lag between shifts while the SRAM seemed almost instant. I do have the occasional missfire but that is because of me forgetting what I am doing and attempting to shift like I was on the XT system. Again, will just be the change of habit for shifting but definitely love the SRAM systems.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Compelling, and rich.
    It's personal preference. Try to get a ride or two on each drivetrain and find out which you prefer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have SRAM X9 2x10 on my 2010 Jet 9 and it's been great. If I had to do it all over again, I might have gone with the X0 shifters though. You can adjust the reach on the X0 shifters. That might have been worth the up charge for me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you go with the SRAM though, go with the 26/39 crankset. Niner now posts that on their website.