mtbr member
    Mar 2015

XL Carbine Pro vs. 21.5" Remedy 9.8

I got caught up in road racing and have been off the trails for five years, but I'm coming back this year. I'm 6'-3" with extremely long legs, 180-190 lb, and do most of my riding in Post Canyon from my house. No shuttle. Occasional trips to other PNW trails and Moab. I rode my buddy Kosmo's 21.5" Remedy 9.8 for a couple of hours today and loved it. Unfortunately Trek's database says they're a couple of months out in that size. The other brand I can get an LBS deal on is Intense and looking at the specs, the Remedy is more or less in between the Carbine and Spider. In XL, the Intense bikes a have a longer ST, which is good, and TT, which I don't really need.

For those with experience with the Remedy carbon and either of the Intense bikes, how would you compare them? With the Carbine, I'd have the option of modding the Pike 160 down to 140, which might improve it on the trail (less slack HT, lower BB). Also, I love the orange. If I got the Spider I would probably upgrade the fork to a Pike 140, which would make it more expensive.

I'm also considering the Fuel EX 9.8, but that starts out a degree steeper than the Spider, which I don't think I'd like even after a fork upgrade.

I don't need the fastest thing uphill as long as it pedals well. I'm really looking for the most fun, confidence-inspiring bike for descending. I'm a little worried that the Carbine would be a bit of a pig compared to the Remedy, though.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A well priced competitive bike is the Evil Following.
    The Following | Evil Bikes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOL6C4-7ZQ
    ONE LAP - Lars Sternberg & Luke Strobel, Xanadu - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Running from a carbon proto 650 Transition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I thought Intense didn't do the XL sized Carbine? I know it's listed here and there but I don't know that you can get one. Would love to hear otherwise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As a Fuel 29" owner, I'll state it is a very capable bike, but frankly it climbs as well as it descends. I love it, and don't regret buying it but if I wanted more fun on the descents, I'd go Remedy every time.
    Also, the Remedy has that mino link which means you can make it more like a Fuel should you wish to.

Have fun choosing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the replies. After reading some more reviews I've been convinced that the Carbine would be too big a bike for most of my riding. The Following does look like a good bike, but I was told by their CS that the next shipment of frames is 3-4 weeks out and it wasn't known if an XL would be available. Trek and Intense are the two brands I can get a good deal on locally. My first choice is a Remedy 9.8 (currenly listed as late June availability in 21.5") and I'm now also considering a Spider 29c Pro build, probably with a fork upgrade to a 140mm Pike. I'm waiting to hear when I could get one in XL. I may be able to test ride one in L soon. I think the Fuel is a little steeper than I'd like, even with a longer fork, and I'd also have to think about upgrading to X1, which the Remedy and Spider have.