mtbr member
    Jul 2011

XC Racing : Frame Size

Hi All,

I知 new to XC racing as of this year and I知 looking for some advice. I bought a bike second hand last year specifically for racing this season. It痴 a 2014 Specialized Crave Pro. The bike was sold to me as a medium frame (I知 57) and I didn稚 bother measuring to confirm, as it felt OK to me on the test ride. After a little riding I made some tweaks to add a little comfort - like as a setback post and new saddle, and carried on riding it. Well, I ended up measuring the frame the other day, and it turns out that it痴 a 15.5.

The bike feels pretty good to me, but should I be concerned at all specifically in terms of racing it? What implications could this present? Could this be beneficial in any way? (I recognize that I really should be on a medium frame though.)

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The bike fits and you like the way it rides, what more information do you need?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I guess I知 just concerned about increasing the possibilities for injury, potentially over stressing the frame, or other implications I may not have considered. Simply seeking advice/expertise.

mtbr member
    15.5 seat tube does not mean much these days. In the old days it was more critical because that number meant something. Even in 2014 15.5 seat tube does not say much.

BTW I am 5'7" and ride small or medium frames, but that depends on the manufacture and how they size their bikes.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Medium Crave has a 17.5in seat tube length(measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube).

More important is the reach. As long as you're not feeling cramped and have to go to a real long stem...you should be ok. I think it comes with a 75mm stem stock.

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I rode a medium with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey Joe, I appreciate the input. Makes me feel a little bit better about the purchase. I stopped by a local bike shop today that sells Specialized, and they said they壇 put me on either a small or a medium.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm 5'6" and had a 2013 Carve up until last summer, I was also on a 15.5" bike.

The small has a 400mm reach and a 615mm stack, the medium has a 412mm reach and a 625mm stack.

Personally, I'd rather run a 10mm longer stem on the small to get the lower stack height than be on the medium and have my bars too high.

Now on my current bike, a 2016 Fuel Ex the small has 402mm reach and 597mm stack, the medium has a 433mm reach and a 597mm stack.

Given that the stack is the same between the two bikes, I'd rather be on the 17.5" with a shorter stem. However, I ended up getting a good deal on a 15.5" and am totally happy with it. I never feel like I would be faster if I was on the longer frame.

One suggestion for you now that you already have the bike, is to buy a bunch of stems and play around and figure out which length is most comfortable for you. After you figure that out then you can pick out frames based on their reach numbers and the stem length you would like to run.