mtbr member
    Nov 2011

XC Full Suspension Options

In the market for a new XC 29er to compliment my rigid SS. Here's what I've been looking at:

Salsa Spearfish 1

EPIC Comp 29er

Scalpel 29er Alloy 3

Niner Jet 9

That should give you an idea of my price range and about what I want in the bike.

Of these, the Spearfish looks to be the highest spec'd and lightest, but I really need whatever I get to last a long time - I read a review saying it was a "cheaper" frame than those of its competitors.

And I've only test ridden the Epic. The dealers around me (within 100 miles) are super small and don't have any of the other bikes.

What do you all think?

mtbr member
    I've never ridden any of those bikes besides a quick rip on a 2012 Epic. So I would be much help with that, but I would suggest looking at the Giant Anthem X 29er as well.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Giant Anthem and Niner have the best suspension design. If you could find a closeout, or lightly used, Pivot 429 you would have the Holy Grail

Might also take a look at the Tallboy Aluminum. VPP2 suspension and a pretty solid component spec for the price

Big Boy
    If you can hold off for a few more months you could get the carbon anthem. looks friggin sweet!!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jet 9 RDO freaking awesome!!! What I have so I am a bit biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Giant Anthem and Niner have the best suspension design.
    :
    According to who? Would love to see te scientific data.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    In the market for a new XC 29er to compliment my rigid SS. Here's what I've been looking at:

Salsa Spearfish 1

EPIC Comp 29er

Scalpel 29er Alloy 3

Niner Jet 9

That should give you an idea of my price range and about what I want in the bike.

Of these, the Spearfish looks to be the highest spec'd and lightest, but I really need whatever I get to last a long time - I read a review saying it was a "cheaper" frame than those of its competitors.

And I've only test ridden the Epic. The dealers around me (within 100 miles) are super small and don't have any of the other bikes.

What do you all think?
    I think it comes down to fit and what kind of riding you do. I was just in the same boat in the same price range. I rode all of those except the Specialized. The Scalpel was a great bike, but my lbs only had the 2 in stock at the time and I didn't want to wait a month or two. I might have given it more consideration if it was in stock.

I ended up with the Spearfish (I actually went with the 2 because the upgrades on the 1 weren't that important to me). The reason being is I wanted the fastest climber. The Jet is a great bike and will be a bit more plush absorbing things but imo won't climb quite as fast (although they still climb very well and the rdo flies). Don't get me wrong, the Spearfish flies downhill but I have more downhill skill then up so I wanted to give me as much of an advantage as possible in the up.

I have no complaints with my Spearfish. It had a great feel for me in the cockpit. You might like the feel of one of the others better. I would just try to ride them a couple times each. You won't go wrong with any of those bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's really amazing how the 29er thing has taken off. YOu look at the MTBR forums and more people visit the 29er side of the forum than the others.

Then you look at the bikes and they keep getting better and better. Even though I put my money down on a Tallboy Carbon, I can't recommend that to you because you have to try it for yourself. So for us to say that Niner or Giant has the best design is really relative to the rider and what feels comfortable to him and his type of riding and how he wants it to look.

Salsa has nice 29ers, Giant, Trek, Niner, Diamondback Sortie 29er, several from Specialized, Pivot, Cannondale, Turner, and now after I just ordered my Tallboy the new Tallboy LTc.

The competition is getting stiffer and to me that means we are getting better bikes but it makes our decisions more difficult.

The only problem with Cannondale to me is price. I think for what they offer they are way overpriced! Scalpels are sweet no doubt but pricey and for that you could go to the other companies mentioned, and many I left out, and get a possibly better build component wise.

But just keep looking and do your homework, there is many good ones to choose from now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    check out transition at CBO its on sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccqwe View Post
    Yep - please compare
    Wow...great post! Now that you're past 10 posts, go sell whatever it is your here to sell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i agree

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Demoed a Rocky Mountain Element and so far, best full sus I've ridden. Neighbor keeps offering me his Pivot to try!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by userdanman View Post
    i agree
    If you're trying to get you post count up, just reply to a new thread, not drag up a year old one.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large