mtbr member

XC 29er wheels: C29ssmax v. ZTR 355

Looking for some good, light XC wheels to go with a new 29er build. I'm tall and 185lbs so I'm not going to beat up a wheelset, but I can't go with the featherweight stuff either.

The Mavic Crossmax C29ssmax look good to me, very durable, although they aren't the lightest. The Notubes/Stan's ZTR series of wheels look hot and seem to be some of the lightest options out there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Kris
    Jan 2009

Good job! 29er Wheels

I have recently built a Niner single speed with Stan's ZTR Arch (I'm 215 lbs) rims mated with White industries hubs; built by Dave's Wheels in Arizona. About 1795 grams total. Running Mountain King 2.4's tubless. I love 'em! Consult with Dave about your riding style, he is very good: http://www.speeddream.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My friend rides the C29SSmax, and I run the 355s on I9 hubs/spoke.

The 355s are lighter and better for running tubeless with non-UST tires. And you can get better hubs than the Mavics for same price.

The Mavics are heavier, but I think stronger than the 355s.

I'd say if you are easy on your wheels, then I would go with the 355s. If you want a bit more stronger, I would go with another offering from NoTubes (Arch or Flow). If you want off-the-Shelf wheels that you can get at your LBS easily without having to think about it too much, then the Mavics are not a bad choice.

Former Bike Wrench
    Only get the Mavic Wheels if you intend on running UST or Tubeless Ready tires. The Stans rims are better suited for running standard tires tubeless (giving you a much larger selection) plus they use more standard off the shelf parts.