WTB Stout 29er 2.3 mini review

Pros:

Big
    Beefy sidewalls
    Good traction on loose stuff
    Runs low pressure nicely

Cons:

Heavy at 960 grams
    Slow rolling (compared to WTB Exiwolf 2.3, Bontrager XR 2.2, etc)
    walks around on hardpack
    Feels like dragging a dead body around.

I picked these tires up thinking they would be good for Sierra rides, Downieville, the heavier stuff. Performance has them for $25 each, and with a 10% off coupon they came to about $50 for a pair out the door. They don't stock them in the stores, so this was a red phone order.

I took them to China Camp for a simple spin around the park. My usual geared workout loop takes me up the steep rocky fireroad climb. Traction wasn't a problem, but keeping my now 31 pound (plus a full 100 oz Camelbak, which I normally don't ride with), slow rolling RacerX29er momentum going was a challenge... not to mention it was stupid hot that day. I wasn't feeling it.

The tire measured out to 2 3/8" tread width. I didn't measure the carcass. Knobs are widely spaced, and pretty dang tall. They mounted right up by hand on my WTB Laserdisc rims (using Lunar Lite tubes), and centered without having to mess with it (unlike my Kenda Karma 2.2s, which needed soapy water and loads of tire pressure to center). I ran them at 27 psi to start (I'm 200#), but I could have gone way lower.

I may add more later if I get a moment.

slow uphill
    the weight is a downside but these things are awesome for climbing - and they float on dry, loose stuff.

probably not for the racing crowd unless you're in the clyde division

my $0.02

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sounds like a tire you oughta save for winter.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    pimpy, I'll take them if you decide to get rid of them.

I put one on the front. My Sierra riding has improved 100%. It's a nice match with my style and trails. I'm afraid to post what I 'm using as a Sierra rear tire, but again, it's for me.

I've read more than once about "heavy..slow rolling" but mine has zero knobby noise on pavement(until you lean them over), rolls with or better than others in a group and I like 'em.
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 08-31-2009 at 05:54 AM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Front only there a great tyre, I'd like a few mm's taller for more float but soon hopefully, been on the front for nearly a year, rode through the winter fine, rode over wet rocks fine, it's a great do it all front tyre.

Rear it'd drag like a ***** and wear out in 2 rides though I'd sure.

The rubber is soft enough they don't make much noise on the front on roads!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like the traction and tough sidewalls, but I think the volume is a little too low, even on Gordos, to run much below 24psi (170lb rider). Great tire overall for rough and/or loose stuff, I just wish they were a little bigger for rigid riding. Those knobs on a WW sized tire would be killer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Agreed I wouldn't ride rigid, new tyres out soon though 2.5+'s aiming to build up a On One with Carbon On One forks as the rear is huge and slidey dropout to take bigger tyres and there cheap But not until huge volume and cushion is available.

Then just as a play bike for something different!!

Works out just shy of 1000 all in, with Deore level kit

Considered Spesh Hardrock also, dunno on rear tyre clearance though and if they are bringing them into the UK, but @700 all in with spare crap forks going that route.

workin' it Administrator
    I rode these for a couple of months in Arizona. While they are grippy and knobby and have endless traction they suffer from small casing-itis. I wish they where mounted on the same casing as the Weirwolf, as it is they necessitate low pressure to perform which can lead to pinch flats and dents.

Still they have a lot of traction and when you get to the that right pressure they are plush and compliant, just don't undershoot the perfect pressure.
    Try this: HTFU

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Sounds like a tire you oughta save for winter.

if it's cold enough, say, maybe sub 15* farenheit, the rubber hardens up quite a bit on the stout and it get's slippery. i would avoid them in the winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    new tyres out soon though 2.5+'s
    what tyre is this then??

Off the back...
    I got the folding version of the Stout, so it's a wee bit lighter. I've enjoyed them on my diSSent [with CR18 rims] quite a lot. In terms of grip, they're almost as good as the Rubber Queen 2.4, but need the extra volume. Regardless, they grip extremely well when it's dry, and they are wearing well. Mine are at a slightly high pressure [~30 psi front, ~27 psi rear], but I'm afraid to go too low. Next year I'm going to build up a wheelset with P35 rims and see how they work out. Of course, if Conti comes out with a RQ 2.4 in 700C...

is buachail foighneach me
    if 30 psi is "high", what are mine at 40+ psi?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For Rocks I can run ( front only ) @25 psi I'm 16stone, but on Mud the knobs fold in too much and I need 30+ to keep them out for mechanical traction.

So depends on what your riding.

A 29er RQ with super soft Black Chilli and 20% move volume GIVE ME!!! I tested Black Chilli and it's great rubber on standard form, comparing Speed King BC to Standard the rubber out sticks anything else I'd tried, horrible tyre though.

mtbr member
    I have about 3 rides on a stout in the rear and I like it a lot. I got it so that I wouldn't lose traction in the rear while climbing on my SS. It works for that. It is kinda slow rolling on the flats like a 4x4 tire.
    There's always money in the banana stand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I can ride pretty much anything on the rear in even mud so as fast rolling as possible for me, I've used Prowler SS's ( Fast ) and Small Block 8's on the rear ( SLOW ) in mud without many issues.

2.2 Race King here tomorrow Quickest rear tyre going with volume.

* I ride a 69er

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    if 30 psi is "high", what are mine at 40+ psi?
    Um, "higher"? If I ran 40+ on my local trails, I'd be losing traction and fillings pretty much constantly. The diSSent is rigid SS, so I keep the pressure where it is for comfort and performance. My FS bike runs 2.4" tires under 25 psi with no trouble.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They where okay when I first had it, but at 25 you can push the knobs in with my fingers to flat fairly easily, they ride almost like slicks so I actually find I have to run all tyres these days harder to keep the knobs sticking out.

Try it for mud!!

The new Mitchelin Extreme has harder rubber under the tread to stop this happening, low pressure and pointy knobs but sadly not 29".

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Blowout Price

FYI, Performance is blowing these tires out at $20.

Get 'em b4 they're gone!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.